• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2018 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Family vacation in beautiful Costa Rica and have enjoyed getting some birding in - and have already spotted 35 species - on our first leg at the Los Sueños Resort, including tons of Macaws and lots of other lifers.

9-11 August

Los Sueños Resort, Herradura, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
298. Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
299. Least Grebe
300. Bare-throated Tiger-Heron
301. Little Blue Heron
302. White-tailed Kite
303. Crane Hawk
304. Common Black Hawk
305. Gray-cowled Wood-Rail
306. Northern Jacana

307. Spotted Sandpiper
308. Willet
309. Inca Dove
310. White-winged Dove
311. Costa Rican Swift
312. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
313. Orange-chinned Parakeet
314. Scarlet Macaw
315. Yellow-bellied Elaenia
316. Dusky-capped Flycatcher

317. Social Flycatcher
318. Rufous-naped Wren
319. Cherrie's Tanager
320. Blue-gray Tanager

Latest Lifer: 758 : Blue-gray Tanager, Los Sueños Resort, Herradura, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, August 2018)

Last edited:
Not done any birding in a while. Got two new ones recently and incidentally in Gijón, Spain a few days ago. No time for proper birding here unfortunately...

507. Yellow-legged Gull
508. Western Cattle Egret

First time to Hawai‘i this past week! With family on Kaua‘i:

351. Hawai‘ian Goose / Nene (lifer)
352. Japanese White-eye
353. White-rumped Shama (lifer)
354. Red Junglefowl (lifer)

355. Red-crested Cardinal
356. Chestnut Munia (lifer)
357. Red-footed Booby (lifer)
358. Great Frigatebird (lifer)

359. White-tailed Tropicbird
360. Wandering Tattler
361. Wedge-tailed Shearwater (lifer)
362. Brown Booby
363. Hawai‘ian Duck / Koloa Maoli (lifer - ABA 600 CLUB)

600 ABA!
Feels a bit like cheating now that Hawai‘i is in the ABA mix, but I can’t ignore such an historic personal milestone. I have so many birds to thank for this achievement - I couldn’t have done it without daily support from my California natives like Valeria, Thrasher, Gnatcatcher, Condor, Quail, Scrub-Jay - I’m sure I’m forgetting someone… SoCal birds, you know who you are. In moments of doubt I had support from the rare likes of Streak-backed Oriole, Western Reef-Heron, and Flame-colored Tanager - FCTA such a star on your own already, you made my list even before WETA! From the very beginning, Black Skimmer you have been my rock, my investigatory beginning, googling images of you late into the night avoiding homework. This journey is not complete without you. Honorable mention to Belted Kingfisher for my report on you in 2nd grade, and of course, none of this could have been possible without dinosaurs, my childhood obsession with them, and my poor parents who had to endure my hundreds of sessions playing dino ID floppy disk games at the public library. MAHALO!!!

364. Hwamei (lifer)
365. Kaua‘i ‘Elepaio (lifer)

366. Common Gallinule (Hawai‘ian subspecies)
367. Hawai‘ian Coot / ‘Alae Ke‘oke‘o (lifer)
368. Red-tailed Tropicbird (lifer)
369. Black Francolin (lifer)
370. Erckel’s Francolin (lifer)
371. ‘Apapane (lifer)
372. ‘I‘iwi (lifer)

373. Pacific Golden-Plover

Notable mention to the Black-necked Stilt Hawai‘ian subspecies.

Last edited:
This evening the nighthawk fall migration began. I always see them migrating over my yard beginning in mid August. Just one tonight, but in a couple of weeks I may see as many as 100.

293. Common Nighthawk

Dave

A morning birding the west side of LA:

374. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (CA lifer)
375. Least Bittern
376. Long-billed Curlew

509. Spotless Starling

Yesterday at Lisbon Airport. Back in Sweden now and hoping to get some birding time this autumn!

Still in Costa Rica and continuing to see great birds...

12-17 August

Portalon del Cielo, Savegre, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
321. Fiery-billed Aracari
322. Yellow-throated Toucan
323. Crimson-fronted Parakeet

Marina Pez Vela, Quepos, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
324. Mangrove Swallow

Biesanz Beach, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
325. Brown Booby

PN Manuel Antonio, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
326. Mangrove Hummingbird

La Parcela restaurante and Cabinas, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
327. Short-billed Pigeon
328. American Oystercatcher

Nauyaca Waterfalls, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
329. Cattle Egret

Latest Lifer: 765 : American Oystercatcher, La Parcela restaurante and Cabinas, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, August 2018)

One new bird this morning brings me up to 294 for the year.

294. Great Horned Owl

This is a tough bird to see, although they can be heard calling from the deep woods from time to time. They’re almost strictly nocturnal and I so seldom see one that it’s virtually impossible to target the species. It’s a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Dave

Finishing up my trip in Costa Rica and really enjoyed birding in the Fortuna / Arenal area.

It was great to have seen 75 species, including many lifers, in my first visit to Costa Rica.

18-20 August

Lost Iguana Resort, Arenal, Costa Rica
330. Red-billed Pigeon
331. Violet-headed Hummingbird
332. Black-cheeked Woodpecker
333. Smoky-brown Woodpecker
334. Clay-colored Thrush
335. Yellow-throated Euphonia
336. Black-striped Sparrow
337. Montezuma Oropendola
338. Scarlet-rumped Cacique
339. Black-cowled Oriole
340. Yellow-tailed Oriole
341. Buff-rumped Warbler
342. Crimson-collared Tanager
343. Palm Tanager
344. Golden-hooded Tanager
345. Scarlet-thighed Dacnis
346. Red-legged Honeycreeper
347. Green Honeycreeper
348. Blue-black Grassquit
349. Variable Seedeater
350. Buff-throated Saltator

Hotel Los Lagos, Arenal, Costa Rica
351. Muscovy Duck

Latest Lifer: 785 : Muscovy Duck (Hotel Los Lagos, Arenal (Costa Rica, August 2018)

I've been waiting for shorebirds to start arriving, and today was my lucky day. I found a sandpiper that is very rare in West Virginia and represented one of the few records for my county.

295. Baird's Sandpiper

It was a Preston County lifer (number 230), my third of the year.

Dave

Two new birds today at Hjälstaviken after work including a long awaited lifer!

510. Red-throated Pipit
511. Lesser White-fronted Goose

I stopped by a local pond this afternoon to see if the heavy rain brought by the remnant of a tropical storm brought anything good. Boy, did it ever! I added three birds to my Year List, including two state/county lifers (*).

297. White-rumped Sandpiper*
298. Pectoral Sandpiper
299. Buff-breasted Sandpiper*

The Buff-breasted Sandpiper was the first record for Preston County.

Dave

Found some unsorted photos from May at the Rieselfelder, Münster (Westf), Germany on another camera body

168 Common Greenshank

This evening I rushed to a local hotspot after a mega rarity was found. I got there just before dark and got my 300th species of the year.

300. Sabine’s Gull

It was a West Virginia state lifer (no. 275), my third in four days.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back