• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boa Vista Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

martin bevan

Hi I am going in September and staying at the Riu Palace and it,s very close to Rabil Lagoon and does anybody know if it,s any good for passage Migrant and I am planning on taking my scope and has anyone done any sea watching in this area .Last thing I am there in the middle of September and are the Red Billed Tropic birds still around or they summer visitor,. Any information would be great and trip reports same to be earlier in the year.

Rabil Lagoon must be good for migrants as it is such rich habitat compared to much of the island. It will be a magnet for wildfowl and waders, and passerines etc will find good feeding and cover in the surrounding bushes.

We had a female Bufflehead and a good selection of waders in a morning visit in January.

Seawatching will certainly be worth a go.

Good luck, and please report back.

Hi I am going in September and staying at the Riu Palace and it,s very close to Rabil Lagoon and does anybody know if it,s any good for passage Migrant and I am planning on taking my scope and has anyone done any sea watching in this area .Last thing I am there in the middle of September and are the Red Billed Tropic birds still around or they summer visitor,. Any information would be great and trip reports same to be earlier in the year.

If you join Uve Thom's Facebook group on Sal bird news and go backwards to previous Septembers this will give you a good idea as to what is possible in terms of migrants. Whilst Sal has had a lot more CV rares than Boavista recently I think that's due to resident birders. If you are happy to find birds that are scarce in context Boavista and Sal are the best CV islands as they are nearest to Africa and get more migrants.

I think seawatching will be hard going but still worth trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back