• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

filter ed82 A (1 Viewer)

EagleEyed and all
Followed your tip and bought the Heliopan filter from B&H.
It`s hard to tell if it is there or not(compared with an identical scope).I see no difference,so I guess it`s a good a glass as it gets for protection.Certainly feels safer.
I have yet to try it for digiscoping,but I guess it will be just fine as there is no glare added.
Thanks for your tip.
reg
Baltus

Baltus,

Let us know how it goes with the digiscoping. I took my scope on it's first beach trip in October and really enjoyed having the filter in place with all of the boat-birding and beach hiking we did.

EE

1 problem; i have a sigma filter uv dg filter on my nikon ed82, but when i was seawatching it became real dirty from the salt on the glass , my friend has no filter and his lens was also dirty but not so much as my filter, i clean it at home an it was ok, but how can i become more dirty than the front lens of my friends , is it because another coating ??

black lark,

I believe the filter is much more exposed to the weather than the objective as it is more on the front of the scope than the objective (which is a little bit more recessed). If you use the slide-out lens hood I would think that the filter would practically have as much protection as the objective without the filter?!

I have the Heliopan filter so can't speak for the Sigma, but it also may depend on how truly clean the filter is before you start seawatching. Or maybe you just picked up more salt spray/water than he did?

EE

Last edited:
Salt spray might just be the best reason to use a filter. I'd much rather clean the filter of salt crystals than the irreplaceable objective lens.

My guess is that you got more spray on the filter because it is much further forward and less protected by the lens hood than the objective lens.

Salt spray might just be the best reason to use a filter. I'd much rather clean the filter of salt crystals than the irreplaceable objective lens.

My guess is that you got more spray on the filter because it is much further forward and less protected by the lens hood than the objective lens.

yes thank you, i am verry happy that i had a filter in use, and a stay on cover also !!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back