• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DBA VHD £100 Cash Back Promotion (1 Viewer)

A very disappointing binocular. I compared it extensively to the Countryman HD and there was very little difference.

The new Imagic is a much better buy.

A very disappointing binocular. I compared it extensively to the Countryman HD and there was very little difference.

The new Imagic is a much better buy.
That's interesting a lot of the reviews Ive read put it in the sub alpha class.

What was it you didn't like, as I have this on my to try list

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

That's interesting a lot of the reviews Ive read put it in the sub alpha class.

What was it you didn't like, as I have this on my to try list

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I thought it was very cheap looking. The view was decent but not great. The Imagic VHD is better.

I thought it was very cheap looking. The view was decent but not great. The Imagic VHD is better.

As a long term user of the DBA VHD I thought I'd better pipe up in its defence.

I've not tried the imagic VHD but Ive owned and used a lot of bins including the alphas and to my eyes the DBA VHD is a very impressive binocular for its price. I prefer it to the Conquest HD for example. I find the view more natural, with much less CA.

Apart from the relatively small FOV it appears to me to be quite close to the very best in view. For some reason it really comes alive for me on dull days where it sparkles and appears razor sharp ,very relaxing and natural to look through. On bright sunny days for some reason I often find it less impressive, preferring to use my Nikon SE's.

I also think I should say something in defense of the DBA VHD as well. I had one for review a while back and just finished the review of the Imagic VHD. I think both the DBA and Imagic are excellent binoculars. A direct side by side is of course not possible, and trying to do it from memory is a fool's errand. However I liked them both a lot.

On a very brief side by side I thought the DBA VHD 8x42 was a fraction sharper than the Imagic VHD. It was swings and roundabouts on the other features though. It was sharper than the Nikon Monarch HG as well.

David

I recently owned the Imagic VHD 8x42s and 10x50s and thought that they were both very good, particularly the 8s. I tried the 8s directly against my Conquest HD 8x42s and found that the Conquests were marginally better, with a slightly brighter and slightly cleaner view, however, the VHDs were not far behind and therefore represent fantastic value for money. I only sold the VHDs because of the narrower field of view - they were otherwise superb. I concur with Petrus' opinion regarding the DBA VHD vs Countryman HD - it was his DBA and my Countryman that he was comparing !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back