• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

No sign of Spotted Crake yesterday evening or this morning but Wood Sand still and Ringed Plover as per Andy P.

Dave J further reports from the Flashes:

2 Avocet, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, adult Great Black-backed Gull flew south with LBB Gulls, 4 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, Egyptian Goose, Redstart, 2 Swift, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
Survey Monday 21st August and possibly Friday 25th

Just a reminder that the invertebrate survey will take place tomorrow. The survey is due to start at 8.30. I hope the waders will move to Amy's Marsh . The wood sand will probably move around the Flashes after the initial disturbance - hopefully as the Bairds sand did last year.
So if birding in the morning get there early and if anyone does .. could you note what the waders response is.:t:john

Work party today

We are planning to do a few jobs this Tuesday. None of which will impact on the main birding areas.
1. Clearing the area at the North Moors where the new hide will be erected.
2. Cleaning out the Avocet hide at Flashes
3. Strimming the 'usual channel through the reeds in front of the Hen Pool.
All welcome meet at Moors 9am
:t: john

Survey Monday 21st August and possibly Friday 25th

Just a reminder that the invertebrate survey will take place tomorrow. The survey is due to start at 8.30. I hope the waders will move to Amy's Marsh . The wood sand will probably .ove around the Flashes after the initial disturbance - hopefully as the Bairds sand did last year.
So if birding in the morning get there early and if anyone does .. could you note what the waders response is.:t:john

Just a reminder that the invertebrate survey will take place tomorrow. The survey is due to start at 8.30. I hope the waders will move to Amy's Marsh . The wood sand will probably .ove around the Flashes after the initial disturbance - hopefully as the Bairds sand did last year.

Will be down as early as wide/ two kids / roadworks at the top of the M5 (delete as appropriate) permits.

After seemingly weeks of westerlies an interesting change in the weather over the next 48 hours - rain this evening and tonight as the wind moves round to the southeast. Overcast tomorrow with a continued SE then warmer and sunnier on Tuesday with still an easterly element to allow all those migrants to pop their heads out. Pied Fly, Spotted Fly, Whinchat, Tree Pipit and Black Tern (one today at Westwood) all a possibility.

We are planning to do a few jobs this Tuesday. None of which will impact on the main birding areas.
1. Clearing the area at the North Moors where the new hide will be erected.
2. Cleaning out the Avocet hide at Flashes
3. Strimming the 'usual channel through the reeds in front of the Hen Pool.
All welcome meet at Moors 9am
:t: john

Is there any info on when the new hide it to be erected? It will be very handy for my o/h.

Will be down as early as wide/ two kids / roadworks at the top of the M5 (delete as appropriate) permits.

After seemingly weeks of westerlies an interesting change in the weather over the next 48 hours - rain this evening and tonight as the wind moves round to the southeast. Overcast tomorrow with a continued SE then warmer and sunnier on Tuesday with still an easterly element to allow all those migrants to pop their heads out. Pied Fly, Spotted Fly, Whinchat, Tree Pipit and Black Tern (one today at Westwood) all a possibility.

Must comment (and commend) how clean the East Hide at the Moors Pool now is - let's keep it that way folks :t:

Wood Sand still at the Flashes at 7:45am; also 3 Green Sand and 2 Common Sand.

Arctic Tern on the Sailing Pool with 3 Common Tern

Management work now commenced at the Flashes- Wood Sand has flown.

3 Blackwits just dropped into the Moors Pool as per Phil W

Upton Warren is the joint most productive site in the West Midland Bird Club region for Spotted Crake with 7 sightings, an honour shared with Sandwell Valley, followed by Brandon Marsh (6 records) and Doxey Marsh (5 records); other regular sites include Ladywalk and Belvide Reservoir.

There are 10 records for Belvide pal:t:

Water rail?

Hi all

I think I saw my first water rail this evening - even got a few snaps! Can you confirm for me please.

Is it the juvenile?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 115
Another pic!

The bird was moving back and forth along the horseshoe shaped island to the left of the hide - Moors pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 77
Work party TUESDAY

We will be clearing the site of the new North Moors hide tomorrow
And also cleaning avocet hide and strimming in front of hen pool hide at FLASHES.

Excellent - thanks John.

I was excited to see it never mind get some pictures :)

Hope tomorrow goes well - I am off on hols which will include a visit to Ham Walls :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back