• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will they come? (2 Viewers)

jb144

After 2 years of no nestings in my home made camera nest box I decided to buy a commercial one. Can I ask when domestic birds will begin to explore new roostings? The home made one has had blue tits in the past, but it was looking a bit tatty. Maybe Northumbrian birds are more fussy. (No Jokes please)

Thanks for reading...………..

Hi JB I've moved your post to the Information Wanted Forum, as the Site Notice Board is for posts relevant to the running of Birdforum.

I subscribed you to the thread, so you should be able to find it easily and will be notified of any replies.

Hi jb,

When did you put the box up and where is it’s location - have you got a picture?

You might get more answers if this was in the nest box board. We have two commercial nest boxes and it took about three months for the blue tits to start roosting in them. Ours both face east, one is attached to a large tree, the other to a house wall.

I had a nest box up in my garden for three years and it was never occupied despite a couple of exploratory surveys by blue and coal tits. Eventually last spring I moved it and within days had lots of interest with a pair of Wrens finally moving in.
The difference was that I moved it from a north facing to a south facing wall, and also placed it a little higher up bedside a rather rampant trumpet vine that grows up that wall. I think the additional cover, and the warmer aspect were the deciding factors.
If you have no success, try a different position next year. it worked for me.

I had a nest box up in my garden for three years and it was never occupied despite a couple of exploratory surveys by blue and coal tits. Eventually last spring I moved it and within days had lots of interest with a pair of Wrens finally moving in.
The difference was that I moved it from a north facing to a south facing wall, and also placed it a little higher up bedside a rather rampant trumpet vine that grows up that wall. I think the additional cover, and the warmer aspect were the deciding factors.
If you have no success, try a different position next year. it worked for me.

A South facing wall will potentially be deadly to any chicks, the box will get the full heat of the sun all day unless there is some shade provided.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back