• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown, Ilha Grande, Brasil (1 Viewer)

wintibird

André Weiss
Opus Editor
I've seen this bird in october on Ilha Grande in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil. The bird was on a big dead tree, inside the forest, together with a Picazuro Pigeon (the bigger bird on one of the pictures). It was an overcast, grey day, so the picture is not the best.
Can anyone help?

André

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 30
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 28
I've seen this bird in october on Ilha Grande in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil. The bird was on a big dead tree, inside the forest, together with a Picazuro Pigeon (the bigger bird on one of the pictures). It was an overcast, grey day, so the picture is not the best.
Can anyone help?

André

Looks to me like a piculet. According to this:

it should be ochre-collared piculet and indeed I believe I can see an ochre collar. However, this:

does not mention that species but only white-barred for the location. These two species [if they are species...] apparently interbreed. So it's one of these and which probably depends on your point of view.

There are no barbets in that part of the world but yes, that's not a piculet bill. This is actually a female Swallow Tanager. Those tanagers have a very broadly based bill, barred flanks etc

There are no barbets in that part of the world but yes, that's not a piculet bill. This is actually a female Swallow Tanager. Those tanagers have a very broadly based bill, barred flanks etc

Perhaps you're right but it's unlike any female swallow tanager I've ever seen. I too thought it was a barbet when I first saw the pic but then realised there are none there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back