• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Beeky

I was thinking about getting an adapter so that I could couple my Opticron Imagic 65/45 to my Canon EOS 10D digital SLR, but after reading some of the threads on this forum I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Has anyone out there actually had any success with digiscoping?, if so, let's
hear how you did it, where you happy with the image quality, etc.

Beeky,digiscoping can be good.Just go to the Gallery and see shots taken by Digi,and several other members who do take brilliant digiscoped images.When I have re visited the Gallery,will mention a few more names,I think Aki,is another contributor.His shots are stunning.It is an art,as it were.with suitable equipment and expertise,you can take a shot which is equivalent to a 600mm lens.This is at half the price and weight .i think the general opinion is that compact cams are more suitable for digiscoping than SLR's,but there are members who have taken excellent shots using an SLR.
For the amateurs among'st us,the larger the subject,and the more static the easier it will be,eg Heron.If you try fast moving ducks,then the answer is no.If you have the equipment then give it a go.

Hello...I'm new to the forum and having difficulty finding my way, I've looked at the gallery and there are some really stunning shots, all I looked at were taken with long lens SLRs, how do I find the work of specific members? eg...Digi, Aki, or any others you could mention.

thanks...Mike

Digi-scoping is worth it if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a DSLR and lens. I don't have a gallery here, but pop over to my website to have a look. All the images are digiscoped. Some are just records shots, others I am very proud of.

http://www.wallbank.me.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=2

I use a Nikon 80mm spotting scope (not the most expensive and nowhere near as good as the opticron's around), and a Canon S45. The camera is either hand held to the lens, of if I have time to set-up i use a Baader clamp.

Wally

Beeky said:
I was thinking about getting an adapter so that I could couple my Opticron Imagic 65/45 to my Canon EOS 10D digital SLR, but after reading some of the threads on this forum I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Has anyone out there actually had any success with digiscoping?, if so, let's
hear how you did it, where you happy with the image quality, etc.
As you already have the scope and camera ,another £40-50s for a telephoto-adapter and T2 mount would be the cheapest option.Although a 65mm scope might not be bright enough and depending which eyepiece you have. :scribe:

Like any new skill, digiscoping takes some getting used to. Fairly static birds can be easy providing the camera is set correctly and everything is focused in. The difficulties come because birds are usually not very obliging and refuse to keep still. Things come very much more difficult then.

I often take ten shots and maybe out of them just one will be useable. Lots of pictures of birds bums!! Beautiful pictures of ripples on a pond where a bird was once sat. Good posed shots that are hopelessly out of focus.

It is so frustrating, but every now and again you will get a picture that just beats everything and makes the whole thing worth while!!

mickporter said:
I often take ten shots and maybe out of them just one will be useable. Lots of pictures of birds bums!! Beautiful pictures of ripples on a pond where a bird was once sat. Good posed shots that are hopelessly out of focus.

It is so frustrating, but every now and again you will get a picture that just beats everything and makes the whole thing worth while!!

Thats exactly it. If you are willing to persevere it can be a very rewarding way of taking pictures.

I'm still searching for that picture :)

Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back