• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glossy -black Thrush (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm that this is a Glossy -black Thrush? Taken in Yanacocha Reserve Ecuador in July.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A2235.jpg
    _A0A2235.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 7
  • _A0A2237.jpg
    _A0A2237.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 9
  • _A0A2238.jpg
    _A0A2238.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 12
  • _A0A2239.jpg
    _A0A2239.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 19
Hmm not sure about this. Alternative is great thrush. This is normally lighter in colour, esp. on the underparts but dark individuals can approach (light) glossy-black males. Tail length is possibly the indicative character, with great ~ equal to body excluding head, glossy-black slightly shorter. Here, suggestion is it's slightly shorter favouring glossy-black but the angle doesn't help and foreshortens it. The uniform underparts also favour glossy-black. Great is generally much more visible (e.g. in central Quito)

[edit] my first thought when I saw it was great thrush, mostly for the reasons Andrew suggests but not certain and points I note above favour Glossy - black

Last edited:
Seen many Great's but this bird looked different, darker, as well as, more uniform. That's why I thought it might be a Glossy-black Thrush. Thanks Dave and Fern.

I'd favour Great Thrush. The plumage tone seems noticeably brownish to me, which is right for Great Thrush. I'd expect Glossy Black Thrush to look blacker, more glossy and perhaps with a slight blue tone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back