• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

A few images for Nick to show 'it's not all birds!' :t:

1. Beautiful? Demoiselles.
2. Don't know id of this but thing the yellow may be an egg sac?
3. Ladybird Nymph?
4. Lacewing-Chrysopa perla?
5. Mating Black Tailed Skimmers

Rob

Attachments

• DSC_7031 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_7031 - Version 2.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_7141 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_7141 - Version 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_7138 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_7138 - Version 2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_7144.jpg
    DSC_7144.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 65
  • _ROB5557 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5557 - Version 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 68
I would say Beautiful on the left, Banded on the right Rob.

I paid a brief visit this morning, a Marbled White showed very briefly.

I barely did any birding.

1 Blue-tailed Damselfly ( rufescens)
2 Blue-tailed Damselfly
3 Cinnabar Caterpillar
4 Longhorn Beetle

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 58
  • forum12.jpg
    forum12.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 53
  • forum15.jpg
    forum15.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 51
  • forum13.jpg
    forum13.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 67
JTB reports four Med Gulls this afternoon - two adults and a second summer at the Flashes; a different second summer at the Moors.

I would say Beautiful on the left, Banded on the right Rob.

I paid a brief visit this morning, a Marbled White showed very briefly.

I barely did any birding.

1 Blue-tailed Damselfly ( rufescens)
2 Blue-tailed Damselfly
3 Cinnabar Caterpillar
4 Longhorn Beetle

Thanks mate for id. At least it wasn't under water today!

Rob

Cheers John,
Yes, those were all taken with the HS10 and 2.2 converter. Luckily it was sunny, so the converter worked ok this time - but it can be very 'hit and miss' to be honest with you. I try not to use the converter where possible as the focus is never as good (caused by the lower shutter speed I guess?).

Comparing the shots you and I got of the 1st summer Meds, I think they look like different birds, with yours having a more distinctive mask. What do you reckon?

Cheers,
Si
Hi Si
There were 3 different 1st summers yep we have photographed two different ones.:t:john

This morning's sightings were as follows:

FLASHES
1 adult Med Gull, 7 Avocet + 5 chicks, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 LRP, 2 Curlew, 6 Lapwing, 2 Cormorant dropped in briefly, 3 Gadwall (2 eclipse males + 1 female), 9 Tufted Duck, 9 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 2 Mute Swan, 3 Canada Geese, 1 Common Tern
To add to Phil's sightings: 3 Meds - 2 ads and a 2nd summer, 8 ads Avocet, 3 LRP, 14 lapwing, green sand, Teal pr, Tufted c15, common tern 2, sedge warbler and 4 juvs at back of hen pool - one of very few this year.l
MOORS POOL
1 second summer Med Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 4 GC Grebe + 2 chicks, 2 Little Grebe, 4 Cormorant, 9 Tufted D, 72 Coot, 2 Common Tern, 75 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swan + 3 cygnets, 4 Lapwing, 2 Oystercatcher + 2 chicks, Peregrine around the masts, Little Owl on chimney of Hobden Hall Farm and Yellowhammer flew over east path (as per Dave J)
To add : common tern 7, Oystercatcher with 3 CHICKS,
SAILING POOL
6 GC Grebe + 1 fledged youngster, 2 Coot, 2 Common Tern
Education reserve - at least 4 reed warbler in both reed beds, the top reed bed has been well and truly been wetted by the flood. Today I counted 14 chiffchaffs singing over all 3 areas (Moors, Flashes and ER)

The water level at the North Moors is 0.54 (6cm higher than pre flood level)
Amy's Marsh 0.84 (10 cm higher), Flashes 0.53 (7cm higher)
several ringlets at the Moors and red admiral in ER.
B :)John

Last edited:
Water levels at Flashes

If anyone goes down to do, could you note the water level and let me know what it is. I would guess it would be just about 0.5metres. We have rigged up a temporary overflow, as the original adjustable pipe has been washed away. It is important that the water doesn't drop too much, too quickly.

Quick visit to Flashes to get water level (0.5).
2 Adult Med Gulls. 2 poss 3 LRPs one pair of which were seen to mate & look as though they might nest again! Common Sandpiper reported.

Rob

Last edited:
To add to Phil's sightings: 3 Meds - 2 ads and a 2nd summer, 8 ads Avocet, 3 LRP, 14 lapwing, green sand, Teal pr, Tufted c15, common tern 2, sedge warbler and 4 juvs at back of hen pool - one of very few this year.l

At lest 2 juvenile Sedgies showing in front of the concrete hide last evening.

At lest 2 juvenile Sedgies showing in front of the concrete hide last evening.
Rob
Since the floods there have been 4 broods or young sedge warblers seen around the reserve.
see you in the morning.:t:John

Some pics from yesterday at the Flashes

Attachments

• 1.Pair Med Jul 2012 (2).JPG
    1.Pair Med Jul 2012 (2).JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.GUD 2nd sum Med (2).JPG
    2.GUD 2nd sum Med (2).JPG
    161 KB · Views: 68
  • FL 0.53 1st July (2).JPG
    FL 0.53 1st July (2).JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 4cropPair Med Jul 2012 (3).jpg
    4cropPair Med Jul 2012 (3).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 89
A few images for Nick to show 'it's not all birds!' :t:

1. Beautiful? Demoiselles.
2. Don't know id of this but thing the yellow may be an egg sac?
3. Ladybird Nymph?
4. Lacewing-Chrysopa perla?
5. Mating Black Tailed Skimmers

Rob

Hi Rob,

The Ladybird Nymph is that of a 7-spot Ladybird. Hope this helps.

Jase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back