• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8X32 (1 Viewer)

dries1

After looking for a new SE 8X32 for a while, I just struck gold from a fellow forum member here, who I won't mention unless he does. He is a true gentleman, a pleasure to communicate with and one I will keep in contact with.
After doing a 16 hour shift on a pipeline job, I came home with two packages on the front stoop. My SE had arrived! The other package I will communicate on later.

WOW I am very impressed with this glass, I brought out my EII BB new 821XXX serial and my 8X32 HGs 201XXX and after filling my feeders took in the view. Only dark eyed juncos and some common sparrows were present. The area behind my split rail fence contains some holly and white pine with needles on the ground surface along with the leaves from nearby oaks and maples. The area is sloped so it provides shelter for birds.

The SE is everything that many here have said it to be, great contrast and detail, It is brighter than my HGs and about the same brightness as the EII - which is the most recent production. I get no kidney beaning with it nor with the EII or the HG. The FOV is similar to the HG which really has a 8 degree FOV. The EII, well over the top here.

The color rendition is slightly different for me in all three glasses, with the SE and EII very similar and the HG having a more pronounced affinity for red. All three suppress glare very well and the area of my backyard will test this very well with light traveling through the branches of the pines.

The SE has the lead with respect to detail slightly over the EII and here the HG lags a bit behind. This may be that it has a flat view whereas the others are porros with a 3D view.

I am new to roof prisms, and have always used porros in the past and used to their grip. With the SE and the EII I can see more texture on debris on the ground or on a bird, not sure if a roof can provide that. I have to say however the HG is from 2002 or 2003, so likely behind in coating technology (lower level of brightness) and compared with other roofs they really do have a flat view, not semi flat but flat.

The SE is built well and even though it and the EII are not waterproof, I work outside and sometimes have to work in the rain, I am not going birding in the rain period- so I will not have to worry about them.

I am still impressed with the HG 8X32, its shape feels natural to me, I believe to this day Nikon has not built a more durable and well constructed roof, yes it is a bit heavy at 715 grams, (compared to the EII 575 grams, and the SE at 630 grams) but after handling heavy porros hensoldts 10X50s and my CJZ 8X50 s it is light.

I am extremely pleased with my new SE and it will provide many years of pleasurable viewing. Both the SE and the EII I feel will be with me for life. I will also keep the hgs since they provide a different view, flat, and under heavy light give me a nice wide FOV with detail. Also for the price these days it is a no brainer.

Have a great day all, I will address in another post today of a used bino purchase which I received...

Andy W.

Last edited:
Fantastic reviews. Sounds like you are building a nice collection. I was looking at that one you just bought off of... I'd be curious to know what you end up paying to get it up to speed. But, it will be money well spent. I'm a Nikon fan too. My best are the SE 8x32's and they always give me the wow feeling.
Aloha,
Dave

Congrats on the SE, I was considering that one, still my favourite binocular, and one I fully intend to get again, why I sold the two I owned baffles me now.

I am new to the Nikon Binos, I have a couple of their older film cameras, F3s and F4s, with some wide angle lens, they IMHO make the best 28mm lens, their optics are at the top of the line, (the better made ones that is). I have had Nikonos cameras for years, and the quality of photos is mind blowing with the 35 mm lens. You can take those cameras anywhere, in any environment.
I looked through a 8X30E not too long ago, and was impressed with it since I had a Zeiss 8X30 porro years ago, so being curious, I researched and am impressed with some of the products that Nikon has produced in
binoculars.
To follow a quote on this forum I read somewhere, something like money being separated from ones wallet when becoming a bino enthusiast.
Super Dave, I have been to the great Island twice, love it sort of reminds me of where I grew up in the US Virgin Islands, but not as humid, loved the ever present cool breeze at elevation.

I am looking really hard at the MHG 8X42 for a low light glass, has a wide FOV but wondering if I should go with the Premier 8X42 lower in Price. A wide FOV is always in my book a better view even if the view is slightly distorted at the edge, but I also want a glass as tough as the original HG line, which has metal surrounding the occulars rarely seen in todays glass.
I am waiting to see if the MHG is made with the QA/QC like the older glass, since I cannot buy a cheaper glass that has a good view but starts falling apart in 6 months.

The hunt continues.

Andy W.

Nikon film cameras

Hello Andy,

Glad to hear you were able to connect with an SE, without going over the pond to get one! Always a good way, if you can find one. They are one of the best, that I have, for sure. Yeah, there are some very nice people here-glad you connected with one!

I also have F3 and F4 cameras too, though I have to say I haven't put a lot of film through either since I bought them. Both are great cameras, no doubt. I also bought a Nikon 28 2.8, I think as one of my first lenses for them, since it crossed over and worked with both (reverse engineering in the F4). No doubt of the quality, and performance. What I really wanted though, was a super wide, like 18 or 20mm, but not for the price they were asking! Then I bought a digital D50 Nikon, and from there on, I have gone digital all the way since. Though I have since only carried a small digital Canon SD on my woods walks with my binoculars. What's not to like about not running out of film, or the cost savings of digital? Take as many pictures as you want, and there is no down side other than it being digital? But I do miss film, none the less.

Anyway, enjoy your SE, and your others too-all have a place where they shine. You may want to check out the Bushnell Legend M 8x42's that are on a great price break on Ebay though, from Rogers Sporting Goods for about $160, they are far and away, certainly a bargain optic deal that holds a far reach beyond their price, no doubt.

Last edited:
Barry,

I have not loaded film for quite a while now myself, perhaps I will use them as paper weights or bookshelf decor.
I am very pleased with my SEs and consider my self lucky to have obtained one and looking forward to viewing in our up coming Delaware Valley winter along with my EII and Hgs.
Regarding the 8X42 format which I am looking to purchase, I am going to use all available $$ toward this purchase since it will be a new product purchase, my other bins have all been bought used, most were mint but used regardless.
I am leaning toward the MHG but still checking on a Premier, formerly LXL 8X42, whose prices have dropped recently and likely will not be produced any longer. So the hunt continues. Regarding the Bushnell 8X42, I will wait to see if it has any production problems down the road, the thought of getting a much anticipated product in the mail ( for a very reasonable price) only to have to send it back because of a production problem is one I have gone through before, so I will wait ion that one, also I really need to sell some of my older military binos, before they all start to collect dust in a closet somewhere.

Andy W.

Andy,

With the introduction of the EDG Nikon began calling the LXL the Premier. The 10x32 version was discontinued at that time. Nikon then began selling the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 as Premiers. After the Monarch HG was introduced Nikon discontinued the Premiers. You can still find information about them in the Nikon binocular archives. There still may be some unsold 8x42 Premiers still lying around in stores or being offered on the internet.

Bob

Last edited:
There is a big down side to digital.
People don't make prints generally and there are no negatives to keep.

I have negatives from 60 years ago that are fine and prints on display that are over one hundred years old.

We won't be here in one hundred years, but neither will the digital images.

I too have gone digital, over 1 million images taken one at a time. But do I look at them. No, unless I have had them printed.
However, I have thousands of film prints and the negatives.

Barry,

I have not loaded film for quite a while now myself, perhaps I will use them as paper weights or bookshelf decor.
I am very pleased with my SEs and consider my self lucky to have obtained one and looking forward to viewing in our up coming Delaware Valley winter along with my EII and Hgs.
Regarding the 8X42 format which I am looking to purchase, I am going to use all available $$ toward this purchase since it will be a new product purchase, my other bins have all been bought used, most were mint but used regardless.
I am leaning toward the MHG but still checking on a Premier, formerly LXL 8X42, whose prices have dropped recently and likely will not be produced any longer. So the hunt continues. Regarding the Bushnell 8X42, I will wait to see if it has any production problems down the road, the thought of getting a much anticipated product in the mail ( for a very reasonable price) only to have to send it back because of a production problem is one I have gone through before, so I will wait ion that one, also I really need to sell some of my older military binos, before they all start to collect dust in a closet somewhere.

Andy W.

OK Andy, though I don't know what production problems you are waiting to hear about before you buy a $160 binocular. The only ones I've read are sporadic focuser reports, but they are few and far between the better reports we've seen here. These might not be the best, but they're darned good, from what I can see. Other more knowlegeable people here seem to think so too-I would and did bank on that-not my opinion for sure. I'm really glad I got the deal being offered, and believe it's not just your average deal either.

I can understand wanting to put all money towards some of the best of the best, but you might be passing on something that you might like a lot, that still has a return privelege, and it is new, not used or refurbished, and costs very little in comparison. The deal here is at a price that is far below average retail, and provides by all reports so far, a better than average performance for its price, by a few fold, it seems. If you want to pass on that, then that's your call, not mine. If your budget is tight now, then I can understand your hesitation completely, but otherwise, not so much.

Since I've had mine, I am hoping to get a deal on the 10x42Bushnell LM's that is close to the performance of this one-though I doubt it will be as good a deal, but 10's usually cost more anyway. I would be happy to have the chance to buy them at a nice discount, only because I really like these Bushnell Legend M 8x42's so well. I'm impressed, though maybe I'm easier to please than yourself. Though I also have the Nikon SE's and EII's to compare them with as well, and these do very well in comparison, even being roofs instead of Porros. Each have their place and usage, depending on weather and applications, but I guess we don't need them all-just what works for us, afterall.

Either way you choose, have a blast and enjoy what you have! The best part is being out in nature, if you are fortunate enough to be there!

Barry,

I may have to look harder at the Bushnell 8X42, anyhow right now I am enjoying the new glass, I spend time in a Nature center about a mile from my house, and am thankful to live in a great area for birds. It is about 1 or two miles from the PA border with Kennett Square, PA.
Re the bushnell 8X42, the price is very tempting, although they will probably sell out soon. I am also waiting on more reviews on the MHGs so I can decide on the MHG8X42 or the LXL 8X42. The MHG is a new glass, perhaps I need to see if any one has used them for an extended period of time.

Nothing against the Bushnell 8X42, I have not seen it or held it, so I cannot evaluate it, just heard some comments re the center focus. That price is the best on the ...y.
Right now I have some optics I will be selling, trying to minimize what I do not use, and any other purchases I make in binos will be keepers and will be used extensively. While I have good eyes, and the energy to walk, observe, and enjoy nature in general I will have good optics for the journey.

Andy W.

Yes and No

There is a big down side to digital.
People don't make prints generally and there are no negatives to keep.

I have negatives from 60 years ago that are fine and prints on display that are over one hundred years old.

We won't be here in one hundred years, but neither will the digital images.

I too have gone digital, over 1 million images taken one at a time. But do I look at them. No, unless I have had them printed.
However, I have thousands of film prints and the negatives.

Yes, well you are right there about no negatives, though there are ways of keeping digital images too. But I understand what you mean. You are lucky to have all your film negatives still. Mine got lost along the way, like most of my belongings in many moves here and there. Digital would have been preferrable, in that they could be retrieved again, if proper steps were taken to store them, of course. But you may be right, about digital not lasting a hundred years, I don't know, for sure. And I'm really not concerned either about it, though others surely would be to pass on to new generations, no doubt that.

When I had hundreds of digital photos I took outback of my apartment, during amazing sunsets mainly. I used to look at them once in a while, just because I could, on my computer, and I really liked that-as some were really nice to gaze at and feel good because nature is nature, and there's no recreating such masterpieces that change and disappear in instances sometimes. Unfortunately, mine were not backed up, and my desktop computer went down a while ago where they were stored. I may have some of them on a usb stick, but I haven't been able to retrieve them as yet-but I haven't tried in a long time either. That should probably be my next project, not binocular hunting!

Thanks for the reminder, Binastro! I sure would love to see your collection of prints, no doubt, but there is no danger in that happening, don't worry-I wouldn't ask because I can't get there, because I don't travel! Treasure them, and preserve them for the ones to follow-they are certainly irreplaceable!

If only binoculars and cameras could be linked together on a mass basis-we would have some great photos if so! Many are the times I wished I could just take that photo that I am seeing through my binoculars-guess that comes with being a photographer first, and binocularist after! ; )

It's a great binocular (the 8x32 SE) but I almost never use mine as I am more comfortable using my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. I've offered the Nikons here a couple times but no serious offers. I'd love to sell them to someone who understands just how good these are optically.

Quote: I've offered the Nikons here a couple times but no serious offers.

I can relate to that, I ended selling a Nikon 10x42 SE for less than I wanted , I had bought a 12x50 SE and the reason I wanted to sell the 10SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back