• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding parlance (1 Viewer)

Shy-Talks ..... a common species that doesn't seem to be in any book I've looked in.

T0ny touched on the reasoning behind the name.

Birdman, Alan.

Very interesting about the sparrows. Although I have lived in Cornwall for many years I grew up in Featherstone West Yorkshire and we called them "spoggies"

By 'eck - accents eh!!

Darrell

Kevin,

Steve Madge told me a very funny tale last week about a holiday he and some friends had in Ireland one Christmas many years ago. On Boxing day he heard a knock at the door and answered it to find some very drunken Irishmen announcing that they were the "wren boys" Steve misheard them and thought they said "rent boys" - I'll leave you to think up your own ending to that!!!!

Darrell

Someone mentioned accents..... I still can't get over the people I've talked to on-line for years, suddenly turn out to have american accents when you eventually chat to them on the phone or meet them. I'd presumed everyone on the net had an Thames estuary accent like myself :t:

Spadgers down here! And I usually end up calling wobblers instead of Warblers.
Andy

I know this is going off at a tangent slightly, but speaking of accents...

I have a couple of Sikh friends, and I'm also partial to Indian Food and so frequent the local curry-serving establishments as often as possible.

Consequently, I KNOW that all Asian people speak with a Yorkshire Accent.

So imagine my surprise on visiting the Everest in Fort William, to hear the waiters etc. speaking Scottish!?!?!?!

OK.. now you can go back to bird names....

Here is one you twitchers may have heard....

First sighting of a new bird for you......"LIFER!!!!"
Second sighting.............."ah, Junkbird"

Of course we say it kiddingly.

dennis

Crikey, what a veritable can of worms I've opened up with this one! Many thanks for responses so far - some fascinating stuff indeed.
Hailing originally from the Mansfield area (Notts), it was definitely 'spuggies' for me.

Delved deep into the lumber room of my memory and have recalled one or two from my UK birding days:

"Masher" - Marsh harrier;
"Gypo" - Egyptian goose (not terribly PC);
"John Craven" - Raven;
"Tart's tick" - common (ish) bird that you haven't seen.

Haven't heard too many Aussie ones, but I'm sure they're out there being uttered somewhere.

Cheers,

So it is Spadgers in Sheffield and throught to Rotherham, where Diane is - I wonder where between Rotherham and Barnsley/Doncaster it changes to Spuggies? Mexborough, perhaps?

Another Americanism I've thought of, that's at least used in the midwest and south, is calling the Woodcock 'bogsucker'.

I've dusted off my old used copy of "The Dictionary of American Bird Names" by Ernest Choate, and have found, among other things:

ACCENTOR: Local name for the Ovenbird, for the penetrating two-syllable song in which the first syllable is accented: TEACH-er, TEACH-er, TEACH-er

BALDPATE: American Widgeon (the white forehead patch resembling baldness)

BASKETBIRD: Baltimore or Northern Oriole, whose nest resembles a basket hanging from a branch

BOGBUMPER: American Bittern, probably for its call

BURGOMASTER: Great Black-Backed Gull, for its large, dominating size

CHEWINK: Towhee, for its call

CUTWATER: Black Skimmer, for how its bill is cutting through water as it feeds

GOBBLER: Wild Turkey, for its call

HELL-DIVER: Grebes, particularly the Pied-Bill

LOG-COCK: Pileated Woodpecker

LORD GOD BIRD: Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, supposedly because its rare sighting and large size would cause people to exclaim, "Lord God, the Bird!"

MUD-HEN: A coot. And there's a baseball team in Toledo, Ohio that calls itself the Mudhens!! Klinger would wear their jerseys on M*A*S*H

RAIN-BIRD: American Cuckoos

REED BIRD: Bobolink, for where they congregate, especially in the Middle Atlantic states, before fall migration

SAWBILL: Mergansers (divers) for their serrated bills

SNAKE BIRD: Anhinga (for which I've also heard WATER TURKEY)

THUNDER PUMPER: American Bittern, for its call

TIMBER DOODLE: Still another for the Woodcock

WHISKY JAY: Common, local name for the Gray Jay

Andrew.

"Dip out must be a pure birding term as it is not in my dictionary of Idioms."

Have to disagree with you there mate as "dip out" or"dipped out" meaning to miss out on something, was quite a common expression down here at least as far back as the 70's.
Possibly an old hippy term. (Not that I would know about such things of course!) :girl:

Michael Frankis said:
Easy - you don't pronounce 'accentor' . . just stick with Dunnock!

Michael

Alpine Dunnock (nice bird!) seems to be pushing it a bit--though I agree that it's better than hedge accentor. Still don't know how to pronounce it!:bounce:

Hi Surreybirder, i thought someone would have told you how to pronounce accentor by now - this thread is enormous!
Phonetically, it would be spelled:
Ack Sent Or

Another very useful one ..

Pine Crossbill
Equals {Parrot + Scottish} Crossbill, since unless you've got a recording and sound analysis setup, you can't tell them apart

As opposed to Spruce Crossbill (= Common Crossbill). In both cases, the names derived from their favoured food trees.

Michael

I've heard that in the north east one name for a starling is stinker. In parts of Yorkshire it is a Shep.

Abbreviations
Mipit for Meadow Pipit(I'm afraid I use this one)
Pecky for Pectoral Sandpiper.

I like Bonxie for Great Skua.

When in doubt a Commic Tern.

It seems that 'Spadger' or 'Sparrer' or 'Spadgick' are used pretty well throughout England, whereas 'Spuggie' is mostly a northern term. In the south-east it can be 'Sparr'.
Probably all derived from variations on Old Norse 'sporr', Old German 'sparo', Middle English 'sparewe', or Old English 'sparwa'.

Alan Hill

Kevin

No wonder you RM's are lifelong friends - you speak an entirely different language to the rest of us!

Bristol Birder. Strange, I have never come across it before birding. Thanks for mentioning that.

You all can't read what I call Starlings! It's unprintable!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back