• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader Photographed in South Africa (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

HI all.
Maybe as the northern hemisphere folk are a lot more familiar with calidris waders, I was wondering on opinions on this bird. My feel in jizz would be little stint, however the lighter appearance and more noticable dark feather centers had me interested in rednecked stint. It was photographed at an inland pan.

Attachments

• Stint.JPG
    Stint.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 255
Never seen these two in full winter plumage, but looking in 'Shorebirds' suggests Little, as the dark feather centres are diffuse, whereas RNS is shown as having a more sharply defined fine black line

Nutcracker said:
Never seen these two in full winter plumage, but looking in 'Shorebirds' suggests Little, as the dark feather centres are diffuse, whereas RNS is shown as having a more sharply defined fine black line
I thought so as well. I checked shorebirds and I would say the more obvious thing is the slightly more "hunch-backed" look of little sting vs the more slender look of rednecked. The only thing that got me excited first was that it was far lighter in appearance than the others it was with. Possibly a bird from the tropics or so - more bleached feathers. Might this also be due to age? Would there be a difference in overall plumage fadig in winter with firsta year adults vs older birds. Might this be an older bird than the group it was with?

Nutcracker said:

Have just typed red necked stint into yahoo search. Clicked on 1. Errrr I don't think so!

John.

doug_newman said:
If you went too the wikipedia link, ummm thoes are not rednecked stints inthe pic they show. Thoes are sand-plovers of a sort.

I've removed the offending pic now! (tho' it'll still be on google's cache of course)

seen big numbers of RNS in winter plumage

for what it's worth they are very very difficult for me to separate except on call!!!

calls are really very different

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
seen big numbers of RNS in winter plumage

for what it's worth they are very very difficult for me to separate except on call!!!

calls are really very different

Tim

Hmmm.... That makes it very difficult for us here in SA. We only get a few of these birds and they are considered a rarity here. They virtuallynever call, so one has to rely solely on giss and feather markings.

I find winter plumage stints really hard... though If I saw this here I'd not be looking much past Little Stint (possibly wrongly!)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back