• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing small white circle... (1 Viewer)

thisisallen

Was at the beach today and sometimes looking thru the binoculars, Bushnell 10x25 Legend, compact roof prisms, I saw a small white circle - not solid white. What is this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx.
Is it a common occurrence around reflective places like sand or water? Will most binoculars show this?
It looks like it is on the lens.

No. All it takes is $$$$$$$.

But console yourself, no matter how much you spent ... THERE ARE NO PERFECT OPTICS! :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Thx.
Is it a common occurrence around reflective places like sand or water? Will most binoculars show this?
It looks like it is on the lens.
Binoculars, like all optical instruments, are susceptible to various varieties of flare and glare. This will vary with lens coatings, internal blacking and baffling and a number of other aspects of design and manufacture.

As with most things, the more expensive the binocular the less it is likely to suffer from such things - all else being equal. Note, however, that all else seldom is equal. Some designs are more susceptible to certain types of flare, even some quite expensive models. Nonetheless, the general trend holds and higher-spec (and hence higher priced) binoculars will, overall, tend to perform better in this aspect of optical performance and many others.

Do note that many types of flare will be exacerbated if lenses aren't clean. So careful use of proper lens cleaning materials and techniques will help to minimise problems with flare.

...Mike

Looks like WJC and others have you on the right track. A bit of field diagnostics could serve you well if/when it occurs again. Due to humid beach conditions, my first thought was slight condensation on the eyepieces (or, more seriously, inside the body), but I assume eyepiece condensation was the first thing you checked.
Good luck and happy viewing,
Foss

I didn’t see any condensation. Not experienced enough to know how to check it further.

Overall, considering what all you good people have explained about optics, for the amount of money these Bushnell cost they serve my purpose nicely for a compact.

I use them as a bins that I leave in the car so I can always have some to hand, and have been very pleased for the price point.
I have had better that I paid more for, and worse that I paid more for (and less for), but no better at the price or lower.
Its just about getting comfortable with use, and I always spend half an hour or so with new bins, getting everything set up for my eyes, and head size (quite wide between the eyes) just focussing on a fence post at the bottom of the garden. Then when I am comfortable I start looking left and right and up and down on that focus to see what aberrations or flares occur, and see if I can do anything about them.
Its about getting the best out of what you've got, until you buy better bins.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back