• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

filter ed82 A (1 Viewer)

Black Lark, I may have misinterpreted you question, but here goes.

The ED 82 objective lens does not have secondary protection in the form of a skylight (or any other type of filter lens) as standard.
The objective lens can be fitted with skylight and other filters using (I believe) an 87mm diameter screw in filter.

At the eyepiece end; once you remove an eyepiece there is no secondary glass (or other medium) to protect the internal components from the ingress of foreign matter, if I am mistaken then I am sure that kind birdforum members will advise.

Regards,

John

Hi, I just received my 82 today, the filter size on the leaflet manual that came with it says 86mm. I want to get the new Hoya Pro 1 Digital Protector filter for it as I believe that it would not affect the view at all, however they do not make one that large. If you put a very inexpensive 86mm filter on the ED82 it may affect the view, the filter is no place to cut costs I would think, some high quality 86mm filters are $130 US, whoa, they are not cheap! I paid only $789 for my ED82A body, I hate to have to put a $130 filter on the front of it.

There is no way to protect the inside with an inside filter (wish there was).

Mark

Last edited:
Hi, I just received my 82 today, the filter size on the leaflet manual that came with it says 86mm. I want to get the new Hoya Pro 1 Digital Protector filter for it as I believe that it would not affect the view at all, however they do not make one that large. If you put a very inexpensive 86mm filter on the ED82 it may affect the view, the filter is no place to cut costs I would think, some high quality 86mm filters are $130 US, whoa, they are not cheap! I paid only $789 for my ED82A body, I hate to have to put a $130 filter on the front of it.

There is no way to protect the inside with an inside filter (wish there was).

Mark
Mark,

Re: ED82
Forget the front-end filter. You do not need it.

When the eyepiece is removed there is protective glass between you and the ED82's innards. I've cleaned mine twice (a lot of eyepiece switching) and it was not a problem, though it required a bit of creativity.

NEVER clean any lens dry. Almost every scratch you will see is the result of rubbing a lens while it was dry, or almost dry. I have cleaned my AR coated eyeglass lenses multiple times a day for two years and there are no scratches on them as a result of my technique. The ED82 objective stays surprisingly clean and it does not need regular cleaning.

I'm very sensitive to visual interference from water, smudges etc. and I clean my bins fairly often. The only scratch I ever put on a lens came from a lens pen, which I tossed immediately. I use a soft camelhair brush, lenscrafters cleaning fluid and lenscrafters lens towels (cut into small pieces). Everyone needs to develop a technique but the secrets are: NEVER rub, NEVER clean a dry lens, and don't reuse dirty cleaning towels.

Enjoy your ED82.

John

I have an ED82, and I use an 85mm screw-in Hama UV filter. It cuts glare and reduces colour loss in backlit environments, and makes it a lot easier on the eye to look through for long periods. Plus, instead of having to clean dust, water stains, salt spray, blown sand, or anything else off my objective, I just unscrew the filter and clean that. Far easier prospect. Yes, it cost the equivalent of about $110, but that's far less than an objective, and its worth it for peace of mind alone.
Having contradicted his first statement, I have to add that what John said about being careful cleaning your optics is very good advice.

hi john , a question for you, do you use a stay on cover on the ed82 ?? or i that not necessary , hev you used you scope also in rain without problems ??

hi john , a question for you, do you use a stay on cover on the ed82 ?? or i that not necessary , hev you used you scope also in rain without problems ??
I keep the cover on all the time. I attached an unused Nikon SE strap and carry it over my shoulder. Works great.

Rain has never been a problem, though I do remove the cover at home if it gets soaked.

John

Filter choices

Although I really do agree with John, and wish I had those optical equipment genes, unfortunately I am really a protect the objective kind of guy. Cleaning objectives, although I know how to do it correctly, is just not what I want to do. I would much rather clean a filter and keep the objective untouched forever, if a filter is not a problem optically. I really didn't want to spend the money, but for each scope I did the following (from B&H Photo):

82ED - Heliopan UV SH-PMC Multicoated ES 86 Slim Version (86mm)
50ED - Hoya PRO1 Digital Filter - Protector (55mm)

If I notice any problem, or image degradation, they are going back. I learned about Heliopan (much more expensive) after buying the Hoya, I firmly believe that the Heliopan SH-PMC is the best scope filter going, the best glass and the best multicoating (and the probably the biggest price, but you get what you pay for usually).

Now on to the testing.

Mark

Last edited:
All,

On the 82ED: The Heliopan UV SH-PMC Multicoated ES 86 Slim Version (86mm) is one amazing filter!!! Can't recommend it highly enough, as far as filters go, firmly believe that it's the best filter for any Fieldscope! Just like it's not there at all!

Mark

All,

On the 82ED: The Heliopan UV SH-PMC Multicoated ES 86 Slim Version (86mm) is one amazing filter!!! Can't recommend it highly enough, as far as filters go, firmly believe that it's the best filter for any Fieldscope! Just like it's not there at all!

Mark

i have the sigma multicoated Uv filter 86 mm , its also a great filter

Actually I was looking for the Sigma filter as well but couldn't find it anywhere, and so got the Heliopan. I will say that if the Sigma had been available I would've bought it as it was only about $90 compared to the Heliopan. After the money is spent, and a little time goes by, it doesn't feel too bad. Seems like the only quality options were the Sigma, the Heliopan, maybe a B+W, or a Hoya PRO1 Digital Filter - Protector (which is not available in the 86mm size). Seems like you can't be sure of getting a good multi-coated B+W, so it was down to the Sigma and the Heliopan, and I couldn't find the Sigma.

Heliopan

Eagle Eyed
Interesting stuff.I have been looking for a good filter for my ED82.
At B&H I get two options when searcing for Heliopan UV SH-PMC Multicoated ES 86 .One says UV haze and the other says polarized slim.
I`m a bit confused as the UV one does not mention "slim"
Can you help me out on this one?

reg.
Baltus

Absolutely Baltus, that's what fellow ED82 owners are for! B&H SKU# HEUVSMC86 is what I have, it didn't say slim and I didn't expect it to be a slim version but it's fine. A Polarized filter is not a UV filter, you do not want that one, that will drastically change, and destroy, the view. If you get the SKU# I did, you WILL NOT be sorry about it at all except for the expense (that wears off quickly once you are enjoying the scope though, and then you really enjoy that you have what I feel sure is the best filter you can get for the ED82). I was watching a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk across the highway yesterday evening in the setting sun, with my ED82A, with the above Heliopan filter, and the 30x Wide eyepiece, and I was absolutely stunned by the literally breathtaking clarity, color, and razor-sharpness of the image, it blew me quite away!

Mark

EagleEyed
Exellent.I will order one right away.No more worries of windy days on sandy beaches! Guess it is like rust-protecting your car before it actually starts rusting.
Thanks for your quick reply.

reg.
Baltus

Seems like you can't be sure of getting a good multi-coated B+W, so it was down to the Sigma and the Heliopan, and I couldn't find the Sigma.[/QUOTE]

Interesting comment about getting a good B+W multi coated filter. i've had bad luck with two of them now. I just returned the 86mm B+W mrc uv10 because it had what looked like fine particles stuck in the glass... Do you know something more about this?

My local camera store does not carry filters large enough for the 82ed.

Any suggestions for reliable on-line sales in the US? Should I just go to B&H, 42nd street etc..?

rw

B&H Photo worked for me just fine! I also bought my Swift 820 ED 8.5x44 bins from them back in 2003, no problem with B&H so far, but never have had to do anything with them except purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back