• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Dennis,

Thanks for the comparison. I always wondered about that Leupold. I've only seen one birder ever with a Leupold, I guess they only market to hunters. It's a shame they quit making that model, what were they thinking? There was a lot of discussion a few years back on the meaning of made in anyplace. As a rule, it means something like 50.00001%.

Oh, and by the way, what a disloyal scoundrel you are for buying yet another binocular (after what, about 4 years?). I figure somebody should say that. Seriously I wish you'd go back to your old flipping ways, which were entertaining, and useful.

Ron

Trouble is I am "Flipped Out". Which means I have tried about every available birding binocular there is except for the real rare ones that I haven't been able to acquire like the Leupold GR HD 8x32. I haven't tried the new Zeiss SF yet so there is a new binocular that I need to get my hands on. Hmmm. Zeiss could you give me a pre-production test model. I have a Swarovski 8x32 SV that I would be glad to write up a nice comparison on it.

Last edited:
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/

Meopta, a Czech manufacturer of optics, has a plant in Hauppauge, Long Island, New York where they employ many people. Cabelas sells binoculars under its own brand name which are made by Meopta. They look like Meoptas and have similar prices. Does anyone know if they are either manufactured and/or assembled in the USA or in the Czech Republic?

And would it make any difference to you? Or do you really care one way or the other?

And that brings up another question: Would you rather have a binocular "manufactured" or "assembled" in the USA sourced from a Czech binocular manufacturer or one from a Japanese manufacturer?

Decisions, Decisions!

Bob

Hi Ceasar: Meopro and Meopro HD binoculars are labeled as "Assembled in the USA". From a QC standpoint, I'm comfortable with either American or Czech assembly as long as the after-purchase support is good. Of course, American assembly implies jobs for American workers which for me is a good reason to consider any such product, even if I have to pay a small premium.

Hi Gwen: It's always good to hear from somebody whose work experience is relevant to the discussion. Regarding the distinction between "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA", is it possible that there's been a change in the law since you worked in that field? To me it seems strange that Meopta would label its products as "Assembled in USA" if the products actually qualified to be labeled as "Made in USA", since the "Made in USA" label would likely be a stronger marketing term.

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCN1788.JPG
    DSCN1788.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 195
Hi Annabeth:

Leupold & Stevens has been in business over 100 years, and there's no doubt they have experienced machinists; you can't MANUFACTURE rifle scopes without the workers and equipment. I'm just saying that I don't believe everything the armchair speculators place before me; experience on the line of fire has taught me not to. At this moment I'm working on a manifesto on this topic, which will be posted by tomorrow at the latest.|:$|

Bill

PS Jerry: If you would like my article on scopes from Deer & Deer Hunting, just let my know.
It is weird but the Leupold GR 8x32 HD looks American made or at least American designed. The design and build of it is different than many of the binoculars I have tried.

Hi Ceasar: Meopro and Meopro HD binoculars are labeled as "Assembled in the USA". From a QC standpoint, I'm comfortable with either American or Czech assembly as long as the after-purchase support is good. Of course, American assembly implies jobs for American workers which for me is a good reason to consider any such product, even if I have to pay a small premium.

Hi Gwen: It's always good to hear from somebody whose work experience is relevant to the discussion. Regarding the distinction between "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA", is it possible that there's been a change in the law since you worked in that field? To me it seems strange that Meopta would label its products as "Assembled in USA" if the products actually qualified to be labeled as "Made in USA", since the "Made in USA" label would likely be a stronger marketing term.

Cheers!
Do you think there would be some people that would consider the idea of the optics being made in the USA inferior to say Japan because Japan has a reputation for high quality optics.

Globalization and outsourcing are not just an American phenomenon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

It's quite interesting what you can dig up on this.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/22919-kahles-832/ (requires registration) :

" ... on a factory visit to Swarovski I went for a wander around the back of the factory and noticed strewn around the rubbish bins lots of boxes with the name Hoya on. As you probably all know Hoya is a proprietary optical glass manufacturer. I did some digging to see what the Japanese glass went into. The answer was that they [Swaro] "assemble" rifle scopes for importers who want their own name on them ! ... "

Hi Annabeth:

Leupold & Stevens has been in business over 100 years, and there's no doubt they have experienced machinists; you can't MANUFACTURE rifle scopes without the workers and equipment. I'm just saying that I don't believe everything the armchair speculators place before me; experience on the line of fire has taught me not to. At this moment I'm working on a manifesto on this topic, which will be posted by tomorrow at the latest.|:$|

Bill

PS Jerry: If you would like my article on scopes from Deer & Deer Hunting, just let my know.

So I'm assuming you feel safe with 'made in the USA' for the GR riflescopes based on the above post.
But as for the discontinued GR binoculars you're suggesting those were only assembled (all foreign binocular parts) in the leupold plant ... is that correct?

I'm just trying to get this...I'm sure I'm the only one a bit confused here ... as usual.

So I'm assuming you feel safe with 'made in the USA' for the GR riflescopes based on the above post.
But as for the discontinued GR binoculars you're suggesting those were only assembled (all foreign binocular parts) in the leupold plant ... is that correct?

I'm just trying to get this...I'm sure I'm the only one a bit confused here ... as usual.

From a business viewpoint it would be hard to justify spending the millions required to produce no more units of binoculars than they were producing. If they were mfg binos in the USA they were losing a shoebox full of money on every unit they sold.

From the past I believe I have read from people who took plant tours they machine all the scope tubes here in the US and assemble with sourced glass(as most big names do).

Who grinds their own glass now?

Cheers!
The rules for designating "Made in USA" are generally .... the item has to have been substantially transformed in the US or the US manufacturing costs must comprise more than 75% of the total manufacturing.This is a loose definition but still applies to the best of my knowledge. "Assembled in the US" means that it doesn't meet the above definition so probably has more than 75% of non-US sourced components but simply put together in the US. Again, this is a very general definition and it is a very complex calculation that manufacturers have to do if they want to be able to defend their "Made in USA" designation. ...gwen

It is weird but the Leupold GR 8x32 HD looks American made or at least American designed. The design and build of it is different than many of the binoculars I have tried.

Dennis, are you saying that it is ugly as sin? Garish, tasteless, gawdy and LOUD ?! Lacking in style and class? Overweight, big and fat? Is it dripping in lashings of superfluous chrome and redundant tailfins? |8.| ........ ;)

Or is it built like a tank? Bigger than Texas?! Crying out for a *subtle*! Stars and Stripes paintjob and wheelie bars! :hippy:

America did some very nice stuff back in the 50's with futuristic concept cars that never got built, but by and large if you want style and class, you go to the Italians and Europeans (Hyundai's excellent Cally Design Studio, and the Marlboro Man's awesome Sheepskin Jacket notwithstanding! :) :-O

Don't tell me that it *Trumps* your SV as a thing of style and beauty ?! ..... or is it just the quasi - made in the good ol' US of A that compels you to stand and salute everytime you lay eyes on it, could swear you can hear the Star Spangled Banner being butchered by some tone-deaf college girl (though nowhere near as bad as Roseanne Barr ! :eek!:), and get all misty eyed, so that it just looks that way? :cat:

More importantly is it a keeper, or is this the famous pump and dump to make way for the rather nice looking Zeiss SF?

Relax, I'm just funnin' ya !! 3:)

And yes, we really do have kangaroos hopping down the 'Mayne' St. :t:

Chosun :gh:

Cheers!

Thanks for posting that picture of the Blind Cap on the hinge cover. I've never seen a Meopta binocular. I wonder if Cabela's in house version they sell under their own name also says that?

BTW, the blind cap on the front hinge of my classically German Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline says it is made in Portugal and my classically German Zeiss 8x20 Victory says it is made in Hungary on the bottom of an objective tube so it seems that binoculars with famous names can be made many places.

Bob

Last edited:
And yes, we really do have kangaroos hopping down the 'Mayne' St. :t:

That's so cool ! o:)

The GR bins do have sort of an American vibe to them. The 8x32 always appeared small on the site back in the day, but I've heard they are somewhat large for a 32mm and very heavy of course. I've always liked their appearance/design, but I'm sure I wouldn't like the weight.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the brown color. I like earth tones, so it's nice to see the rare brown colored bins every so often. Some people think they look like doodoo. :eek!:

Last edited:
That's so cool ! o:)

The GR bins do have sort of an American vibe to them. The 8x32 always appeared small on the site back in the day, but I've heard they are somewhat large for a 32mm and very heavy of course. I've always liked their appearance/design, but I'm sure I wouldn't like the weight.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the brown color. I like earth tones, so it's nice to see the rare brown colored bins every so often. Some people feel they look like doodoo. :eek!:

Yeah cool! :-O as long as they don't decide to commit suicide on the bonnet of your car (The famous Bathurst 1000 at Mt. Panorama the other weekend had to be stopped with safety car, after a 'roo hopped onto the circuit! definitely not what you want at 300 k's /hr !! :eek!:)
The big buck males (6ft+) also have the undesireable trait of wanting to kick the living sh*p out of anyone and everyone around spring mating time of year --- lock up your grandma's !!! :eek!::eek!:

I like the brown colour too! Also the "Switch Power's"

I also like the Brunton Icon's with their stylish copper trim - very earthy! :t:

From a business viewpoint it would be hard to justify spending the millions required to produce no more units of binoculars than they were producing. If they were mfg binos in the USA they were losing a shoebox full of money on every unit they sold.

From the past I believe I have read from people who took plant tours they machine all the scope tubes here in the US and assemble with sourced glass(as most big names do).

Who grinds their own glass now?
That's my point. Even the big names don't grind their own glass right.

It's quite interesting what you can dig up on this.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/22919-kahles-832/ (requires registration) :

" ... on a factory visit to Swarovski I went for a wander around the back of the factory and noticed strewn around the rubbish bins lots of boxes with the name Hoya on. As you probably all know Hoya is a proprietary optical glass manufacturer. I did some digging to see what the Japanese glass went into. The answer was that they [Swaro] "assemble" rifle scopes for importers who want their own name on them ! ... "
That is interesting. Especially about the Hoya glass in the dumpster. HaHa!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back