• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Visits today and yesterday morning resulted in at least two Black-tailed Godwits flying in and settling at the Moors Pool, a possible third and even four at one stage (colours on the one bird in the photograph are very pale, but it looks like a Godwit, any different and I'm sure somebody will post).
Herons feeding well, one in particular fed twice whilst I was there. The Little Egret showed well and spent time preening making the most of the glorious Bank Holiday sunshine.

Attachments

• A24Y3979.jpg
    A24Y3979.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 141
  • A24Y3874.jpg
    A24Y3874.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 105
  • A24Y3928.jpg
    A24Y3928.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 76
  • A24Y3930.jpg
    A24Y3930.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 72
  • A24Y3775.jpg
    A24Y3775.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 101
Visits today and yesterday morning resulted in at least two Black-tailed Godwits flying in and settling at the Moors Pool, a possible third and even four at one stage (colours on the one bird in the photograph are very pale, but it looks like a Godwit, any different and I'm sure somebody will post).
Herons feeding well, one in particular fed twice whilst I was there. The Little Egret showed well and spent time preening making the most of the glorious Bank Holiday sunshine.

I wonder if the greyer bird at the rear is a fourth Black-tailed Godwit - the three recent regular birds all sported orange hues.

I wonder if the greyer bird at the rear is a fourth Black-tailed Godwit - the three recent regular birds all sported orange hues.

Was going to say definitely not one of the 3 I saw last Tuesday .
Is it just a coincidence that 3 birds keep appearing. Also interesting that they prefer the Moors to the Flashes.. .. No Avocets to chase them off.
Question has the Flashes food source dried up or is Amy's Marsh offering a better menu??

Was going to say definitely not one of the 3 I saw last Tuesday .
Is it just a coincidence that 3 birds keep appearing. Also interesting that they prefer the Moors to the Flashes.. .. No Avocets to chase them off.
Question has the Flashes food source dried up or is Amy's Marsh offering a better menu??

Would be interesting to know if anyone saw three 'orange' godwits today

Today's Work Party

Thanks to the 12 of us today.
Andy Ambrose (welcome mate). Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Jim B. John C. Julie W. Kim W. Paul M. Ray C. Tony B and me.
Tasks:
1.Completed the new hide site clearance.
2. Julie cleaned out the Concrete (water rail ) hide
3. Strimmer in front of the Concrete hide opened up into the bay to the left and kingfisher preaching areas.
4. Cleared the sluice bank area.
These last two areas now offer opportunities for the All-DAYER participants to find a 'goodie.

Hopefully post pictures tomorrow
Click on my Twitter to see photo's

The OFFICIAL WORK PARTY'S will START ON Tuesday 12th SEPTEMBER.
Next week Julie will be cleaning out the two small hides at the FLASHES. We will be walking the Moors section of the reserve to plan the forthcoming work rosta.

Last edited:
Birding at Reserve today

Once again Amy's Marsh was alive with birds first thing.
The drizzle late morning brought in a few hirundines but nothing else. The gloomy conditions didn't seem good enough for the Hobby but it performed admirably... unfortunately all the work party togs had left cameras in cars8-P
This was the highlight of the day and hopefully this is is the
'Lull' before Saturday's All-dayer.
The Flashes was extremely quiet and I am concerned that something is amiss as the blackwits prefer the pool in the middle of 'Pool' island than their traditional areas on the Flashes. The invertebrate survey last week indicated that there wasn't a great diversity of food in 2nd Flash. So maybe this is why there is a dearth of waders.

MOORS:
Little grebe 28. Little egret. Grey heron 5. Cormorant 5. Greylag 52. Canada's 320. Shoveler 14. Teal 15. Gadwall 4. Tufted 40. Coot 70+. Water rail 2. Black tailed godwit 2. Green sand 1. Lapwing 110. BHG 110. LBBG 5.
Hobby. Kestrel. Great spotted w.
Swallow 10. House martin 40.
Cetti's. Sedge 3. Chiffchaff 10. Blackcap.
Starling 40. Greenfinch 5. Bullfinch 5.
Reed bunting

FLASHES:
Teal 15. Shoveler 12.
Green sand 4. Common sand 2. Lapwing 80.
Peregrine with stock dove prey.
Stock dove 80. Rook 20.
Linnet 6. Pied wag.

Last edited:
Autumn All-dayer 2/9/17

Thought I'd better post a bit of info on the autumn all-dayers as Phil suggested I would.

First up I've attached a check-list for anyone who wants one for Saturday, I will also have a dozen or so with me that I will leave in the hides.

The autumn all-dayers have been going for less time than those in spring, since 1996 rather than 1991 and with a three-year gap in the 00s. The highest overall total has been 89 in 2015 and we also managed 86 in 2010 and 85 in 2014. The early days saw low totals of 74 in 1998, 75 in 1997 & 2004 and 76 in 1996, 2005 & 2009. We also failed to break 80 in 2000, 2001, 2011 & 2012, so not a great record over the years (we only average 79.5 per year). On the other hand it gives us plenty of scope to improve!

To give some hope to those planning on spending all, or part, of the day on-site there have been a few scarcities found in previous years: Garganey (96,99 & 02); Black-necked Grebe (03); Bittern (09 & 10); Marsh Harrier (99); Knot (98); Little Stint (01); Curlew Sandpiper (02); Wood Sandpiper (98); Black Tern (98 & 11); Tree Sparrow (03); Osprey (12); Tree Pipit (15); Rock Pipit (16); Willow Tit (13).

On the other side of the coin many of the regular spring migrants are often absent and even Avocet has only been noted on three occasions - it doesn't seem likely that it will be a fourth this year!!

Hopefully on Saturday we can improve our average score and break 80 for only the 9th time in 19 years.

Attachments

• Autumn all dayer checklist.xls
    19 KB · Views: 41
A Fishy Tale

This morning pre-work party, there were four Moorhens, two on Pool Island and two on the far edge of the Broadmeadow Pool, each had a large, dead fish(roach?) that it was pecking.

Mid afternoon a juvenile Grey Heron was successfully catching fish, but was not successful in swallowing them(pic1), tossing the fish about before dropping back in the water(Pic2) and walking away. Within five minutes a dead fish was seen in another unlikely beak (pic3), before being snatched by an adult Heron and eventually consumed (pic4).

Juvenile Heron just practising its fishing skills, leaving dead fish for others to find?

Attachments

• Heron with fish-2396.jpg
    Heron with fish-2396.jpg
    939.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Heron with fish-1.jpg
    Heron with fish-1.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 98
  • crow with fish-1.jpg
    crow with fish-1.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 103
  • heron with fish-2412.jpg
    heron with fish-2412.jpg
    935.7 KB · Views: 92
Saturday's All-dayer

For all participants on Saturday .
I have got permission from Mark at AZTEC centre to go into Education Reserve.
All we are asked to do is close any gates behind you :t:B :)john

Last edited:
Invertebrate Survey

For anyone interested here are some of the observations from the survey..Dave W can probably analyse it better than most and put it in layman terms for us.
My observations are that these results are not indicative of the spring scene. We have gone through a mini-droubt and a lot of the food source has either died off or migrated. Or it is only seasonal from May to July coinciding with avocet breeding season. Still more work to be done during the spring. But will be difficult as it's the breeding season .

We started on site about 9 am and left about 4.30 am after having a well earned lunch break. I have attached 16 low resolution photos most of which are self explanatory.

Brief summary: Flashes 1 and 2 are much the same. They have a very low species diversity with the probable exception of flies. Only a few water boatmen were found, a couple of water beetles, including Hydroporus sp. and I think a small Helophorus and an Ochthebius sp. (Giles can provide more details and corrections) Shore bugs, blood worms. We found no evidence of molluscs, Crustaceans (such as freshwater shrimps or Daphnia), no leeches, no flatworms, no Odonata breeding, no caddis, no mayfly. There is Copepod oil on the surface of all flashes. Possible blue-green algae at north end of Flash 1. Crassula helmsii (New Zealand Pygmyweed) has just got established to the south of Flash 2. I collected a water sample from Flash 2 which has been posted to Sinclair Stammers, I bought a special net to catch microcrusteans but there appear to be none. He will be able to identify other microscope life, which I think will be very rich. One Three-spined male Stickleback was netted from Flash 2. The back marsh with grazed, loosely tufted Common Reed to the east had most of the beetles interest even though just inundated from last night and this shows further potential, I'd say for both inverts and birds. Both Flashes 1 and 2 has a continuous layer of black anoxic mud is meso-habitat for blood worms and other fly larvae. It varies in depth across the site (see Photos 0261 and 0264).

Flash 3 is by far the richest in terms of invertebrates. There were 1000's of small water boatmen (Sigara spp. certainly), probably representing just couple of species; mostly netted from the emergent reeds and club rush but also in the water column above the mud, we all had Corixa sp (not C. punctata) and Notonecta viridis, several beetles present including Enochrus, Hydroporus and Haliplus sp. and I think Noterus clavicornis but may be this was from the back marsh to Flash 2, again the other main groups were missing, apart from fly larvae. Flash 3 has many Three-spined Sticklebacks which hide in the reeds. I commented on their brightly coloured markings. There is also black anoxic mud in Flash 3.

Beside Flash 1 I have what I think might be Bombus humilis, if there are black hairs on the abdomen then it is just B. pascuorum.

Giles I think will look at some of the specimens tomorrow. I have a crayfish course.

Attachments

• DSC_0207 Three-spined Sticklebacks Flash 3 LR.jpg
    DSC_0207 Three-spined Sticklebacks Flash 3 LR.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
..... We found no evidence of molluscs, Crustaceans (such as freshwater shrimps or Daphnia), no leeches, no flatworms, no Odonata breeding, no caddis, no mayfly. .

When I took samples from the flashes a few years ago they were absolutely teaming with Daphnia - however, that was in summer (July 2012). I posted a few photos on this thread - see the (re)attached photo.

I think the abundance of these things must be cyclic or seasonal.

Definitely suitable Avocet food I would've thought.

Attachments

• Daphnia flashes.jpg
    Daphnia flashes.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
When I took samples from the flashes a few years ago they were absolutely teaming with Daphnia - however, that was in summer (July 2012). I posted a few photos on this thread - see the (re)attached photo.

I think the abundance of these things must be cyclic or seasonal.

Definitely suitable Avocet food I would've thought.

Dave where was the sample taken (roughly) .I will send it to the surveyor. I took photos of the waterboatmen that were in their thousands by the sluice gate in early summer some years ago. Like you say seasonal :t:

Dave where was the sample taken (roughly) .I will send it to the surveyor. I took photos of the waterboatmen that were in their thousands by the sluice gate in early summer some years ago. Like you say seasonal :t:

Within 20 yards of the sluice channel - first flash - map below shows the place quite accurately. :t:

Attachments

• Daphnia sampling point.jpg
    Daphnia sampling point.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand (6)------------------Common Sand (2)
Snipe (1)-------------------------Dunlin (2). Relocated from the Moors.
Lapwing (c150)------------------Curlew (10). 16 reported mid-afternoon.
Reed Warbler (2)----------------Sedge Warbler (1). Both warblers on the 3rd flash.
Shoveler (3)---------------------Gadwall (3)
Teal (58)-------------------------Kingfisher
Common Gull (2s)---------------Herring Gull (3)
L B B Gull (15)-------------------B H Gull (c300)
Mute Swan over------------------Rook (1)
Cetti's Warbler (Hen Pool)-------Greylag Goose (49)

MOORS:
Green Sand (1)-------------------Black-T-Godwit (2). Only viewable from the west hide.
Lapwing (46)---------------------Shoveler (11)
Gadwall (4)-----------------------Mute Swan (13)
Little Egret------------------------Kingfisher
House Martin (c50)---------------Water Rail (2)
Cetti's Warbler (1)----------------Sparrowhawk
G C Grebe (2)---------------------Starling (c400). On wires and pylon over western fields.
Mistle Thrush----------------------Kestrel
Grey Heron (5)

Des.

Botanical survey on Monday 4th SEPTEMBER

Monday 4th September 9.30 to 4.30
Monitoring of rare inland salt-marsh plant life will be undertaken at the Flashes. To be effective the work can only be done at this time. Due to being weather dependent we cannot guarantee the work days.
We apologise for any inconvenience if your viewing is disrupted. Please do visit the other half of the reserve, the Moors pools.

Best wishes,

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back