• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D MK11 Power Supply (1 Viewer)

Ian Hardy

Has anyone used AA Batteries with the above camera, if so can you let me know how long they lasted. I put six new batteries in my camera yesterday and after about an hour they had expired.

Thanks

Ian

I would suggest using AA batteries as a last resort...

The 7DII is a power hog; perhaps the most power-demanding Canon camera I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few over the years. I use the 7DII with the Canon battery grip, and carry 2 full sets of spare batteries with me when I go out and shoot. That said, I've had better performance with non-Canon branded batteries than the OEM ones, but typically get less than 1000 shots on a set of 2.

What I think is daft is that you only get one charger, if like the 1D series you got a double charger ( it still only comes with one battery though) you could at least charge up both at the same time. 1000 shots should more than suffice for a day of very heavy shooting.

Alkaline AAs (like Duracells) are particularly poor in digital cameras.
NiMh rechargeable AAs are better, as are lithium disposables, but the lithiums are expensive (like £1.75 each), and the NiMh rechargeables are heavy compared with the proper battery, require another charger, and still won't last nearly as long. I'd expect more than an hour though.
(based on an A590 point&shoot)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back