• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (8 Viewers)

So the Bourn Brook Kingfisher pair have disappeared lol.
I last saw them a fortnight a go.
Then there was a twitter report approx. 10 days a go.
Funny they have disappeared when all the fish turn up.
Don't know whats happened.
And there's no fledglings along the brook.
Then the River Tame/River Rea pair have disappeared.
Again no fledglings along the river.
The good news is, now a pair have turned up on the River Rea at an old location.
So it could be the Bourn Brook or River Tame/River Rea pair.
Meanwhile there is still the River Rea pair at Kings Norton and the River Cole pair.
so 3 very close pairs.
I'll check but I think the highest has been 5 very close pairs.
Great!

I spoke to soon.
Currently only the River Rea, Kings Norton & River Cole pair.
I think the other River Rea Kingfisher were checking the area & might have moved on.

Today along the Harborne stretch of the Bourn Brook ; 2 whitethroats singing , song thrush singing, a very active stock dove, 3-4 blackcaps singing.

On the Selly Oak stretch of the Bourn Brook in the marshy area nr the new road ; 1 whitethroat singing,song thrush singing, male reed bunting , 2 common blue butterflies, a newly fledged robin.

Today along the Harborne stretch of the Bourn Brook ; 2 whitethroats singing , song thrush singing, a very active stock dove, 3-4 blackcaps singing.

On the Selly Oak stretch of the Bourn Brook in the marshy area nr the new road ; 1 whitethroat singing,song thrush singing, male reed bunting , 2 common blue butterflies, a newly fledged robin.

Nice one on the whitethroats.
As I walk past one it flies to the other side.

After the River Cole Kingfisher this morning, the River Rea Kingfisher was even better. 2 tone call right next to me.

The Kingfisher pair on the River Cole.
No Kingfisher on the River Rea, again I expect the nest was flooded.
I thought it might be OK but the water was high.
A Grey Wagtail flew through as did a male Bullfinch.
The Bourn Brook level was high as well.
House Martins and Swifts overhead.

The River Cole Kingfisher this morning.
Then the River Rea Kingfisher this afternoon.
River Rea water levels almost back to usual.

Attachments

• 20190616_180239.jpg
    20190616_180239.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 23
OK, not really ventured over to that part of brum before. Where would be the best place for me to hang about to see the kingfishers? Also is it a nice walk? I'm all about the walking too:)

OK, not really ventured over to that part of brum before. Where would be the best place for me to hang about to see the kingfishers? Also is it a nice walk? I'm all about the walking too:)

I'll send you a PM. Good you got a Kingfisher on the Blythe. This afternoon the Kingfisher on the River Rea at Kings Norton. A family of Jackdaw.

Yesterday, Kingfishers on the River Cole & Rea.
Today again Kingfishers on the River Cole & Rea.
Then at a second River Rea location, I heard the Kingfisher go past & it stopped just after that.

After the River Cole pair of Kingfisher, there was one sat waiting on the River Rea at the second location. It flew off & as I walked along I caught up with it and then there was a pair together.
Later I checked out the fish in the Bourn at Valley Parkway. I thought I would check out the brook further along and much to my surprise I saw a Kingfisher fly off along the brook. Great, six Kingfisher at four locations so far this weekend!

I've still been checking the Bourn Brook but not seen a Kingfisher for approx. 2 months.
Though plenty of fish in the brook.
Yesterday / Saturday, I was stood by the blue bridge when a bird flew over my head and straight up the brook.
I thought it might be a Kingfisher so took a closer look.
Just as I did it was coming back down the brook with a fish and stopped next to me.
Today / Sunday, I checked out the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction.
I could hear a Kingfisher continuously making a single call. It went on for a few minutes.
Maybe a territory dispute.
Then it flew up the river and around my shadow.
After the I went to Babbs Mill Lake and a Kingfisher went along the back down the River Cole.
That was 9 Kingfisher for the weekend at 7 locations.

kingfishers

I've still been checking the Bourn Brook but not seen a Kingfisher for approx. 2 months.
Though plenty of fish in the brook.
Yesterday / Saturday, I was stood by the blue bridge when a bird flew over my head and straight up the brook.
I thought it might be a Kingfisher so took a closer look.
Just as I did it was coming back down the brook with a fish and stopped next to me.
Today / Sunday, I checked out the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction.
I could hear a Kingfisher continuously making a single call. It went on for a few minutes.
Maybe a territory dispute.
Then it flew up the river and around my shadow.
After the I went to Babbs Mill Lake and a Kingfisher went along the back down the River Cole.
That was 9 Kingfisher for the weekend at 7 locations.
Kingfisher yesterday by the blue bridge and fem, grey wag feeding a juvenile on the Selly Oak stretch of the Brook by Aston Webb Boulevard.

Kingfisher yesterday by the blue bridge and fem, grey wag feeding a juvenile on the Selly Oak stretch of the Brook by Aston Webb Boulevard.

Nice one! Yes, today the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was in the Valley past the blue bridge. It has a faint call lol. Third time I've seen it.
Also today, 2 River Rea Kingfisher, at Kings Norton & Ten Acres.
It was a good day!

Yesterday after Trittiford the River Rea Kingfisher was sat on the wall. I knew it had seen me so I got a really bad photo.
Yesterday mid day the Bourn Brook Kingfisher again by the blue bridge, 4th time

I've seen the 2nd pair of Kingfisher a couple times recently. In two different locations. Not sure if they were on a nest break or still looking. Not typical behaviour. Or there's 2 pairs.

Late report from last Monday & Tuesday of the Kingfisher along the River Rea in 2 locations and the Bourn Brook. Bourn Brook now the 6th time but it might have been 2 birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back