• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (3 Viewers)

...P51, Spitfire, P51...

I'll never forget as a kid, hearing the sound of two V-12's (Spit, and P51) harmonising as they flew overhead at about 500ft on their way to an airshow.

That, along with 5 litre V-8's turning 8 grand down Conrod at Bathurst, sparked an interest in engines, along with flight, which eventually led to engineering, and of course full circle to the natural powered equivalent flight in birds and aerodynamics....

Chosun :gh:

This is part of a living history display that travels around the US, puts on a show. Had a B-25 there also, which I missed coming in. B-17 is on its base leg in the background. B-24, in foreground. Was about 10 meters behind both, shooting video, pilots full throttled starboard engines to turn, and prop wash sent me tumbling. If I can find, post it in flickr, the end frames aren't pretty, though.

EDIT: Thanks to John and others that has shared some wonderful shots of history.
The link below is to my flickr account, is the video of B-24 on its taxi in.
Was tied to an anxious Siberian Husky, shooting a camera owned for 4 hours.
I apologize for shaky footage
[url]http://flic.kr/p/gXkhM5[/URL]

Attachments

• B24 & B17.jpg
    B24 & B17.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Pretty good effort between everyone. The full answer is:

Front rank: P47 centre, two P51s

Second rank: F4U Corsair, two Furies (for the anal the four blade prop one is a Fury, the other is a Sea Fury)

Third rank: Curtiss Hawk 75, two Yak 9ds

Fourth rank: Hispano Buchon (Spanish license-built BF 109 with RR Merlin engine) with two P51s

Fifth rank: Buchon, two Spitfires

Two Curtiss P40s line-astern, one an Allison-engined Pearl Harbour survivor, the other a Merlin-engined P40F Kittyhawk

Four more Spitfires.

Awesome

John

I had better give my aircraft recognition trophies back ;-(

I haven't yet got onto the aircraft stories you very kindly sent me (no hurry is there!), but I am thoroughly enjoying "Birduder 344", just up to your great birding Scily experience, and being shut out the room in your briefs having gone to the wc !!

Its a great read, and I can associate with a lot of it surprisingly closely, including the trips around airfields, as well as exactly the same circumstances shutting my self out of the room in me skids, except for me it was after copious beer in Portugal.

Last edited:
I haven't yet got onto the aircraft stories you very kindly sent me (no hurry is there!), but I am thoroughly enjoying "Birduder 344", just up to your great birding Scily experience, and being shut out the room in your briefs having gone to the wc !!

Its a great read, and I can associate with a lot of it surprisingly closely, including the trips around airfields, as well as exactly the same circumstances shutting my self out of the room in me skids, except for me it was after copious beer in Portugal.

I can also identify with that, except I had nothing on at all and it was my first night in India..... or does that belong in the scary moments thread?

John

As the site administrators have reminded us, its Remembrance weekend in the UK.

In support of their stance shown by publishing two great poems, here is my offering. Its author flew Spitfires and was killed in a mid-air collision, but not before bequeathing to the world one of the great celebrations of flying: High Flight.

High Flight by John Magee

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunwards I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a thousand things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air,
Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of god.

John

What a great Thread, I am truly hooked on both birds & Aircraft, we have been lucky this year both with the birds and aircraft, went on several air base visits, but the Ace was a V.I.P day at R.A.F. Scampton with the Red Arrows had a briefing with them, then a display for us all 80 of us, then we had lunch and a chat to the Pilots, when I see them now I always think of red 9, as he is a right laugh.

Attachments

• our group with reds.jpg
    our group with reds.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ball resize.jpg
    ball resize.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 126
  • red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 008.jpg
    red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 008.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 114
  • red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 026.jpg
    red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 026.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 111
  • red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 151.jpg
    red arrows 4-7-13 warm sunny 151.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 108
FJ that is a wonderful poem, haven't read it in ages

I hadn't either, but something pinged me to dig it out. I don't really do poetry beyond Spike Milligan, but that one goes deep into my being.

Even an earthbound driver can identify with "I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air," - just put me on any decent A road in the Highlands and stand well back...

John

"I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air,"

That sounds like my first radar vectored IMC approach (frightening but we just, and I mean just, lived to tell the tale)

Rob

Count me in as another who enjoys anything with wings.

Here's a snap taken over the West coast of Greenland, difficult to see any migrants from that altitude though.;)

Attachments

• _DSC0474 (Medium).JPG
    _DSC0474 (Medium).JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 125
I have a thing for crop dusters. When I'm out at the lake with camera in hand, looking for hawks and eagles, I will always stop and watch the crop dusters come and go from the nearby airport. Funny, I hate the thought of riding in a passenger jet or plane, but I love the thought of flying one, especially a crop duster. Not sure where that comes from.

I have a thing for crop dusters. When I'm out at the lake with camera in hand, looking for hawks and eagles, I will always stop and watch the crop dusters come and go from the nearby airport. Funny, I hate the thought of riding in a passenger jet or plane, but I love the thought of flying one, especially a crop duster. Not sure where that comes from.
The last time I was at the Guadalhorce reserve in Spain this pair of Air Tractors came across from Malaga airport just a couple of miles away.

Attachments

• 010-Air-Tractors,-Guadalhorce-Reserve-web.jpg
    010-Air-Tractors,-Guadalhorce-Reserve-web.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 111
For UK warbirders (see what I did there?) the Canadian Lancaster will be visiting the UK in August 2014 for one month. It will be hosted by BBMF at Coningsby and a number of appearances by both Lancasters are planned.

This is a unique opportunity and unlikely to be repeated. I know what I shall be doing.....

John

Caught up with the two Lancasters yesterday at Dawlish Airshow. If anyone who likes planes hasn't seen this pair yet, they will be at Bournemouth next Saturday and Sunday - on one of the days so will I....

Incidentally seaside airshows are not to be sniffed at. Several are close to big hills or coastal cliffs giving a different perspective: anyone can take pictures looking UP at aeroplanes, down is more unusual!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back