• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF 200 Club (1 Viewer)

Hi Michael,
True,as do the ferries from Holyhead(see 'Ease of twitching South Stack from Ireland' Hussey 2003)!;)
Harry

Michael Frankis said:
Err . . . don't the ferries from Merseycide go to Dun Laoghaire? ;)

Yep - but I'd drive to Fishguard (Rosslaire) or Swansea - (Cork) for the chance sea birds and cetaceans on the crossing!

Well, having ticked Steve 'Scampo' at the Swithland Reservoir Red-rumped Swallow twitch, yesterday my list has grown by 20% from 5 to 6!

Were then any other BF-ers lurking there unannounced, I wonder?

Notoriously poor field skills on my part obviously meant I missed out on 2 "banker" ticks - Scampo & Adey Baker

I was there from 12:20 to 13:00 - i arrived straight from work without optics so stood around looking lost for a while before a mate arrived with a spare pair of bins!!

Would I have been able to ID you without optics? I would have been easy to pick up - in bright lilac shirt and tie (i`d recently moulted into display plumage - as I had a presentation to perform!)

CJW said:
Congrats on the Scampo, Adey. Good plumage?

Immaculate!

Just like the field guide (his photo that he used to have as his avatar!)

He didn't recognise me - I'd got the same kit as in my mugshot for the Feb competition, including the dog, which should have been a giveaway!

Jasonbirder said:
Notoriously poor field skills on my part obviously meant I missed out on 2 "banker" ticks - Scampo & Adey Baker

I was there from 12:20 to 13:00 - i arrived straight from work without optics so stood around looking lost for a while before a mate arrived with a spare pair of bins!!

Would I have been able to ID you without optics? I would have been easy to pick up - in bright lilac shirt and tie (i`d recently moulted into display plumage - as I had a presentation to perform!)

Just missed you, then - I really shouldn't have done the 'dude' thing and had a bite to eat first!

Glad you got hold of the spare bins - the swallow would have been a tad difficult without!

Anyway, if you want an 'armchair tick' Scampo was the one who was about a foot taller than everyone else!

Adey Baker said:
Anyway, if you want an 'armchair tick' Scampo was the one who was about a foot taller than everyone else!
Hold on, hold on!
If you can't identify them in the field you can't tick 'em.

Chris
BF 200 Club List Police

CJW said:
Hold on, hold on!
If you can't identify them in the field you can't tick 'em.

Chris
BF 200 Club List Police

Well if you can change from 'self-appointed policy executive' to 'BF 200 Club List Police' I don't see any problems with selflessly helping a fellow BFer to get a decent list by bending the rules a bit ;)

Anyway, since when was 'looking it up in the book' afterwards not allowed to 'confirm' a sighting! - I might have to look back thro' some of my old bird records to check on this!

Adey Baker said:
Well if you can change from 'self-appointed policy executive' to 'BF 200 Club List Police' I don't see any problems with selflessly helping a fellow BFer to get a decent list by bending the rules a bit ;)
Just another of the many hats I wear.....

;) This is the problem with BF-member listing, its so competitive that everyone will try all sorts of underhand methods just to get a "tick" and then there are the self-appointed authorities who try to tell you what you can and cannot count and how you can and cannot list.
At the end of the day just enjoy your BF-member spotting and forget about all the politics and one-upmanship, its your BF-member list and count who you want to without worrying what everyone else is doing ;)

I plan on finding a rufous bushchat in my front garden and ticking off the BF visitors. Declaring who you are would be a condution of entry. Its a great plan with just one obvious draw back!

Jane Turner said:
I plan on finding a rufous bushchat in my front garden and ticking off the BF visitors. Declaring who you are would be a condution of entry. Its a great plan with just one obvious draw back!

You could post it on April 1st........

How about the following BF200 listing guidelines -

At Sea : The policy taken by the BF200 Club on records of members seen during pelagic trips or of other vagrants seen 'at sea', is that these are fully acceptable. Though BF members “in the sea” should be given assistance where possible.

Oil Rigs : Birders seen on oil rigs are fully countable, though somewhat unlikely.

Birders seen during ringing sessions: Birders may be added to lists as long as they are unrestrained IE in a wild state.

Birders picked up exhausted or in a moribund state: these can admitted to lists. Snickers bars or strong tea can help in some cases. Birders in an inebriated state can be counted on any list, but not if the observer is in a similar condition due to the unreliability of the observation.

Dead Birders: these cannot be counted on any list!

Calling Birders: In order to minimize disturbance the BF200 Club believes that yelling “Any BF members here?” is not acceptable. Do not disturb these elusive birders. It is illegal to play tapes of interesting sounding birds in order to lure BF members.

Ship Assistance: Ship assistance of vagrants is perfectly acceptable provided that the species involved is likely only to have made use of the ship in order to rest while on normal migration.

Car only Records: Sight records consisting of only an observation of a BF members car cannot be counted without a convincing description of the driver.

Jane Turner said:

You could try the old 'brief sighting of a possible...' routine!

Jasonbirder said:
Ship Assistance: Ship assistance of vagrants is perfectly acceptable provided that the species involved is likely only to have made use of the ship in order to rest while on normal migration.

What if they're seen to be fed on the crossing?

Speaking only from my viewpoint, given the prices of ferry food (and it's poor nutritional value), my tickability will not be 'hampered' (hahaha) by such.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back