• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

These are superb watercolours, the flycatcher is ACE! Seriously good, I also love the divers, but as you mentioned perhaps darkening the water, I agree that that would work even better, the water is however already brilliant, clean and liquid. I wish I wasn't so tired and drunk, I have some painting to do!

These are superb watercolours, the flycatcher is ACE! Seriously good, I also love the divers, but as you mentioned perhaps darkening the water, I agree that that would work even better, the water is however already brilliant, clean and liquid. I wish I wasn't so tired and drunk, I have some painting to do!
Agree - I'd not do too much with the divers - a bit of a tweak and it's there (looks great as it is, mind!).
Ah, Nick - tired AND drunk! - well we all look forward to a masterpiece in a couple of hours, then!

Agree - I'd not do too much with the divers - a bit of a tweak and it's there (looks great as it is, mind!).
Ah, Nick - tired AND drunk! - well we all look forward to a masterpiece in a couple of hours, then!

No painting tonight, bed is the plan, it's amazing how a broken down freezer full of meat b*ggers up your plans, just had everybody round to eat as much as possible before it spoils, which I have to clean up tomorrow morning before a replacement freezer arrives, all before 10:00am. Maybe I'll get on with the black storks tomorrow afternoon before the rugby starts, don't usually care for sport myself, but any excuse to cause a scene amongst the French!

. . . . before the rugby starts, don't usually care for sport myself, but any excuse to cause a scene amongst the French!
Ooooh! - don't go making any rash bets, now!
As an Englishman (well, Yorkshireman, anyway - if that counts) in Scotland, my local will be full of heaving Orcs/Scots screaming 'Sacre Bleu' at each and every opportunity. Hmmm - I think I'll watch it in the pub with my Barnsley FC shirt on!

Wheatear Watercolour

Got around to painting up the Wheatear this afternoon, the chap with the injured foot from Landsort. Hopefully well on his way to Africa at the moment!

Rather enjoying playing around with watercolours, like the relative speed of the medium, even if it is a little unforgiving at times.

Full painting and small detail of bird here...

Attachments

• Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Wheatear Detail.jpg
    Wheatear Detail.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 74
Not entirely sure whether I should consider this finished. Thinking of going back in and adding some moe definition to the rock by way of adding some darks, feel it may be a bit too soft as it is. Will leave it alone for now and think over it, have messed up too many painting by jumping back in too soon....

Will leave it alone for now and think over it, have messed up too many painting by jumping back in too soon....

Words of wisdom, DON'T TOUCH. Your use of watercolour is very fresh and clean, the last thing we want is tampering. Beautiful little painting indeed.

Words of wisdom, DON'T TOUCH. Your use of watercolour is very fresh and clean, the last thing we want is tampering. Beautiful little painting indeed.

Okay so Nick! Have indeed left it be.;)

MY flu seems to be on its way out thankfully. Probabaly shouldn't but can't help wrapping up and getting out there for the day. No way I can stay inside on a day off work in October.
Snow Buntings, Twite, Waxwings, Pine Grosbeaks, Parrot Crossbills and even Pygmy Owls amongst others seem to be moving here at the minute in some numbers. Too much to resist, will see what I can pick up!

Okay so Nick! Have indeed left it be.;)

MY flu seems to be on its way out thankfully. Probabaly shouldn't but can't help wrapping up and getting out there for the day. No way I can stay inside on a day off work in October.
Snow Buntings, Twite, Waxwings, Pine Grosbeaks, Parrot Crossbills and even Pygmy Owls amongst others seem to be moving here at the minute in some numbers. Too much to resist, will see what I can pick up!

That sounds like some good birding to be had (is it still snowing in Sweden?) If the weather's nice tomorrow I may try my visible migration hotspot - the one that I saw nothing from ever but the only one that could perhaps yield something. Cranes have started moving through (though they rarely get this east due to the altitude) so I'm hoping hoping hoping.

That sounds like some good birding to be had (is it still snowing in Sweden?) If the weather's nice tomorrow I may try my visible migration hotspot - the one that I saw nothing from ever but the only one that could perhaps yield something. Cranes have started moving through (though they rarely get this east due to the altitude) so I'm hoping hoping hoping.

No snow in south yet. Big movements of crane and rough legged buzzard here over the last ten days, along with Geese, some rarer Raptors, Bramblings etc.
Well worth a go tommorow I'd say....

Good luck to the both of you - we've got a nice helping of hail and gale today - hmmm, yummy.
And you've cracked it once again Alan - this little wheatear study is perfect. He has that adamant look on his face - dodgy leg or no - I'm off to Africa!

Some sketches from today, all from Sandemar. Grey plover here, a scarce bird around Stockholm.

Attachments

• gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 86
  • gp3.jpg
    gp3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 76
  • grey plover1.jpg
    grey plover1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
A lot of Yellowhammers today, about 250 feeding in the stubble fields. Was torn between drawing them and moving on to look for a "better" bird or two. Made these sketches very quickly as the scene really appealed to me. Not the tidiest in the world but somehow have an odd appeal of their own.

forgive the photo quality, dark evening light here makes it difficult at times...
(especially when you gotta get to the supermarket within 25mins!)

Attachments

• y1.jpg
    y1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 78
  • y2.jpg
    y2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 85
  • y3.jpg
    y3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 85
  • y4.jpg
    y4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 86
You've really hit the net with these Alan - consistently brilliant drawings. The yellowhammers are splendid - get them into a colour comp really quickly - your watercolour work is on top form too - knock one out!

I can't get enough of these sketches!!

I love seeing how the different shades and plumage details have been approached, it amazes me how so much form and character can come through with the simplest of lines and minimal clutter!!

Matt

You've really hit the net with these Alan - consistently brilliant drawings. The yellowhammers are splendid - get them into a colour comp really quickly - your watercolour work is on top form too - knock one out!

Will get to it! Bit busy this evening and want to get to bed early so as to get out again tomorrow...
Will be more sketches by then! It all keeps building up! Will have plenty to work on this winter...

Wondrful, Wonderful .......Wonderful work!

Love the Hammer's

Seeing large flocks of these too, and our first Redwings are starting to appear.
its fantastic time of year!
Got to get out with the scope soon.

Excellent! Big fan of your work! I have tried shading with lines in the past but it just doesn't seem to work for me...any advice? Sorry to take away from your thread...very nice work!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back