• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Autumn finally kicking in here although still a poor year, at least 10 species behind my normal count by the end of August!

100 Canada Goose
101 Green Sandpiper
102 Grey Heron
103 Golden Plover
104 Arctic Skua
105 Black-tailed Godwit
106 Ruff
107 Lapwing
108 Reed Warbler
109 Redstart
110 Whinchat
111 Sooty Shearwater
112 Egyptian Goose
113 Sedge Warbler

Impressive list even so Ryan!
A very productive garden and house maintenance visit today added FOUR species for the year:

77 Whinchat
78 Yellow Wagtail
79 Pied flycatcher
80 Nutcracker

At a weekend I watched about twenty Swifts circled on sky above garden, when I noticed one different bird:
#57. Barn Swallow - the first one at this summer... and propably last one too. :flyaway:

Hope you're not suffering in this heat Brenda, it's even up to 31 C here and we're at 1,000 m altitude! What sort of trees are the Greenfinches coming to ?
Here they seem to have left the neighborhood for now. A Spotted Flycatcher at our new home last week and Pied Flys for the last 4 days in a row are more signs of migration. Most unusual species (heard only) was calling Whimbrel the other night,I wish I's started a 2016 garden list here now instead of deciding to wait till the new year !

I am ok with heat and been very careful, difficult at night.
Trees - A big old oak tree and a tree with black berries look like olives but wrong leaves , these two trees are directly after my hedge to the right of the view. Right near these but in my garden an apple tree and a Lilas de inde (its not a lilac) The greenfinches are on these four trees . Also about 80 very mixed coloured juvenile starlings here since more than a month again like last year.
Nice today cooler will be 26c

Last edited:
Asking for name of tree has black berries several months of year . Cant see berries on it myself other than looking with my bins .The tree untidy and full of wild bits is just other side of my hedge . That part of the garden the hedge is kept higher its bit neglected corner of garden so many birds adore it.
Some positions and distances of photos I have difficulty to take due to its not a zoom one and me being in chair and lack of force in arms etc these days!august 2016 003.JPG

august 2016 015.JPG

august 2016 009.JPG

It still amazes me how shy the Blackbirds are here compared to England! Just had my first garden bird and that was a flyover for 36!

Chris

My first new one for ages: a

74 (Ithink) Yellow Wagtail

flew over calling this am. A real rarety around here, and just about annual.

Indeed.
And I've recently learnt that Little Egrets have reached a reservoir just half a dozen miles from here - so a fly past might just be possible one day.

At a weekend a lot of Insectivores my garden. Tits, Chaffinches, Robins, Willow Warblers, Lesser Whitethroats, couple of young Common Redstarts and:

#58. Chiffchaff - several. Yesterday I noticed Chiffchaff hopping along the ground and search for food. I don't remember I have seen this earlier. Ofcourse most of the time they were on trees and bushes.
Also I noticed that Blue and Great Tits pecking plums and apples. And they didn't just pick insects but really ate the fruit.

A fabulous 75th addition to the garden year list -

MERLIN

hunting hirundines overhead.

Fantastic!

Last edited:
A fabulous 7th addition to the garden year list -

MERLIN

hunting hirundines overhead.

Fantastic!

That's Doubly Fantastic H!....that's put me at 67 ''today'' with this little beauty...ahead by 60!!! :t:

Attachments

• P1360436.jpeg   Warbler no. 67.jpeg
    P1360436.jpeg Warbler no. 67.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 35
Odd! i'd edited that once already.

Patch has provided a Tree Pipit yesterday - hoprful of one overhead from the garden - but nowt.

Yesterday at last I saw a different bird in the garden.Not sure if its a Woodchat Shrike was perched on end of washing line hope he or she will do same today

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back