• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

An interesting report of 25 Dunlin at the Moors Pool on the 20th January as per BirdTrack - I assume this is a drop down menu error and should have read Snipe? (which wasn't listed).

Hi all

The two mute swans at the Flashes both had red rings - could not see the numbers - weather was terrible!

The only large gulls I could see were 4 LBB and the juvenile pic attached, I am not good enough with gulls to identify!

Attachments

• CF80E38F-FA57-4A93-B031-7454D6E81C7B.jpeg
    CF80E38F-FA57-4A93-B031-7454D6E81C7B.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 86
From the Moors Pool this morning Andy A reports:

12 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall , 25 Teal, male Pochard, 48 Tufted Duck , 57 Lapwing, 18 Snipe

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Oystercatcher, Jack Snipe, 11 Curlew, 3 Snipe, 16 Lapwing, 9 Shelduck, 24 Teal

Also 2 singing Skylarks - new for the year - over the ploughed field adjacent to the Flashes as per Andy A.

Also 2 singing Skylarks - new for the year - over the ploughed field adjacent to the Flashes as per Andy A.

This year can we ask all visitors to Upton Warren to please make a concerted effort in recording the number and location of singing Skylarks (normally overlooked in reporting) om both sides of the reserve so we can gain a better understanding of the local status of this struggling farmland bird.

Work party tomorrow

We will again be at the Moors pool...so for anyone planning to visit the reserve...I would suggest go to Moors after 1 as the car park will probably be full.

Arrived at Moors at 0630 in an attempt to bag a tawny but no luck...so the best of the rest were

Moors 0630-1030
Greylag (25)
Shelduck (6)
Shoveler (14)
Gadwall (4)
Teal (34)
Pochard (1 male)
Tufted (48)
Lapwing (57)
Snipe (18)
Cormorant (11)
Kingfisher (1)
Cetti's (1)
Song Thrush (2)
Redwing (3)
Fieldfare (4)

Flashes 1100-1300
Shelduck (9... presumably including those from moors)
Teal (26)
Oystercatcher (1)
Curlew (10)
Skylark (a pair briefly displaying over ploughed field)
Chiffchaff (2)
Goldcrest (1)

Belated news of an adult Mediterranean Gull (ring on left leg: '37L3' but colour unreported) at the Moors Pool on the 16th as per Chas Owen and John Morton.

Belated news of an adult Mediterranean Gull (ring on left leg: '37L3' but colour unreported) at the Moors Pool on the 16th as per Chas Owen and John Morton.

How do you not note the colour?!?

Anyway, the only scheme I can find with four characters beginning with a 3 is a Belgian/Dutch scheme. If it is that one it would have been a white ring with black numbers/letters.

How do you not note the colour?!?

Anyway, the only scheme I can find with four characters beginning with a 3 is a Belgian/Dutch scheme. If it is that one it would have been a white ring with black numbers/letters.

The colour may have been noted, just not referenced in the report on Worcester Birding. I drew the same conclusion that it was likely to be a Belgian scheme sporting a white ring. I will drop a line to the scheme coordinator.

Lost Brooch

I found a small silver brooch on the floor in the main Flashes hide this afternoon. If the owner reads this and can describe the brooch I will make arrangements for it to be returned somehow.
Unfortunately no Barn Owl while I was there.
Great day at the work party bye the way - great camaraderie, achievement for the reserve, fresh air, exercise and cake !! a fulfilling way to spend a Tuesday morning.

Today's work party at Moors

Thanks to all 27 of the crew today..another great effort.

The tall leggy blackthorn thicket between the 2 west hides was pruned today. This is for two reasons firstly to create a better 'thick' scrub for nesting birds and to reinvigorate the flora. Secondly to improve the views from the Jacobs hide over the north end of the Moors pool and reed beds. ( we will complete this next week).
The screen right of the water rail hide will also be refurbished.The spindle trees were left untouched.

The willows growing on the ridge north of water rail hide were coppiced to improve views and encourage the bramble scrub to flourish.

The section of blackthorn hedgerow in the NE corner of the North Moors trail was pruned downto 3 foot. The reason for this was to allow light into the newly coppiced blackthorn thicket and to improve views of the scrubby area from nearby bench. Nesting birds will also benefit from a thicker stronger hedge.

Thanks to
Alan D. Andy A. Bob G. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Chris S. Dave H. Dave (Nick's mate). Ellen A. Graham L. Ian B. Ian J. Ian R. John H. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Ray C. Roger S. Steve T. Sue T. Terry W . Tony B and me
Thanks to Sue for cakesB :)

Next week back at Moors Julie and Bobby are cake making

John

Birding the Reserve Today

MOORS
GCG. Little grebe 3. Cormorant 16. Mute swan 4. Greylag 11.
Shoveler 27. Gadwall 6. Teal 45. Shelduck 9.
Tufted 40.
Coot 10 max!.
Snipe 25 (then 50+ were flushed from the lagoon) during a 'swan battle'. Jack snipe. Lapwing 70+.
BHG 500+ moving south am.
Kestrel. Sparrowhawk male.
Kingfisher. Green woodp. Great sp woodp x2.
Redwing 2. Song thrush 4singing.
Coal tit. Bullfinch 2. Chaffinch 3. Greenfinch 8. Cetti's 3 along west side.
Reed bunting 5.
Stonechat seen from west side viewpoint in sedge by Keith Moore early afternoon

FLASHES
Mute swan 2. Greylag 30. Canada's 80.
Little egret 3 flew over north field to roost at sailing pool.
Teal 10. Mallard 35. Tufted 30. Shelduck 9.
Coot 13.
Snipe 6. Jack snipe landed in front of hide late on. Curlew 11. Lapwing 7. No green sand even though I stayed until 5.50pm.
Gull roost BHG 1100. LBBG 1. Common gull sporting a very dark grey hood.
Buzzard 2. Barn Owl briefly flew across the front of the hide heading north.
Stonechat female in meadow right of sewage works.

Info...The sailing pool is being treated with 20 tonnes of a chalk compound to counteract the blue green algae. This has been recommended by Natural England...so birds will be affected due to disturbance ie GCG will move out temporarily.
John

Last edited:
This morning at the Flashes Andy P reports:

Oystercatcher, Green Sandpiper, 11 Curlew, 25 Lapwing, 9 Shelduck, 35 Teal, c150 Canada Geese, 14 Greylag Geese, c300 BH Gull, 4 LBB Gull, Barn Owl at 7:10am

Last edited:

A very speedy response from the ringing scheme (under 12 hours - British projects take note!!) reveals the bird was actually ringed in Denmark. It is well travelled individual, including a visit to Sandwell Valley late last year as per our very own Craig Reed. Will post the full history this evening.

Muntjac Deer and Stonechat on the west side of the Moors Pool as per Jason Wills.

Also Otter along by boardwalk by the Hen Brook at the Flashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back