• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black or Common Guillemot, Juvenile and/or Winter plumage, Smoela, Norway 07 Aug 2018 (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Delia saw this one land in the bay outside our hotel windows yesterday morning. I got a few distant shots before it flew off again. (Dashing out for those shots with our biggish cameras was what caught the attention of a journalist from the local NRK Radio offices, which got us the chance to put in a plug for Birdforum.) Unfortunately, we never got very close to the bird, though. So now we're not entirely sure whether this is a juvenile or adult winter bird, and though we're leaning towards Black Guillemot (Teist), we can see how it might possibly be a Common Guillemot. Though the shots I got are poor quality and heavily cropped, I did get a number of "poses" (profile, flight, upper wing, underwing) so we figure you good folks at ID Forum can nail it down for us. Thanks in advance |=)|

Attachments

• DSC_0242 (2).JPG
    DSC_0242 (2).JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0253 (2).jpg
    DSC_0253 (2).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0255 (2).JPG
    DSC_0255 (2).JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0256 (2).JPG
    DSC_0256 (2).JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 52
Mmmmm..... thanks Andrew. That really was a nice surprise breakfast treat LOL.

Ditto to Tystie - not sure whether juvenile, or adult moulting to winter plumage. Common Guillemot doesn't have the white patch on the upperwing, and is a longer, heavier bird.

Thanks! We were almost sure of Teist (Tystie, Black Guillemot) when we got the flight shots showing the white patch on the wings, but thought it best to check and learn. There's always room to learn more |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back