• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymology of scientific bird names (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
Although a computer tyro only newly registered in BirdForum I have benefited from browsing the many threads in the Taxonomy & Nomenclature Forum (e.g. the recent introduction to new genera created by Balatskiy). As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

Thanks, James! We now have an avenue to contact you. I searched for such a couple of weeks ago to ask you a question, unfortunately exactly which has now slipped my mind.

Welcome, James. As I hope is evident from many of my posts, I find your dictionary an exceptionally useful resource. Great to know that you're developing it even further.

Excellent news. I've owned your dictionary for years & will be first in line for the new edition when it comes out.

Although a computer tyro only newly registered in BirdForum I have benefited from browsing the many threads in the Taxonomy & Nomenclature Forum (e.g. the recent introduction to new genera created by Balatskiy). As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

Welecome, James! Any chance of the 3rd edition being ready for the British Bird Fair, say 2013?
MJB

Precautionary measure

... As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

James, as I understood by another thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264922&highlight=2022
... your 3rd edition is way, way ahead ("2022"!)... but I would like to know how to order the "2011 reprint with corrections". I have the 2010 edition, but when I´ve searched for the 2011 edition most suppliers only offer or show me the first one. Do you have a certain "key word", alternate publisher?, new ISBN? different cover? or someting else that could secure that I´m ordering the 2nd edition?

As you might have seen I´ve recently joined the etymological discussion here on Bird Forum. The reason for that is that I´m compiling a book on the "Common Swedish Names" of birds, and naturaly some of these (more or less) coincide with their Scientic names. Thats why I´m so eager to get my hand on your "updated" 2nd edition. So far the 2010 edition has been of invaluable help, but I´ve found a few (like yourself in that edition) where there seem to be some question-marks, and I thought; "Why invent the wheel twice" ... lets get that second one!

Maybe this post can be regarded as somewhat obsolete by now ...

However, even if present since 2015 ("2015-12-16") in/on the Internet Archive, James Jobling's The Helm Dictionary of scientific bird names – from aalge to zusii (2010) is now (also) found, in full, in the BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library); "added 03/20/2022":
Many scientific bird names describe a bird's habits, habitat, distribution or a plumage feature, while others are named after their discoverers or in honour of prominent ornithologists. This extraordinary work of reference lists the generic and specific name for almost every species of bird in the world and gives its meaning and derivation. In the case of eponyms brief biographical details are provided for each of the personalities commemorated in the scientific names. This fascinating book is an outstanding source of information which will both educate and inform, and may even help to understand birds.

[here]​

Alt. here, or here.

Of course, it's a bit dated, in some parts, and certainly so in comparison to the far more recent (all digital) Key to Scientific Names, constantly, frequently updated (here), though the Book itself is still very useful (and nice to look at), if/when off-line ... ;)

Either way, enjoy!

Björn

PS. Not to confuse with the (less reliable) The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, by Beolens, Watkins & Grayson, Christopher Helm/Bloomsbury Ornithology Books (2014).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back