• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Had a wonderful predawn listen a few days ago, resulting in nearly 250 calls in 15 minutes. Almost all were Swainson's Thrushes, but I did pull out two or three clear

86. Gray-cheeked Thrush

flight calls! As warbler season begins to wind down, I get the distinct feeling that every new "tick" will be of immense value. At this point I'd be hoping for things like Am. Pipit, Purple Finch, and maybe a sparrow or two. Irruptive finches and other passerines are forecast to be almost nonexistent this fall.

Had a wonderful predawn listen a few days ago, resulting in nearly 250 calls in 15 minutes. Almost all were Swainson's Thrushes, but I did pull out two or three clear

86. Gray-cheeked Thrush

flight calls! As warbler season begins to wind down, I get the distinct feeling that every new "tick" will be of immense value. At this point I'd be hoping for things like Am. Pipit, Purple Finch, and maybe a sparrow or two. Irruptive finches and other passerines are forecast to be almost nonexistent this fall.

Swainson’s Thrush calls are quite distinctive, to the point of being able to imitate and elicit responses most times, and sometimes being able to call out. :t:

Many years ago, I excavated a large pool, stocked it with small fish and planted a few shrubs on its margins ...perfect I thought for a wandering Kingfisher ...did have a Kingfisher on my forest pool some years ago, but here we are, near ten years later, one finally arrived on my specially created pool -perching on the said overhanging bushes and catching the little fish :)

Been a bit lazy to update recently, also had plenty of Goldcrest moving through in the last week or so, plus one more Red-footed Falcon.

125. Kingfisher
126. Goldcrest

My ex colleague from Lebanon has done something similar where he now lives in a built up environment in Middlesbrough, with a pleasing result like yours Jos!
See https://northormesbynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Put up the feeders for the first time since April, Marsh Tit the first to arrive :t:

Swainson’s Thrush calls are quite distinctive, to the point of being able to imitate and elicit responses most times, and sometimes being able to call out. :t:

It is a wonderful sound, Ken! I did try the imitation thing on a prior night, with some success.

I have my new garden to think about in Wales now. I live in a remote area (small estate) surrounded by fields, and have a herd of cows just over my back garden wall.

I have befriended a local Robin, and hopefully he will come down when the weather turns colder for his mealworms

One Wren had taken on any bird that dares adventure into our garden area - he is just a character so full of energy and is not camera shy. Look forward to getting some good shots of him/her- and photo close-ups too.

Just looking forward to winter, setting up the bird feeders and see what we get in the bird department now

:-O:-O:-O:-O

A nice morning after a cold front a few days ago brought two new "ticks", much to my delight.

87. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2nd yard record)
88. Black-throated Blue Warbler (yard lifer!)

Both the BT Blues were stunning males!

47. Osprey 2 south

Been back in UK a few days now. Realised I'd missed off Feral Pigeon. :eek!:

Was back there for a few days in July, there was a Common Redstart in the garden half the time which was nice, and spotted a Melodious Warbler briefly. Unfortunately I have no recollection of whether or not I heard Golden Oriole and Nightingale, or saw a Honey Buzzard, all of which 'should' have been around I think. Shameful!

Think that's ok for 50 for the year sofa rtho ...

Two more today, once again a yard lifer being one of the additions.

89. Palm Warbler
90. Winter Wren (yard lifer)

As for the wren, the cute little bugger worked a neighbor's garden boxes just moments after a Merlin sat on a different neighbor's roof! I did coax it out with a bit of pishing. :)

22 Female black cap seen on my apple tree yesterday , several years have had a male and female in garden
from october to march
Robin in garden again since last week will stay until near end of march .
Since wednesday 2 blue tits ,3 greenfinches and a chiff chaff have joined the resident 30+house sparrows, 3
blackbirds and two collared doves etc .

Another day, another yard lifer! This is some October I'm having.

91. Wood Duck (f) (yard lifer)

This was a quick flyby that blasted past on a breezy morning, but I got on it just long enough to get proper shape and color.

Let's see what the rest of the month brings! Winter Wren was not on my radar. Rusty Blackbird, American Pipit, and YB Sapsucker should be possible (but a bit lucky) as flyovers. I'm still missing some huge ones, including Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, and WB Nuthatch.

At this point, I'm a bit skeptical about hitting 100. It'll be close, though!

Another day, another yard lifer! This is some October I'm having.

91. Wood Duck (f) (yard lifer)

This was a quick flyby that blasted past on a breezy morning, but I got on it just long enough to get proper shape and color.

Let's see what the rest of the month brings! Winter Wren was not on my radar. Rusty Blackbird, American Pipit, and YB Sapsucker should be possible (but a bit lucky) as flyovers. I'm still missing some huge ones, including Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, and WB Nuthatch.

At this point, I'm a bit skeptical about hitting 100. It'll be close, though!

Not to say Wood Duck aren't good birdmeister...they are, but I preferred your last lifer!...Central Park a few years ago. :t:

Attachments

• Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 16
"Winter is coming"

#69. Waxwing - Couple of these fly over with Fieldfares and Carduelisis.
#70. Brambling - 3 yesterday evening and one just a few minutes ago.

"Winter is coming"

#69. Waxwing - Couple of these fly over with Fieldfares and Carduelisis.
#70. Brambling - 3 yesterday evening and one just a few minutes ago.

Snap Wari! Just had my first Brambling of the - let's stay with Autumn for now shall we?;).
I decided to do an hour or so's vis-migging early this morning, encouraged by a couple of recent visits to the migration watch point on the Rhône an hour from here. It reminded me how our valley is really not on the migration route :C
In one hour I managed 6 Woodpigeon, 3 Chaffinch and 2 Goldfinch, plus the cerise sur le gateau, two

80 Meadow Pipit

I'm going to need some luck to match the 86 total of 2018...........

Snap Wari! Just had my first Brambling of the - let's stay with Autumn for now shall we?;).
I decided to do an hour or so's vis-migging early this morning, encouraged by a couple of recent visits to the migration watch point on the Rhône an hour from here. It reminded me how our valley is really not on the migration route :C
In one hour I managed 6 Woodpigeon, 3 Chaffinch and 2 Goldfinch, plus the cerise sur le gateau, two

80 Meadow Pipit

I'm going to need some luck to match the 86 total of 2018...........

Hopefully Autumn will be as long and warm as possible. :t: (But my friend from Ranua - Southern Lapland - put me short video yesterday and there was snowing, white blanket on the ground and all... :eek!:)

I need only two and then I'm last year's result... but you never know. It may even be that I will not receive any new ticks this year...

Just caught the back of it twice, as it finished hovering in front of the Holly before rapid exit into said, thought that it looked a tad bright and waited for it to re-emerge some 15 mins.later, just the one brief visit last year, will hope for a few more this year....no.84 Firecrest

Last edited:
Not to be discouraged I did another hour sky watching once the Ireland Rugby match had finished B :) I was just begiining to consider counting Red Admirals as they seemed to be the only migration visible when,glory be, a migrating bird of prey!! Only my second ever

81 Marsh Harrier

here and the first autumn one, heading south very high.

I need only two and then I'm last year's result... but you never know. It may even be that I will not receive any new ticks this year...

About an hour after I wrote the previous one, I happened to look out the kitchen window and...

#71. :king: (Garden lifer by the way)

Attachments

• abacIMG_2534.jpg
    abacIMG_2534.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 39
October 14th.

72. Great Black-backed Gull

A lot of activity over the garden most mornings now but nothing else new. First Siskin of the autumn today though.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back