• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

End of the trail (1 Viewer)

Joe A.

After parking the car in the garage this afternoon, I walked around to the front of the house where the mailbox is located to pick up the letters, etc. that the postman had left. Mostly bills of course. A small package was laid against my front door so I walked to the door and retrieved it -- a FedX from my employer. As I turned around and retraced my steps back to rear of the house, I noticed a bird on the ground. Turned out to be a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker. It hadn't been dead long -- not stiff enough for that.

The sapsucker is a winter visiter. The last few years we had only one that actually stayed for the duration and regularly fed himself from the small green suet feeder. Loved peanut butter suet. We gave the poor fellow a christian burial near the feeder.

Hope another comes along and takes his place. We really enjoy the visitors.

I'm very sorry to hear this Joe. Do you suppose it was a window strike?

Hopefully, another sapsucker will be feeding at your suet feeder before long.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, too. I sure feel your pain. We just had a sharp-shinned hawk hit our back glass door, and it's so sad to see these beautiful visitors to our yard meet an untimely death. I'll hold a good thought for more sapsuckers at your feeder in the very near future!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back