• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Vs Leica (1 Viewer)

sebii

Avian Peeper
Leica Apo-Televid 77 Vs Swarovski AT80HD

Which is the better scope? This is my crossover from 35mm to digital and I'm leaning towards the Leica from the results I've seen on the net but I'm just not sure! I plan to use it with the CP 4500 (if this is the camera I decide on)...

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation except I've already purchased a 4500 and am still working on the particulars as far as the menu's go, a whole bunch of nested menus in there.
I'm leaning towards the Swarovski myself. The sheer quantity of people using the Swarovski and the results they get have pretty much convinced me. Lawrence Poh's comparison pics also made a strong impression.
Should be able to scrape up the remaining cash required shortly.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Oops, :-C I just realized this probably belongs in the 'Spotting Scopes and Eyepeices' section.

Sorry!

Last edited:
I use Leica for birding (firstly) and also digiscoping with the 4500. If you are going to spend a lot of money (over£1000 here) you should try both. In the UK a lot of the suppliers do field days where you can try scopes and bins "in action". If you can do the same it really is worth it. Then go with the one that feels right to you. Personally I preferred the Leica having tried both and 1 or 2 others, but it is purely personal. Go with your own feel - don't take someone elses word for it.

Robin

Not much in it between the two, probably the best indication is that a number of people have sold their APO77's to get a Swarovski for digiscoping.
The individual regarded as the 'godfather' of digiscoping (Laurence Poh) moved from APO77 to AT80HD because he felt the images produced were sharper and more detailed. This is a feeling shared amongst those who have been digiscoping for a few years.
You won't go wrong with either, though remember the AT80HD isn't as heavy as the APO77 (the new ATS80HD is far lighter and more compact than the competition)
Using the scope in a conventional manner (not taking photos through it), there's likely to be even less difference between them. Though I think the Swarovski gives a brighter image.
Andy

Hello

Just to put a spanner in the works,
theres a new mark 2 20-60x zoom eyepiece for the leica.
which gives constant eye relief and someone was saying edge to edge sharpness (sounds impressive to me!)
Whether its as sharp as the swaro i dont know.
Its what Ive been using with the cp4500 and its brilliant.
I couldnt justify the extra 400 pound I would have had to spend to get the swaro and Im very happy with the leica apo77
regards
Pete.

Hi,
and if you are struggling for cash for the Leica/Swaro then the Kowa 820M series is not far behind them and is a little cheaper.

Colin

Hi all,

A bit off topic but, how does the Diascope Zeiss fit in this purpose?
The local dealer here (Belgium) speaks about a very competetive price for the 85 mm?
Are there people out here who has experience with the Zeiss?

Yes, I've been testing the Zeiss 85fl for the last month, I'll post my findings in the near future..... but certainly a top scope, nice and lightweight as well.
Andy

Just to put another spanner in the works there is a cheaper alternative to the above scopes.The scope in question is the opticron ES80 it has HD glass & is the one i,ve been using for several months now & i,m extremely impressed with the results.No chromatic abberation etc bright sharp images.

Is anyone using the new Swarovski ATS80HD for digiscoping yet? I would love to see how it compares to the older AT80HD.

I was wondering about the new mark 2 20-60 zoom eyepiece for the leica that peteee mentioned. We are just about ready to purchase a leica apo 77 so I have a recent catalog from them. It does not refer to any of their eyepieces as "mark 2". Who makes this eyepiece?
Yes, I agree with Peteee- I too am having a hard time with the price difference since our evoluation of the two a couple of years ago was equally favorable. Actually, I should'nt talk too loud about prices since we are also concidering the Questar. Went the other day to their factory (it's not too far from my home). Can't bet the image, but concerned about how rugged it is for field use. Thanks.

Santos

What is a mark 2 Leica eyepiece.

Is it just, that the new eyepiece fits both the 62mm & 77mm objective.

Is the performance different against the old eyepiece, f.o.v. etc

I certainly would like to know.

I hate decisions like this ;~)

I'm hoping that some one has had some experience with them and is able to come up with some info or observations to Andy Holt's post.

Are the improvements noticeable or is the new ATS-80 HD about the same as the AT-80 HD is. I've been able to find some AT-80 HD's for around $1,000 US. Not a bad price at all!

Decisions, decisions...:-C

I have looked at some prices (UK RRP) for Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss, all fitted with a 20 - 60 eyepiece:

Leica APO 77mm + Eye Piece = £1209
Swarovski HD 80mm (new) + Eye Piece = £1516
Zeiss 85mm Fl + Eye Piece = £1290

I could not find the prices for Kowa and Opticron.

mak said:
I have looked at some prices (UK RRP) for Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss, all fitted with a 20 - 60 eyepiece:

Leica APO 77mm + Eye Piece = £1209
Swarovski HD 80mm (new) + Eye Piece = £1516
Zeiss 85mm Fl + Eye Piece = £1290

I could not find the prices for Kowa and Opticron.

In Focus
http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_scopes.html
KOWA TSN 823M (ANGLED) WITH 20-60x ZOOM EYEPIECE at £839.00
OPTICRON ES80A WITH 20-60x HDF ZOOM EYEPIECE at £526.00

Sherwoods
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/opticron_scope/opticron_scope.htm
OPTICRON ES80A WITH 20-60x HDF ZOOM EYEPIECE at £500.00

Last edited:
South-West Optics

www.swoptics.co.uk

Leica APO 77 Televid 20x60 zoom £949

Swarovski ATS80HD 20x60 zoom £1,499 (I don't believe for a second that it is £400 better than the Leica - but that's just my opinion)

Opticron ES80 20x60 zoom + stay on case £499

Kowa TSN 823 x32 + stay on case £929

As a bonus you get free postage, packing, insurance and next day delivery. The owner is also a birder, which is always a plus!

The best price that I have seen for the Kowa 823M with 32x is £799. That is not far off half the price of the Swaro. My eyes do not get on with the Swaro scopes so I wouldn't buy one anyway but they are certainly not twice as good as the Kowa. Leica lenses are excellent but the engineering on the moving parts and the after sales service are a little bit to be desired in my opinion and that is all that it is, so I am a Kowa fan.

Colin

I'm now waiting for my new Zeiss 85FL to arrive. I do get 20-60x eyepiece. My plans are to get me a CoolPix 4500 for digiscoping, therefore I eagerly wait for Andys opinion on that combination. I have found no discussion so far on digiscoping with the Zeiss!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back