• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Tele converter (1 Viewer)

monoglypha

OK guys,

Thanks for all the help you have given me to choose a lens and camera body.

Lens 300/f4 Nikon
Body D90 or D300 (to be decided later in the shop)

Just one final thing, it seems that most people are recommending the Nikon 1.4 teleconverter, is this a lot better than other makes i.e sigma and is the 1.4 better than going for a 1.7 to save loosing another f stop

Steve

Hi there again Steve,
A lot of people speak very highly of Kenko
converters, however I only have experience
of the Nikon 1.4 which is stunning! No auto-focus
issues and virtually NO loss of quality.
These two Accentors, Alpine and Hedge are hand-held
with the 300AFS and Nikon 1.4.We really need Steve
(Duke Leto) to talk about the 1.7 as he uses both, but if
he will forgive me for quoting him I think that he thinks the
1.7 is OK in good light but the 1.4 is so good you rarely
take it off.

Best,
Mark

Attachments

• acc5 (Large).jpg
    acc5 (Large).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 96
  • dunny2 (Large).jpg
    dunny2 (Large).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
i've used the nikon 1.7 with the 300 f4 lens, and had no trouble even in bad light.
the green heron was taken in really bad light. but i always use a tripod

Attachments

• green heron.jpg
    green heron.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 96
I actually prefer the Kenko 1.4x (the Pro DGX version, not the MC4) over the TC-14. The TC-14 does have better build quality, but the Kenko will also work with a much broader range of lenses. I use mine on occasion with a Sigma 105mm macro, which the TC-14 won't work with without modifications. Optically, I can't tell the teleconverters apart.

I have a particularly finicky used copy of the 300/4, and mine only seems to work properly with the current Kenko TC I have. More detail on my travails is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2069135&postcount=3. You'll probably be luckier than I am, but mine won't AF at all with the TC-17; it tries, but it's hopeless.

I agree with going with the Nikon 1.4x on a Nikon lens but I wouldn't be getting a D90 or D300 at this time as they are well past their due date. I would look at the 300s or the D7000.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back