• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (5 Viewers)

Can anyone recommend an off the shelf case for these binoculars? I've seen references to other cases - like the Nikon - that folks use, but these aren't generally available on their own. I'm struggling with the size of the supplied case, and the annoying flap.

I got a LowePro Dashpoint 20. Fits like a glove, even with a RYO harness wrapped round it. There might be other compact camera cases that fit it, but this one was fine for me.

I got a LowePro Dashpoint 20. Fits like a glove, even with a RYO harness wrapped round it. There might be other compact camera cases that fit it, but this one was fine for me.

Many thanks - I'll check it out. Wex photo in London seem to have them in stock (the first thing I've been looking for that they actually have available to look at).

Can anyone recommend an off the shelf case for these binoculars? I've seen references to other cases - like the Nikon - that folks use, but these aren't generally available on their own. I'm struggling with the size of the supplied case, and the annoying flap.

The Swarovski field bag for pocket binoculars fits like a glove.

I now have these small Zeiss bins in use since spring this year and they are just blasting away other bins like my zeiss sf and swaro’s
Just an honest impression

Excellent review, replies and comments. Glad to know that they are light and are actually on par with the 8x32 Fls, in at least some important respects. That is a thousand pounds savings right there!

The Zeiss 8x25 is very good, but my 8x30 and 8x32 are easier on the eyes. They have easier eye placement, less eyestrain from having to aligh with a small exit pupil, and wider, more immersive FOVs. After using the Zeiss for a while and then switching to a 8x32 or 8x30 the greater ease of view is immediately noticable.

The optics are great and for a compact bin the ergonomics are very good, but I wouldn't recommend them as your only birding bin.

George

The Zeiss 8x25 is very good, but my 8x30 and 8x32 are easier on the eyes. They have easier eye placement, less eyestrain from having to aligh with a small exit pupil, and wider, more immersive FOVs. After using the Zeiss for a while and then switching to a 8x32 or 8x30 the greater ease of view is immediately noticable.

The optics are great and for a compact bin the ergonomics are very good, but I wouldn't recommend them as your only birding bin.

George

I agree 100%. The performance of the 8x25 is extraordinarily good and of course it folds away neatly. This makes it a great companion for all kinds of purposes but it wouldn't be my choice as my one and only bino.

Lee

I prefer my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV for most birding, but the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket has lead me to retire my Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x20 Ultravid. Yes, the FOV of the 8x32 is slightly larger (420 vs 390 ft at 1000 yds), but I find eye placement less forgiving than with the 8x25 despite the larger exit pupil of the former. I actually find the view through the 8x25 to be more restful. The 8x25 does not have the off-axis astigmatism of the 8x32 FL or its need for perfect eye alignment to achieve high resolution views. Also, I find that the 8x25 has better eye-relief with glasses, that the 8x25 handles back lighting better, and that its oculars don't have to be shaded as carefully to get a contrasty view when used with glasses.

After using the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket in a wide range of conditions and having compared it to many other bins, I consider it to have no competition among 8x20/8x25 bins, to be superior or competitive with many 8x30/8x32 bins, and to be a surprisingly capable substitute for 8x42 bins. With respect to birding capability, its biggest limitations for me are (1) lack of perfectly flat view, and (2) small focus knob is not as quick/easy to operate as the best larger bins, especially with gloves. I'm hoping the design will be tweaked in the future to have a larger focus knob (length and/or width), bigger strap lugs, a more precise diopter adjustment knob, and (if possible) an even flatter view.

For me, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is the most exciting binocular since the Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio and the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV. Like the Pentax Papilio, it is a game-changer, and like the ELSV it is evolutionary to the point of being revolutionary.

--AP

Last edited:
I would say the Pocket is very close to being enough for your sole binocular. I tried it at BirdFiair, and as far as was practicable, compared it to almost all other compacts at the event. I was convinced it was the best available at this moment in history.
I normally travel with a FL 8x32, but thought i'd risk taking only the Pocket on a 6 day trip to Southern Alentejo in Portugal. Admittedly, good light throughout the trip (too much at some points!) and there was no time that i wished i'd brought something bigger.
Its attributes have been well-documented above by Alexis, Lee and others, so i'm not going to go over all them again.
Additional points, however: although the lugs are small, i can see why they are positioned where they are, as - looking down on the bins - the lugs do not protrude any further than the barrels, so this is obviously to assist in packability and not exposing the small lugs to potential damage. I've set up what seems to be a satisfactory way of carrying, by using the Optech loops, connected to small, lockable double S-Biners, onto a RYO harness.
This all wraps up well and fits in a LowePro Dashpoint 20 compact camera case.
If you are persistently birding at dawn (pre-light) and dusk, you may wish for a bigger objective, but for general birding purposes, looking for birds that tend to roost as the light fades, you could certainly use these for everything.
I recently tried them seawatching, and the big FoV, brightness and general sharpness was very, very impressive.
A slightly more positive dioptre based on the FL's 'pull-adjust-lock' system would be my only suggestion for improvement - and with more obvious markings on it!

Forgot to mention:
I am left-handed, and while i questioned their suitability for lefties, i think they are probably designed for us! I've tried using the focus right-handed, but it definitely seems trickier to reach across the asymetrical hinge than to just hook a finger of the left hand over the left barrel.
Also - i tend to use them (as i have explained in a thread elsewhere) with the eyecups down. I don't wear glasses, but much prefer 'hovering' small binoculars in front of my eyes, with elbows locked against my sides, and moving from the waist. I get the full FoV at all times, and don't have to refer to manufacturers' sometimes dubious claims on eye-relief.

Forgot to mention:
I am left-handed, and while i questioned their suitability for lefties, i think they are probably designed for us! I've tried using the focus right-handed, but it definitely seems trickier to reach across the asymetrical hinge than to just hook a finger of the left hand over the left barrel.
Also - i tend to use them (as i have explained in a thread elsewhere) with the eyecups down. I don't wear glasses, but much prefer 'hovering' small binoculars in front of my eyes, with elbows locked against my sides, and moving from the waist. I get the full FoV at all times, and don't have to refer to manufacturers' sometimes dubious claims on eye-relief.

I'm right handed and I actually use my left hand to focus these. I find it very comfortable and intuitive.

I guess I'm going to be a bit of a naysayer here. I just bought a pair, and am going to return them.

My main large glasses are Conquest HD 8x32s and Nikon 8x32SEs. I have a small herd of excellent small porros, the best of which are my Nikon 8x25 Mountaineer IIs and B and L Custom 7x26 v.4's, the last run before they went to the new body style.

The optical performance of the Victory 8x25 really is amazing - they really pop, potentially better than my Conquests (and that is saying a lot), reminding me a bit of the Swaro ELs even.

However, I find these fundamentally flawed from the standpoint of actual usability. I simply can't hold them steady enough to take advantage of their great optics and resolution. This is due to three things, which all combine to a shaky image:
Their small eyecups, which I can only steady on my brow (no other points of steadying);
Their light weight, which provide little resistance to shake; and
Their longer barrels compared to the B and Ls, which have the same eyecup diameter, but have a much shorter distance between the front to back axis of the bins, meaning less movement at the objective from hand shake.

I want to love these but don't. Considering I was looking for a small glass I could one hand with my scope over my shoulder, they just don't work. The Mountaineer IIs are functionally much better and as an aside available NOS on ebay right now for $100 - just not worth the coin.

I will continue to save up for the Swaro 8x32 ELs.

I will also add that I was slightly underwhelmed by their quality. Very intangible, I know, but the Conquests have a higher quality feel - even down to the feel/finish of the rubber, and the depth of the embossing (I know, really weedy here).

Also, as a lefty, the asymmetric hinge/focus worked great. I have small hands though.

You all are making me want this binocular more than I've wanted a specific model in some time. Has anyone who has owned/tried the Victory Compact, by chance, also had a look at the Kowa Genesis 8x22?

You all are making me want this binocular more than I've wanted a specific model in some time. Has anyone who has owned/tried the Victory Compact, by chance, also had a look at the Kowa Genesis 8x22?

The Zeiss 8x25 Victory is IMO the best pocket binocular currently available by a long shot. i also own and use the Swaro 8x25 CL and Leica UV 8x20. i have never used the Kowa 8x22 but you may want to read Michael and Dianne Porter's 2018 review of pocket binoculars which gave resolution scores of 10 out of 10 to Zeiss, Swaro and Leica whereas the Kowa scored "only" 9.6 among the Alpha class pockets.

Sorry about the sketchiness of my memory, but i would say that - if you were just looking and not holding - you wouldn't know the Pocket is a compact.
That from memory was not so true of the Kowa, which i tried briefly at BirdFair some time ago.
The first look through the Pocket was 'Wow!' - the first look through the Kowa was 'Hmmm....' That's what i remember!

Sorry about the sketchiness of my memory, but i would say that - if you were just looking and not holding - you wouldn't know the Pocket is a compact.
That from memory was not so true of the Kowa, which i tried briefly at BirdFair some time ago.
The first look through the Pocket was 'Wow!' - the first look through the Kowa was 'Hmmm....' That's what i remember!

No big deal, I figured it was a long shot to begin with as Kowa bins, despite being one of my personal favorites, are not particularly common. I figured if someone had any thoughts, that'd be better than shooting blind. I owned the 7x42 Victory T*FL at the same times as the 8.5x44 Kowa and I thought both were fairly similar but with different color biases (to my eyes). The Kowa is currently cheaper than the Victory Pocket (thanks Lee!), but I didn't know if it would have that same "replace an 8x30" type quality.

I was really hopeful that my 8x32 Meopta would serve the small, lightweight bino purpose, but it was difficult to make work perfectly with my eyeglasses.
As I primarily bird in the woods/grasslans by sound, just using binos occasionally, I figured these new gens of compacts (e.g. Kowa 8x22, Swaro 8x25, Zeiss 8x25) would work great when I didn't want to lug my full size bins around (e.g. marsh/lake birding, full-time birding). I'm now considering these 8x25s heavily, based on the various reviews (specifically AP's mention w/ regards to glasses and ease of view, something I've always found difficult in anything other than full-sized binos and the 8x32 Swarovision).

Justin

Last edited:
Although my principal binocular is the FL 8x32, i share your liking for the Genesis - both the 44mm and the smaller one. I often thought if anything 'happened' to the FL, that would be the replacement.
However, i think at compact level, Zeiss have won the game - for now.
I'm surprised at how many circumstances they seem to excel at.
For example, i was out on shorepools/beach yesterday, so took them with me, expecting good light and big skies. There was then a call that a Dusky Warbler had turned up about 8 miles away, which involved a winter dusk search around hedgerows and undergrowth. Ok, eventually they surrendered, but not before others had already given up (with bigger sets) and coped very well. Maybe largish oculars and FL glass balance the size issues/EP.

Has anyone, compared, directly the (new model) 8x30 Swarovski Companion CL vs this Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25? I have not been able to locate either in store(s) nearby, otherwise I'd not ask. I'm very interested in a lightweight option to throw on for 2+ hour hikes, and to use when I'm also carrying my ED50 scope. That said, both will likely replace my main binocular outside of dedicated birding trips, due to simple ease of portability/use.

Ease of use, with eyeglasses, has always proved difficult with any of the sub-40mm binos I've tried (excluding the 8x32 Swarovision, which presented far too much glare).

Thanks!
Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back