• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (3 Viewers)

Colleen mainly white gouache in the under painting of the bird & wood the rest is water colour. there's some lovely effects painting on to white gouache.

Nice one Arthur! Some beautiful, bright, Norfolk style sunshine for him to fly into.

All the chicks have left the nest now.

Mike

Arthur, I always enjoy your paintings, as well as others, but don't usually comment - just enjoy silently. But this last painting of the swallow just brought a story to mind and I wanted to share it.

I was talking with a Chinese friend who grew up in a small country village, and when we were talking about birds, she told me that people where she lived were very fond of swallows, considering them lucky birds. As a matter of fact people literally opened their doors to the swallows, and would be happy if they would nest in (!) the house (I think she was describing in the rafters). I have tried to picture having a swallow in my house, even if a very simple house, and couldn't quite see it. However, your picture brought the story back to mind (though that's not quite what you intended I'm sure). Still, I thought her story charming, and your lovely image helped it come to life for me.

That's a very lovely story and a beautiful idea Gretchen. And you're quite right, Arthur's work usually has me admiring in silence, too.

Hi Gretchen,
Lovely to hear from you and glad you enjoy our paintings on BF,
A lovely story and I remember a documentry on China which showed exactly what you described.
Unfortunately with modern building methods a lot of birds who live closely with Humans are losing their nesting sites unless we build in an alternative for them.

Hi Tim , probably speechless because how bad it is .

Back home in Norfolk if Mikes left me anything to sketch.

Woke to a new tick for in the Garden 2 Green Sandpipers in the stream.

+Water colour sketch

Attachments

• L1170985.jpg
    L1170985.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 71
  • L1180002.jpg
    L1180002.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 87
Hi Arthur, welcome home! I had the best of the weather this year so whatever you did to appease the Norfolk rain Gods, I thank you for it!

Nice bunch of sketches there, especially the watercolour. I caught sight of green sand on the pond where I was two or three times over the week, it looks like they're on the move.

Mike

superb sketches, instantly recogniseable as green sands, lucky you, I haven't caught up with any of these beauties for a while now.

Hi Arthur,

Just after I'd determined that the bird in lower right corner was the one I liked the best I realized that that was the same one you chose for the watercolor. Very good!

And as Clive says, how great is it to have these in your garden!

Ken

Must get back to sketching soon.
These are up in Picturecraft Gallery in Lees Yard , HOLT if you are about in North Norfolk I have space on the wall for a month.

Attachments

• L1180384.jpg
    L1180384.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 80
Oh yes, Arthur - good man!
These look fabulous together. Jolly good luck, old bean - nice to exchange a few bits of paper for a few more bits of paper. I'm rootin' for ya!

Great to see them all together Arthur! I think I now need to go look at them individually in your gallery. Not quite the same as being there but it will still be enjoyable. Best of luck with the show.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back