• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

34 Pine Warbler
35 Blue-headed Vireo
36 Purple Finch
37 Belted Kingfisher
38 Fox Sparrow
39 Song Sparrow
40 White-throated Sparrow
41 Red-shouldered Hawk
42 Black-throated Green Warbler
43 Great Blue Heron
44 Broad-winged Hawk
45 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
46 Hermit Thrush

Flood gates finally opened here, with a fair number of new arrivals over the weekend. Still more that I've seen nearby but not yet in the garden. Watch out here I come!

Head to head again... :eek!:

At first link to those Siskins from last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWZk-JYb0s&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=6&t=0s

#38. White Wagtail
#39. Curlew
#40. Mallard
#41. Song Thrush
- This one caught a worm dinner for himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S7FbMmA530&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=4
#42. Common Redstart
#43. Pied Flycatcher
#44. Lesser Black-backed Gull
(ssp fuscus)
#45. Barnacle Goose - about 50 heading to East
#46. Black Scoter - 17 headed to South-East. Last year I got this (and Long-tailed Duck) 11th May, so these were ahead of time. Hopefully the LtD fly over yard soon.

To the end a few photos of the garden creatures.

Attachments

• bbmehii.jpg
    bbmehii.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 13
  • bbrusa.jpg
    bbrusa.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 10
  • bborava.jpg
    bborava.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 12
  • bbvaris.jpg
    bbvaris.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 11
  • bbseplu.jpg
    bbseplu.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 8

At first link to those Siskins from last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWZk-JYb0s&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=6&t=0s

#38. White Wagtail
#39. Curlew
#40. Mallard
#41. Song Thrush
- This one caught a worm dinner for himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S7FbMmA530&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=4
#42. Common Redstart
#43. Pied Flycatcher
#44. Lesser Black-backed Gull
(ssp fuscus)
#45. Barnacle Goose - about 50 heading to East
#46. Black Scoter - 17 headed to South-East. Last year I got this (and Long-tailed Duck) 11th May, so these were ahead of time. Hopefully the LtD fly over yard soon.

You've got me Wari-ed. :eek!:

hmm...still no Siskins here, though I have friends nearby who have seen them, so maybe soon!

I have hit and passed the big 50 though:
47 Black-and-white Warbler
48 Yellow-rumped Warbler
49 Blackburnian Warbler
50 Black-throated Blue Warbler
51 Nashville Warbler
52 Northern Parula

Rainy day today, so sat by the upstairs window keeping my eye out for duck flyovers and warblers passing through. The trees have exploded in buds in the last couple of days, so we're into the last few days of easy viewing.

Understand your joy.
Was at Oakwell this afternoon watching the reds take another massive step towards promotion.

Good stuff Toby, my Uncle and Auntie lived next to the ground on Grove Street, only garden birds there when I was a lad were the Barnsley subspecies of House Sparrow, Passer domesticus sootycus, the darkest sparrows I ever saw! Enjoy the birding in Mallorca:t:[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Birding was excellent and we had a promotion party.
Perfect break 👍
Everything used to be sooty when the pits were open 😁

Only a single Wood Sandpiper today, and the flood pool is basically dired up, so doubt I'll get much more on that, but quite a nice bunch of birds today, including Hawfinch, at least three Golden Orioles, Savi's Warbler singing on territory, a couple of Black Terns.

Pair of Marsh Harriers breeding too, always nice.

94. Black Tern
95. Common Tern
96. Golden Oriole
97. Sedge Warbler
98. Savi's Warbler.

Another Swallowtail too.

hmm...still no Siskins here, though I have friends nearby who have seen them, so maybe soon!

I have hit and passed the big 50 though:
47 Black-and-white Warbler
48 Yellow-rumped Warbler
49 Blackburnian Warbler
50 Black-throated Blue Warbler
51 Nashville Warbler
52 Northern Parula

Rainy day today, so sat by the upstairs window keeping my eye out for duck flyovers and warblers passing through. The trees have exploded in buds in the last couple of days, so we're into the last few days of easy viewing.

And there you go... :flyaway:

You have so many warblers there. I saw few of them back in two years ago in Cuba - Really beautiful birds. I got just one warbler :-C

#47. Willow Warbler - I hear it singing every morning now.

And there you go... :flyaway:

You have so many warblers there. I saw few of them back in two years ago in Cuba - Really beautiful birds. I got just one warbler :-C

#47. Willow Warbler - I hear it singing every morning now.

Yes indeed. It always makes me chuckle when people complain about IDing warblers over here. Not that they are easy, but at least there is some variety in colour - you've got a fighting chance! With up to 20 species spotted in my yard so far, they definitely make up the bulk of my year list!

53. Osprey
54. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
55. Ovenbird
56. Chipping Sparrow
57. Northern Waterthrush (heard only. Will be surprised if I ever see it in!)
58. White-crowned Sparrow - first ever visit, three this morning. Takes my garden life list to 105.

Three additions this month being:-

40 - Shelduck (9th May) - two of the locals flying around presumably a pair followed by two pairs a couple of days later

41 - Sedge Warbler (14th May) - singing bird on the adjacent drainage channel on a dawn listen courtesy of some indigestion

42 - Reed Warbler (14th May) - same as above - both occur with maybe Reed Warbler doing better for us in our roadside ditches than Sedge Warbler

All the best

Double counted Mallard earlier in the year, but forgot Wood Warbler! So all square at 98.

But some good stuff in the last days. My third ever, a singing Little Crake the main highlight (to a backdrop of Bittern, Golden Orioles, Savi's Warbler and Common Rosefinch. Marsh Harrier and Crane breeding, seven breeding pairs of Great White Egret (a long expected and hoped for addition).

Not quite on the quality of Little Crake, also sneaked a wandering Feral Pigeon, another traditional spring species in these parts :)

99. Little Crake
100. Feral Pigeon
101. House Martin
102. Garden Warbler
103. Common Rosefinch

This morning after 5 o'clock, I climbed on Sauna's roof with binos and scope in my backpack. Roof is about 5 metres from ground and I thought I'd see a lot more from there than from the yard. Truth was little bit different what I remembered, there is so much tall trees around. Anyway, the view was better than from ground level. I spend there an hour and half and got couple new garden ticks:

#48. Arctic loon - 12 of them flew to East,
#49. Great Cormorant - first 3 birds flew West and after half an hour 2 birds to East,
#50. Sterna sp. - Common or Arctic,
#51. Acrocephalus sp. - This was really tricky one. It sang a moment in one bush, then I saw it flew on plumtree, and sang again, maybe a 10 or 15 seconds - and then nothing. It completely disappeared. :-C And I did'n see it at all when it was still. I've always had trouble separating Blyth's and Marsh Warblers by the song and this song sounded very strange. There was something similar than Sedge Warblers song, or even Great Reed Warblerish. :eek!: In a middle of the suburb. I manage to record 20 second video, where you can hear only the harsh part of the song (Great R. W.ish part). Perhaps this mystery can not be solved ever which isn't nice, because this was my first Acrocephalus-warbler in my yard.

Also I saw one far away Swallow or Martin (I leave this case open so far) and about 400 Barnacle's flew to East and 3 to West.

After I climbed down, I saw 2
#52. Common Swifts

Jos, Paul and Wari, your combined latest additions are all needed here, that's 13 species I haven't yet seen for the Garden List this year, I'm really pleased for you all.

Really.:-C

Singing Little Crakes and various Acros, I ask you.................

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back