• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light transmission of spotting scopes (3 Viewers)

That may well be true that one who is digiscoping, benefits fast helical focuser over dual focuser. I used to have Nikon Fieldscope 82ED and did some digiscoping with it and now as I remember, the fast helical focuser was good feature to have.

In other use, I found Nikon's focusing system just too fast and it caused quite much shaking when tracking flying birds.

In my usual use of scope, I don't need fast focus ability (i.e. to be able to fast focus for example from 300 meters to say below 10 meters) because I mostly need the scope for ID quite distant flying birds say about 300m-10km away from me. In that use it's much more important to have enough slow focusing because one is using high mags. and it's essential to have as little shaking as it is possible. I basically don't do digiscoping at all nowadays. Thats why my preference is dual focuser.

So as I interpreted your post, I totally agree with you, that what focusing system is the best option, depends heavily on what will the primary use of the scope be. And still someone likes helical or dual focuser anyway; it's also a bit individual thing.

Juhani

PS. I finally chose Kowa over Meopta and I'm now enjoying it's dual focuser (but which could be just a bit slower also...).

Can't go wrong with a Kowa.... good scope. I too think it is a individual preference thing, for helical or dual focus. Each to their own. I did like the Meopta though and was just about ready to purchase it as opposed to the Swaro but I found a rep who was trying out both at the same time in the field and that is when I saw the difference. It could have just been the model of Meotpa he had too, as I was impressed with it, Have fun, jim

A few scopes with helical focusers (Nikon Monarch ED, Zeiss Gavia, current Vortex Razor and possibly a few more) have very effective variable speed focusers that gradually change from fast focus at close distances where a fast focus is needed to a slower finer focus at longer range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back