• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Three species of raptor were seen today Peregrine, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel, they put up the Lapwings a number of times and up to 1000 birds were seen in flight at one time.
A Redshank was at Fishers Mill Pool, 2 Cetti's Warbler were singing and 2 Little Egret were around but the rarest bird seen was a flyover Collared Dove, they are usually only seen by Dosthill village.
Geoff

I was going birding around the reserve as usual this morning but a work party was working around Fishers Mill Pool so I stayed to help out for awhile. I'm glad I did as while pulling up some Willow shoots 2 Jack Snipe and 3 Common Snipe flew up, the only other bird seen was a Little Egret on the new reedbed pool.
Yesterday I looked for owls but none appeared.
Geoff

Muddy, Muddy, Muddy

A recent visit to the reserve I saw someone had put on the sightings board at the RSPB carpark, Muddy, Muddy, Muddy.
I have noticed that the track from the carpark to Fisher's mill bridge has become muddy due to the increased usage of the area since the reserve was opened.
The track from Fisher's mill Bridge to the North pit is muddy but not as bad as in past years before RSPB ownership where it was in danger of going over your wellington's.
From Fisher's mill Bridge area to the north pit the mud dries later in the year to provide habitat for the pretty flower Sand Spurry.
So as your moving through the mud you are creating habitat for this species which would find it difficult in grassed over areas.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 010#035.jpg
    010#035.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
5 Dunlin on the North Pit made 95 species for the year so far, otherwise a Woodcock in the southern section and a Grey Wagtail on the river were the highlights.
The last few days have been quiet although a Short-eared Owl has been reported again. A European Cormorant (white head and neck) was seen on the 28th Jan. they have been scarce this winter. 6 Goosander were on the river on the 29th and 5 Little Egret were seen on the 30th.
2 mad March Hares were boxing on the 28th.
Geoff

A pleasant sunny afternoon although the pools were 90% frozen, I went over the Dosthill side hoping for Bittern but there was no sign of any. There was a Snipe and a Green Sandpiper along the river. Water Rail and Cetti's Warbler were calling.
The holes in the ice were crowded with wildfowl including 7 Great Crested Grebe and 17 Goldeneye and flying up and down the river were 5 Goosander and a Kingfisher.
I did notice several spent shotgun cartridges on the ground up the north end of Dosthill NR, perhaps there will be less disturbance when the bridge is built?
Geoff

Last edited:
Some pools were completely frozen this morning but those with some open areas were packed with wildfowl. 16 Shelducks and 4 Little Egret were on the north pit, the Grey Wagtail was still on the river and Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen and a Lesser was reported.
A Water Rail was feeding in a ditch by the silt pond. Waders were down to 1 Lapwing and 1 Snipe.
Geoff

There were 7 month ticks for me today, the best being a redhead Smew on the river with 2 Goldeneye which then flew to Dosthill NR, also a drake Pintail was asleep on the north pit. 9 Little Grebe were around and 2 Stonechat were in the centre of the reserve.
The other monthly ticks were Common Gull, Gt Black-backed Gull, Goldcrest and Bullfinch.
Geoff

The Pintail was still on north pit and the Smew was on the river again this morning, also on north pit were 2 Little Egrets, 20 Shelduck, 1 Peregrine and a Dunlin. 4 Snipe were around the reserve.
12 Yellowhammer and 17 Linnet were by the Pheasant feeders and set aside near Fishers Mill public footpath.
Geoff

Pintail flew in to North Pit about 10;30, Smew(Redhead) on first pool on right as you walk towards the North Pit from the river. Photo attached, done at max zoom with a compact

Attachments

• Redhead smew.JPG
    Redhead smew.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Afternoon visit, 4 Ravens flew over calling, a Cetti's Warbler was singing along the canal ditch and the Pintail was still on the north pit.
The Smew was reported again on the river.
Geoff

The reserve was quiet this afternoon with just the Pintail and a Goosander of interest. The Pheasant feeders were attracting 23 Yellowhammers, 6 Chaffinch, 2 Bullfinch and 3 Reed Bunting, a Kestrel was singing, if you could call it that, around Mill Plantation.
Geoff

Sun 12/02

Pintail (m), Little Egret- North Pit
Smew (redhead) - along river between RSPB and Dosthill NR
Yellowhammer 4+ - Fishers Mill track
Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Bullfinch x2 - Mill Plantation

Matt

Morning visit to the Dosthill side of the river, there was still a lot of ice about but it felt much milder.
The Smew was then on the southern part of the river with a Grey Wagtail and a record count? of 17 Goosander were on Dosthill NR. A Skylark and a Cetti's Warbler were singing and a Chiffchaff was calling.
In the woods were a small flock of Lesser Redpoll and Goldfinch.
Yesterday 32 Goldeneye were on Dosthill NR and a Pied Wagtail was new for the month.
I see that a Merlin was reported on Friday per TVB, this would bring the year list to 96.
Geoff

The WeBS counters were out today but with many pools still frozen not a lot was seen by either of us. Steve C did have 2 Barn Owl and a Marsh Tit however, also a Ringed Plover was reported over the weekend.
The drake Pintail was still on the north pit with a Redshank and 6 Golden Plover flew over. A Kingfisher flew along the river.
The year list now stands at 99 species.
Geoff

The pools had started to thaw today but it was still quiet bird wise. The north pit had a Little Egret and a Snipe on it, 7+ Goosander were on Dosthill NR. The pair of Stonechat were still around and 1 or 2 Siskin were in a mixed flock of Redpoll and Goldfinch by Mill Plantation.
It was RSPB build a nest box day at the carpark , the RSPB's got a campaign going that everyone should put up a nest box for Swifts, I was hoping to make one there but all they had were Blue Tit boxes and I have plenty of those.
Geoff

Yesterday I did an afternoon visit, 3 Redshank and a pair of Stonechat were seen, 2 Dunlin and a Short-eared Owl were reported.
Ross and co. had a mothing session on the evening and caught 6 species and they also noted 4 Little Egret flying into the heronry to roost.
Geoff

A bit of wader passage this morning, 3 Oystercatcher, 1 Ringed Plover and a Dunlin were on the north pit and a Golden Plover flew over calling. 2 Little Egret were also on the north pit and 4 Siskin were in Mill Plantation.
Geoff

Not much to report today, just 1 Dunlin, 2 Snipe and a singing Cetti's.
Edit:However I see a report on RBA of 2 drake Smew on the middle pool at 2.35pm
Geoff

Last edited:
The last two days have been more springlike bringing out some bees, butterflies and irritating small flies. A drake Pintail has been on the north pit on both days with up to 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Redshank and a Ringed Plover.
Today a work party was out and 3 Jack Snipe and 9 Common Snipe were seen. A Med Gull was reported and a Short-eared Owl was hunting by Fishers Mill Pool between 5:15 and 5:40pm. 2 Cetti's Warbler were singing.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back