• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade Fat Balls (1 Viewer)

Stephen-Brooks

Hello All,

Can anyone advise me on a good mixture for homemade fat balls?

I was thinking of using the following:

Sunflower Hearts
Crushed Peanuts
Mixed Fruit
Breadcrums/Cake

Regards Stephen

I use an even split between peanut granules, oats and flour. About a cup of each, mixed into a blocks of melted lard to make a gooey mixture that is just about pourable.

I'm sure there's lots of different alternatives, so experiment away until you find something that attracts the birds.

After much experimentation I keep it simple. Sunflower hearts, chopped peanuts and mixed seed stirred into lard softened in the microwave. It vanishes pretty quickly! I wouldn't put anything in that has the potential to go mouldy though, like breadcrumbs or old cake.

These are my first attempts of making homemade fat balls/cake.

Regards

Stephen

Attachments

• Fat Cake.jpg
    Fat Cake.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Fat Balls.jpg
    Fat Balls.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 218
Hmmmmm.....tasty:eat:

My mixture comes out less solid and I pour it into muffin cases, in a cake tray thing. I then slide this into the fridge once they've cooled bit.

I use melted beef dripping or suet add peanut butter then mixed seed robin mix normally,wholemeal flower and cheap oats. the birds can't get enough. They much prefer mine to shop bought although the new peckish ones go down well too.

I used to just put in whatever the birds like - although soggified whole mealworms in lard didn't make me feel so well!

Melt in a 5 litre or bigger sized pan.

1 500g block of beef dripping
1 500g of lard (for a softer consistency and different taste skip the lard and substitute another 500g of beef dripping instead)
1 box of Atora shredded suet
1 jar of crunchy peanut butter.
3 tablespoons of wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon of sugar (birds prefer sweet taste)

Add a equal mixture or variation of any of the following until hard to stir. Using all of the below will be liked by a wide range of birds.

rolled oats
millet
pinhead oatmeal
peanut nibbles
sunflower hearts
sultanas
peanut butter (birds like this)
mealworms
cheerios
redworms

Forget breadcrumbs as there is very little nutrition in.

Only use hulled seeds as husk seeds will be a waste in fat cakes. eg. No sunflower seeds. They cannot be eaten readily along with rest of the suet and grains.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back