• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (4 Viewers)

The one picture shows some of the demountainization in the background.

I think the term "demountainization" is perfect for the activity going on in our area too - not a perfect activity at all, but a good term for it. I've always been so amazed at the scale of it and had not word to express what was going on. (Of course this is the same civilization that has carved out massive canals and lakes, so moving earth is not a big deal...)

Sorry about the Gos... it seems you must have had a nice view at least - looks quite handsome. Glad you're seeing more migrants!

Gretchen,

"Demountainization" is my 2011 contribution to the English language. It's origins can be found among not having adequate words to describe what is happening in this area. Feel free to use it but always remeber it is Dong Bei copyright 2011.

Dong Bei (part time linguist)

Geese are confirmed as Lesser Whitefronts! Thanks to Mike for pointing it out and Paul Holt for clarification. Very happy here in Jinshitan! Life bird for me and #287 on the Jinshitan list. They beat Greater Whitefronts on that specific list.

The sad news is that the 4 of them were circling and circling trying to find a place to land but each time they were unable to due to large machinery in the area. Finally they flew off headed north northwest. A truck had stopped beside me and was trying to tell me I wasn't allowed there when they came into view. The driver and the 2 passengers got a good lesson in the excitement that finding any kind of goose in Jinshitan brings. I think they thought I was trying to get away from them as I ran away yelling "big duck big duck" in Chinese. After they caught up to me again I pointed out the geese to which they calmy said "you can't be here". I believe I said "yes I understand" as I continued snapping photos. They finally just left me. The same truck with the same passengers drove right past me while I was on my belly in the wet sand photographing the Common Redshank in the last post. This time they didn't even stop or acknowledge my presence.

I also flushed a rabbit on one of the dikes that separate the ponds and it went running down the tire track section of the path right at two older Chinese lads complete with the Mao jackets and hats. The two men had to be in their 70s. Upon seeing a rabbit heading straight for them, they immediately sprung into action grabbing a stick and some stones each. I watched in my binos as these two old guys tried to find their prize in the scrub. I knew exactly where the rabbit went in and watched as they walked right past it. After they had passed the rabbit sprung back out into the tire track and bolted away. These two guys, without any kind of chance at catching it or even the ability to throw a stone as far as the rabbit was, gave chase. They ran for about 15 seconds and then gave up. Both of them looked well cared for and reasonably healthy. I think old habits die hard. We wonder why there are no mammals around......If you see a rabbit, kill it. Great entertainment out on a dike at the mercy of the Dalian winter wind.

It rained yesterday for the first time in nearly 3 months. I found myself walking around in it just for fun. Kind of like a person who sees snow for the first time I guess. Spring is around the corner.

Thanks for the confirmation Tom and congratulations on the lifer!

That Upland Buzzard looks really pale - are many of your birds like that?

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

Last year on March 5 I posted a pic of 3 very pale Uplands. Are they young birds that move first? Maybe an early March thing? This one was clearly Upland, not Common/Eastern. Pale are not the norm but I rarely get dark ones as well.

Geese are confirmed as Lesser Whitefronts! Thanks to Mike for pointing it out and Paul Holt for clarification. Very happy here in Jinshitan! Life bird for me and #287 on the Jinshitan list. They beat Greater Whitefronts on that specific list.

The sad news is that the 4 of them were circling and circling trying to find a place to land but each time they were unable to due to large machinery in the area. Finally they flew off headed north northwest. A truck had stopped beside me and was trying to tell me I wasn't allowed there when they came into view. The driver and the 2 passengers got a good lesson in the excitement that finding any kind of goose in Jinshitan brings. I think they thought I was trying to get away from them as I ran away yelling "big duck big duck" in Chinese. After they caught up to me again I pointed out the geese to which they calmy said "you can't be here". I believe I said "yes I understand" as I continued snapping photos. They finally just left me. The same truck with the same passengers drove right past me while I was on my belly in the wet sand photographing the Common Redshank in the last post. This time they didn't even stop or acknowledge my presence.

I also flushed a rabbit on one of the dikes that separate the ponds and it went running down the tire track section of the path right at two older Chinese lads complete with the Mao jackets and hats. The two men had to be in their 70s. Upon seeing a rabbit heading straight for them, they immediately sprung into action grabbing a stick and some stones each. I watched in my binos as these two old guys tried to find their prize in the scrub. I knew exactly where the rabbit went in and watched as they walked right past it. After they had passed the rabbit sprung back out into the tire track and bolted away. These two guys, without any kind of chance at catching it or even the ability to throw a stone as far as the rabbit was, gave chase. They ran for about 15 seconds and then gave up. Both of them looked well cared for and reasonably healthy. I think old habits die hard. We wonder why there are no mammals around......If you see a rabbit, kill it. Great entertainment out on a dike at the mercy of the Dalian winter wind.

It rained yesterday for the first time in nearly 3 months. I found myself walking around in it just for fun. Kind of like a person who sees snow for the first time I guess. Spring is around the corner.

Congratulations, Tom!! As you know, I wasn't sure about the geese.. they do look stubby billed and with high-peaked foreheads but, without seeing the eye-ring, I wasn't confident enough to call them.. Brilliant that you see Lesser White-fronted Goose before Greater! That's birding! :)
Your story about the guys trying to eject you while you watched the geese made me chuckle..

Jinshitan Sea-farming Ponds March 20, 2012

Very little in quantity but some new quality. The constant contruction has me spending the first 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get in! Every time there are literally new trails and different ponds are filled in. When I only have one hour, it's frustrating wasting time navigating a way to the ponds. Migrants trickling in. In Jinshitan I rarely see huge numbers but there is usually a few of everything. Today is a good example of that. There are areas with large flocks but they are not reachable after work for me.

Common Pheasant
Ruddy Shelduck - 2
Common Shelduck - over 500
Falcated Duck - 1 female
Eurasian Wigeon - 7
Mallard
Baikal Teal - 2
Common Goldeneye - 2 (low tide)
Common Merganser - 8
Red-breasted Merganser - 16
Grey Heron - 1
Eurasian Kestrel - 1
Grey Plover - 1
Bar-tailed Godwit - 1
Far Eastern Curlew - 2
Common Redshank - 2
Black-tailed Gull - 250
Common Gull - 50
Mongolian Gull - 20
Vega Gull - 1
Black-headed Gull - 1
Hoopoe - 1
Eurasian Skylark - 4
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 1

Attachments

• Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Common Redshank.jpg
    Common Redshank.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Far Eastern Curlew.jpg
    Far Eastern Curlew.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Grey Plover.jpg
    Grey Plover.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Pallas's reed Bunting.jpg
    Pallas's reed Bunting.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 46
March 24, 2012 Sea-farming Ponds

Common Pheasant
Bean Goose - 1 (not sure the ssp, too far away)
Common Shelduck - 200
Gadwall - 25
Falcated Duck - 25
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck - 10
Northern Shoveler - 2
Eurasian Teal - 50
Common Goldeneye - 1
Smew - 1 female
Red-breasted Merganser - 10
Common Merganser - 2
Grey Heron - 2
Purple Heron - 1 (FOS - early record)
Eurasian Kestrel - 5
Northern Goshawk - 1
Common Coot - 1 (FOS)
Kentish Plover - 8 (FOS)
Bar-tailed Godwit - 2
Eastern Curlew - 1
Common Redshank - 6
Dunlin - 4
Black-tailed Gull - several hundred
Black-headed Gull - 2
Mongolian Gull - 80
Common Gull - 50
Eurasian Skylark - 1
Vinous-throated Parrotbill - one group
White Wagtail - 6 (FOS)
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 4

Attachments

• Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Bean Goose.jpg
    Bean Goose.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 31
There are Hazel Grouse in Jinshitan. I have heard from two reliable sources both mentioning the same side to one mountain. Both people know enough to cancel out female pheasant, young pheasants, etc.. Both have given very accurate descriptions including in flight. I investigated a few times during January and February and couldn't find anything but I'm sure they're there. I've known for a while but want to record it here on this thread.

"some good stuff on this blog at the moment"

Mouthwatering stuff, I don't think you could have a better cast than those on that first page!

Jinshitan Sea Farming Ponds March 28, 2012

Temperature has hit 10 degrees here the last two days. I went out today after work without gloves on the motorbike and paid dearly on the way home. Got caught up with it and forgot that it was still March.

Between dump trucks, some new things arriving into the area. I covered the tidal channel area, not the ponds where the ducks are.

Common Pheasant
Common Shelduck - 50
Mallard
Common Goldeneye - 15
Red-breasted Merganser - 10
Grey Heron - 1
Eurasian Kestrel - 1
Eurasian Oystercatcher - 2 FOS
Northern Lapwing - 17 FOS
Little-ringed Plover - 3 FOS
Kentish Plover - over 100
Bar-tailed Godwit - 11
Common Redshank - 1
Great Knot - 1 FOS
Dunlin - 15
Common Gull - 70
Vega Gull - 1 ssp barulai (yellow-legged Vega)
Mongolian Gull - 100
Black-headed Gull - 4
Hill Pigeon - 2
White Wagtail - 10
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 10

Attachments

• Common Redshank.jpg
    Common Redshank.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Great Knot.jpg
    Great Knot.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Northern Lapwing.jpg
    Northern Lapwing.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Oystercatcher.jpg
    Oystercatcher.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 32
Jinshitan March 29, 2012

Had to get gas today after work and ended up taking the long way home. The gates of the Country Club were open for the first time this year so I had to have a look in. I was told they were closing the gates soon after so only had about 30 minutes. The list today comes primarily from there as well as one of the ocean bays in Jinshitan where many ducks winter.

The one shrike picture below shows the Chinese National Bird -- the Common Construction Crane in the background and I couldn't resist. It's a much more common resident now than when I first arrived in Jinshitan in 2004.

Common Pheasant
Gadwall - 1
Falcated Duck - 20
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck - 2
Eurasian Teal - 8 on the ocean!
Eurasian Kestrel - 1
Black-tailed Gull - 75
Oriental Turtle Dove - 4 absolutely gorgeous ones
Hoopoe - 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker - 1
Chinese Grey Shrike - 1
Great Tit - 4
Chinese Bulbul - 2
Dusky Thrush - 15
Dusky x Naumann's - at least 25 (huge Thrush group in the Country Club)
Daurian Redstart - 1
White Wagtail - 7
Brambling - 3
Greenfinch - 1
Little Bunting - 1
Yellow-throated Bunting - 10
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 30
Common Reed Bunting - 4

Attachments

• Chinese Grey Shrike.jpg
    Chinese Grey Shrike.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Common Construction Crane.jpg
    Common Construction Crane.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Common Reed Bunting.jpg
    Common Reed Bunting.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
Wow - where did all those thrushes come from? Have they been hanging out there, and you couldn't get in to see them, or are they gathering to travel north together?

(By the way, I don't think I said thanks for posting the accentor recording!)

Nice to hear of the shorebird diversity and great pic of the Northern Lapwing in the sunshine. Good shorebird diversity for early in the season! Over here we only have Western Sandpipers, Dunlin, Sanderlings, Black Turnstones, Black Oystercatchers, and B-bellied Plovers around. It will be a few weeks before the big push and diversity arrives.

Thanks for posting the updates.

Jinshitan Sea-farming Ponds March 30, 2012

Common Shelduck - 4
Gadwall - 12
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck - 20
Eurasian Teal - 6
Tufted Duck - 1
Common Goldeneye - 3
Smew - 1
Little Grebe - 1
Grey Heron - 2
Common Coot - 5
Little-ringed Plover - 4
Kentish Plover - 13
Black-tailed Gull - 150
Common Gull - 10
Hill Pigeon - 5
Barn Swallow - 13 (FOS)
White Wagtail - 15 all leucopsis
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 5

Attachments

• Barn Swallow.jpg
    Barn Swallow.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Kentish Plovers.jpg
    Kentish Plovers.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Little-ringed Plover.jpg
    Little-ringed Plover.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Tufted and Smew.jpg
    Tufted and Smew.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 41
Love the photo of the Kentish- they look positively round! Chilly wind (we have one here!) or maybe just well fed for travels?

I haven't seen a swallow yet - must keep my eyes open!

Last edited:
North of Jinshitan March 31, 2012

Took a short trip north a bit which included the sea-farming ponds on the way and way back. I made it as far as just north of Dali jia. Stayed for a long time along a canal that goes through some rice areas. Strong and cold wind. Snow in the forecast for tomorrow - really hoping that's not accurate.

Common Pheasant
Common Shelduck - 4
Ruddy Shelduck - 28
Gadwall - 20
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck - 15
Eurasian Teal - 10
Tufted Duck - 1
Smew - 1
Grey Heron - 3
Eurasian Kestrel - 3
Peregrine Falcon - 1 (zoomed up behind and past me while I was traveling around 60 km/h! and then screamed over a mudflat)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk - 1
Upland Buzzard - 1
Common Coot - 3
Eurasian Oystercatcher - 1
Little-ringed Plover - 5
Kentish Plover - 50
Dunlin - 7
Common Gull - 15
Mongolian Gull - 30
Black-headed Gull - 20
Hoopoe - 1
Great-spotted Woodpecker - 1
Daurian Jackdaw - 3
Great Tit
Barn Swallow - 1
Vinous-throated Parrotbill - one group
Naumann's Thrush - 3
White Wagtail - at least 80 along one canal. All Leucopsis as far as I could tell.
Buff-bellied Pipit - 1 FOS
Pallas's Reed Bunting - a few

Attachments

• Daurian Jackdaw.jpg
    Daurian Jackdaw.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Ducks 1.jpg
    Ducks 1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Upland Buzzard.jpg
    Upland Buzzard.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 36
  • White Wagtail.jpg
    White Wagtail.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 29
Jinshitan Sea-farming Ponds April 3, 2012

Staying with the theme of shorebirds and gulls I covered only the channel and rapidly disappearing mudflat today (tide, not backfilling!). Highlight has to be the Black-eared Kite. I seem to see at least one each spring. Laotieshan is overrun with them in the fall.

Common Pheasant
Common Shelduck - approx 150
Mallard - 2
Common Goldeneye - 2
Red-breasted Merganser - 8
Grey Heron - 11
Black-eared Kite - 1 clearly migrating high in a southeast wind
Grey Plover - 7
Kentish Plover - 93
Great Knot - 1
Black-tailed Gull - over 350 (I tried counting once but gave up)
Common Gull - 30
Mongolian Gull - only 2
Black-headed Gull - only 3
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 2

Saw my first of the season Red-flanked Bluetail in my complex yesterday as well

Attachments

• Black-eared Kite.jpg
    Black-eared Kite.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Great Knot.jpg
    Great Knot.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
  • Grey Heron.jpg
    Grey Heron.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Grey Plover and Great Knot.jpg
    Grey Plover and Great Knot.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Channel.jpg
    Channel.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back