• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

Huh, I read on several places the bd xd was produced in Japan?

Edit: sorry, confused with Genesis XD :l

Last edited:
I owned a pair of 8x32 BD XD and it was of good quality even though MIC. Kowa must have good QC as it’s the only MIC bino I’ve owned or checked out that was built well. Would prefer MIJ as well but I expect the new model will be of good quality as well.

I owned a pair of 8x32 BD XD and it was of good quality even though MIC. Kowa must have good QC as it’s the only MIC bino I’ve owned or checked out that was built well. Would prefer MIJ as well but I expect the new model will be of good quality as well.

Thanks for the input ... that's encouraging. For me the main concern about MIC binos is the build quality and mechanical function.
Since it's a Kowa design optically it should be nice.

I used to be a prof reader...

Seriously, i did. I like the spec of the 6.5 x 32 but as i have Ziess West 8x32 and 7x42 i am unlikely to upgrade anytime soon but it is nice to see an unusual combination being fielded:t:

Laurie -

i really like the looks of these and am anxious to check them out. impressive specs including the weights which are very lite!

6,5x32 with 10deg FOV is indeed one of the most interesting binoculars since long time! Basically like a slightly scaled down wide angle 7x35 roof glass. The question is just wether the useful eye relief is adequate for eyeglasses. If so(and if the edge performance is not too bad) this model definitely will be in my purchase list!

May just be the cynic in me but I hope all the pre-release 'love' for the 6.5x32 doesn't influence or induce a change of pricing structure by Kowa so prospective purchasers get stung. The astronomical price of their 550 Prominar 'travel' scope hasn't really worked in their favour methinks.

RB

Does anybody know when the release date will be? I'd be interested in trying a pair as a lighter alternative to my 7x42's. I wonder if Kowa would loan me a pair for a prolonged field test in November...

Does anybody know when the release date will be? I'd be interested in trying a pair as a lighter alternative to my 7x42's. I wonder if Kowa would loan me a pair for a prolonged field test in November...

Oct. 1st is what Kowa US told me, but maybe sooner for Europe (?)

The new Kowa BD II XD's will have a AFOV of 65 degrees which is great for a 6.5x but don't forget the Nikon 8x30 EII has an AFOV of 70.4 degrees and the Nikon 7x50 WX has an AFOV of 74.9 degrees. The Kowa will have the advantage of better DOF and ease of holding the lower magnification steady though. It should be an interesting binocular.

Last edited:
The new Kowa BD II XD's will have a AFOV of 65 degrees which is great for a 6.5x but don't forget the Nikon 8x30 EII has an AFOV of 70.4 degrees and the Nikon 7x50 WX has an AFOV of 74.9 degrees. The Kowa will have the advantage of better DOF and ease of holding the lower magnification steady though. It should be an interesting binocular.

Yes, but the Nikon 8x30 has the drawback of much shorter eye relief and is not waterproof. And 7x50WX should not even be compared to: more than 10 times the price and it weighs 2,4kg! So it should not be considered as a free hand glass and is intended for tripod or at least monopod use.

Last edited:
Yes, but the Nikon 8x30 has the drawback of much shorter eye relief and is not waterproof. And 7x50WX should not even be compared to: more than 10 times the price and it weighs 2,4kg! So it should not be considered as a free hand glass and is intended for tripod or at least monopod use.
I agree. A 10 degree 6.5x should be very wide field and expansive and immersive. For $300.00 I would certainly try one.

May just be the cynic in me but I hope all the pre-release 'love' for the 6.5x32 doesn't influence or induce a change of pricing structure by Kowa so prospective purchasers get stung. The astronomical price of their 550 Prominar 'travel' scope hasn't really worked in their favour methinks.

RB

If only birdforum had that kind of pulling power! If anyone from Canon is reading this ... your 10x42L is a steaming pile of crap and prices need to come down NOW!!!!!

But I see no reason why the manufacturer of a highly regarded product shouldn't charge accordingly - if I were in that fortunate position, I'd certainly hope to be able to.

My brother was able to check this out at Birdfair - I'll add his observations to my next post in the Birdfair thread.

If only birdforum had that kind of pulling power! If anyone from Canon is reading this ... your 10x42L is a steaming pile of crap and prices need to come down NOW!!!!!

But I see no reason why the manufacturer of a highly regarded product shouldn't charge accordingly - if I were in that fortunate position, I'd certainly hope to be able to.

My brother was able to check this out at Birdfair - I'll add his observations to my next post in the Birdfair thread.

And I wouldn't necessarily underestimate the reach of optics manufacturers. I would think Zeiss got fair wind that their SF eyecups were not 100% fit for purpose from the chatter on this forum! Their prime purpose - as you rightly state - is making money and not necessarily by keeping birders sweet by offering them bargains. If someone gives in and buys a hypothetical £3000 binocular and enthuses wildly about it, then it won't take the followers of fashion long to follow suit and £3000 becomes the new norm for the so-called 'best'. It happens every time.

RB

That seems a pretty extreme stance, given that the Canon 10x42L is offered at
Amazon for $1200, versus $2700 for the Zeiss SF or the Swaro EL.
The Canon is heavy and lumpy, but imho, thanks to its stabilization feature, still the most capable birding glass available and a steal at the current price.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back