• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

Just for yucks, check out Dennis' one-star review on the 8x32 SV on B&H, from March I think. Always a hoot, Dennis. Comic relief I guess. ;)

PS: Dennis got his one-star review (notice the hyphen and the correct use of parentheses) removed from B&H. Make of that what you want.

I tried something similar, on a Russian 12x40, some 20 years ago, inspired by some pictures of old binoculars I had seen. I've still got the binoculars, couldn't find the contraption I made though. I also used wood, even covered it in rubber. The plan was to make a headrest in aluminium if it worked. It did to some extent, but the effect was too small to be of any real significance. So the idea (and presumably the contraption I'd made) ended up in the bin.

I'm sure the Swarovski headrest will be a better, but I doubt it's worth the effort. That remains to be seen though.

I think a headrest may well work on a scope or a binocular on a stable tripod. In that case you may be able to stabilise the head against the scope/binocular rather than the other way round. Such headrests were used in some (large) military binoculars, e.g. the 25x100 used in WW II.

Hermann

Swaro didn't invent the headrest by a far margin, someone a few centuries ago suggested a cap with a telescope mounted on as a stabilised optical aid to navigation by the stars.

Edmund

One of many reasons whey you just can't take this guy seriously anymore.

Seems unduly harsh to me.
There is nothing wrong with one or two star reviews, they are often much more usefully informative than the five star accolades. Plus we all know that our reaction to a new binocular varies greatly between individuals.
So maybe Dennis hated the SV initially, but later reconsidered. I'd view that willingness to change course as a positive, although recognizing that a consistent perspective helps build appreciation by others.

"How many brave souls have pre-ordered the new NL ?"

I think some patience is warranted on the pre-order, at least for me. I will wait until they actually circulate out there a bit. With the Covid issue, service/repair has been, well...lagging, (all manufacturers), so who knows how production of a new glass requiring retooling has been implemented. Just being the conservative I am.

Additionally, I will no doubt get some descriptions of the FOV, how sharp are they really to the edge.

Andy W.

Last edited:
"How many brave souls have pre-ordered the new NL ?"

I think some patience is warranted on the pre-order, at least for me.

Me too Andy,

I remember when the SF launched many pre-ordered before trying one, and lets be honest the grey models needed a little tweaking with the black models following in short time.

John.

580&581

A bit off topic, but how can post #580 be a reply to #581?
Anti-causality? Now you have the proof that the author of #581 is from another planet/universe.

Is it usually an issue with new releases, that stock is quickly running low and orders get delayed? Or what are the benefits or pre-ordering? With iPhones and stuff I understand that, but is it also the case with binoculars?

A bit off topic, but how can post #580 be a reply to #581?
Anti-causality? Now you have the proof that the author of #581 is from another planet/universe.

The same question was earlier posted by denco on another corresponding thread - hence seemingly receiving an answer before being asked on this thread.

Last edited:
Is it usually an issue with new releases, that stock is quickly running low and orders get delayed? Or what are the benefits or pre-ordering? With iPhones and stuff I understand that, but is it also the case with binoculars?

I imagine that some people just want to be amongst the first to have and use a new product so pre ordering is the way to secure that desire.
And getting sufficient initial stock in from the manufacture is always tricky...... you dont want to have money tied up in surplus units hanging around for months on end.

That Black-billed Cuckoo was way off track, but the response! Those are some serious birders!

When I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio a Garganey stopped by. The scope line was impressive but nothing like that!

Black and Yellow-billed Cuckoos are fairly common here. A little wary as it turns out. They like to turn their brown backs to you so you don't see their white breast and striped tail.

In general, I'm not an "early adopter" either. I can wait on the NL, mostly because I'm a bit tired of lugging around a 42mm. I can be swayed, however, depending on the reviews. ;)

I'll bet there is a certain amount of apprehension circulating in Wetzlar at the moment. If the inevitable and already eagerly anticipated 8x32 NL is subjectively only marginally 'better' than the 8x32 SF or even very similar and Swarovski pitch it at just sub-2k, the SF could end up dead in the water, despite all the hype it has received. This could be a major coup for Swarovski and an equivalent blow to Zeiss in the exciting world of optics wars! At just shy of 2k, I may be tempted to upgrade my 2004 vintage 8x32EL; any more and 'I'm out', as they say.

Edit: Of course, I could equally be tempted by an 8x32SV FP in the meantime!;):t:

RB

Last edited:
I'll bet there is a certain amount of apprehension circulating in Wetzlar at the moment. If the inevitable and already eagerly anticipated 8x32 NL is subjectively only marginally 'better' than the 8x32 SF or even very similar and Swarovski pitch it at just sub-2k, the SF could end up dead in the water, despite all the hype it has received. This could be a major coup for Swarovski and an equivalent blow to Zeiss in the exciting world of optics wars! At just shy of 2k, I may be tempted to upgrade my 2004 vintage 8x32EL; any more and 'I'm out', as they say.

RB

It is doubtful NL 32 will be launched in this year, perhaps not until BirdFair August 2021 or even later, because Swaro will want as many people as possible to buy the more expensive 42mm instead of the 32.

Lee

Sometimes around the States...they give you a 10% or more discount for pre-order as I have seen with the SF.

RB

You accidentally wrote sub-2k where you definitely should have written sub-3K. I see no reason why Swarovski would ever make them cheaper than the SF, with all the fanboys blindly buying whatever comes out from Absam, irregardless of it being better or worse than the competition.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back