• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

magpie (1 Viewer)

rose taylor

We've had a poorly magpie in the garden this weekend. He had a sore eye, looked like he's had an infection or something. He was still eating the food on the lawn, but didn't fly off when I approached him. We found him dead this afternoon. Sarah says we should report his death. We phoned DEFRA, but there was no one in, should try tomorrow or should we just bury him, Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks
Rose.

Aw Rose I love Magpies.

I dont think you have to notify DEFRA because its not a wading bird. I would just go ahead and bury the poor thing. If you.re not sure though a quck phone call to them will put your mind at rest.

just found this. It should help.

Avian influenza (bird flu): Wild birds
This page gives information about wild birds. For information about farmed, pet or otherwise kept birds, please see our kept birds page.

Guidance on handling and disposing of dead garden and wild birds
Surveillance for Avian Influenza in wild birds
Wild birds, nests and advice on licensing
Public parks and open waters
Precautions
Wild birds can carry several diseases that are infectious to people. If dead birds are handled, it is important to wash your hands with soap and water as soon as possible. Avoid touching your face and certainly do not eat until you have washed your hands. Clean any soiling on clothing with soap and water.

Guidance on handling and disposing of dead garden and wild birds
The advice given here applies in all circumstances where members of the public may come across a dead bird, regardless of whether there is any avian influenza in the UK. For information on the disposal of poultry please see our Fallen stock pages.

If you find dead wild gulls, waders, ducks, geese or swans and you are within a survey area or unsure whether you are in a surveillance area you may wish to contact the Defra Helpline (08459 33 55 77) and choose the Avian Influenza option which will be open from 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri. Please see the wild bird surveillance pages for more information.

If you find die offs involving 10 or more dead birds of the same species or from different species in the same place you should contact the Defra Helpline (08459 33 55 77) and choose the Avian Influenza option which will be open from 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri.

If you find any single dead birds (or less than 10), including garden birds then you do not need to call the Defra helpline. You should:

leave it alone, or
follow the guidelines below for disposal
Wild birds can carry several diseases that are infectious to people and some simple hygiene precautions should minimise the risk of infection. It is hard for people to catch avian influenza from birds and the following simple steps are also effective against avian influenza.

If you have to move a dead bird:

Avoid touching the bird with your bare hands
If possible, wear disposable protective gloves when picking up and handling (if disposable gloves are not available see 7)
Place the dead bird in a suitable plastic bag, preferably leak proof. Care should be taken not to contaminate the outside of the bag
Tie the bag and place it in a second plastic bag
Remove gloves by turning them inside out and then place them in the second plastic bag. Tie the bag and dispose of in the normal household refuse bin.
Hands should then be washed thoroughly with soap and water
If disposable gloves are not available, a plastic bag can be used as a make-shift glove. When the dead bird has been picked up, the bag can be turned back on itself and tied. It should then be placed in a second plastic bag, tied and disposed of in the normal household waste
Alternatively, the dead bird can be buried, but not in a plastic bag
Any clothing that has been in contact with the dead bird should be washed using ordinary washing detergent at the temperature normally used for washing the clothing.
Any contaminated indoor surfaces should be thoroughly cleaned with normal household cleaner.
We are currently seeing an increase in garden bird and particularly finch deaths. The most affected species are greenfinch and chaffinch. The majority of current deaths are being caused by a protozoal organism Trichomonas. This is not a disease which humans can catch and it is unrelated to Avian Influenza.

Aahh... that's a shame Rose, poor bird, it's always sad when we have this happen in our gardens. I would just bury him if I were you.
My Best to You Rose,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back