• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Highlands based photographer, only been taking an interest in birds for 2 or 3 years, but I find myself going out more and more for birds than anything else. Here's a raven's nest I discovered this year. First time I've ever got close enough to photograph one.

Attachments

• 180513-ravensmall2.jpg
    180513-ravensmall2.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 23
Hello George, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Lovely photo, I look forward to seeing some of your photos in the gallery. Just so you know, we do not allow photos of nests on the forum. Some folks get way to close to the nests. I am looking forward to your other photos.

Hi there and a warm welcome to BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

We'll be happy to see any birds you come across when out and about though ;)

I hear you Lisa, good call. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. That photo is cropped from a 6000 pixel wide image taken at 400mm, and no one but me knows where the nest is. No more nests!

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi George and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about and will hopefully see some of your pictures in the Gallery too.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Thanks for the greetings folks, and thanks for that link Delia. This place is huge, going to take me a while to explore everywhere. My main focus for registering was bird ID, as I'm a beginner.

As you've all taken the time out of your lives to say hello, here's something that's special to me. A couple of weeks ago I managed this photo of a raven.

Attachments

• 180513-ravensmall.jpg
    180513-ravensmall.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 21
That's a wonderful picture George. Very atmospheric too.

It looks like there was a storm brewing!!!

No storm, it was a beautiful day, I just had to crank the exposure right down to get the sky properly exposed, which blocked up the shadows and made it atmospheric. It was either that or a blown out sky all white.

Ach, had to start that image of the raven from scratch again. I hadn't noticed the vignette had broken the shadows. Some photos only need a minute or two, some need a bit longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back