• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions on these Sand Plovers. Northern Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Hey all,

I photographed these birds a few days ago in north WA. I think that they are Lessers, but confirmation would be appreciated.

In the 2nd, 3rd and 4th image the bird really had a collar in the field, while the other didn't. It also walked with a limp which may explain the different body proportions. I think they are both 'long-billed' Lessers.

Cheers,

D.

Attachments

• Sandplovers 2.jpg
    Sandplovers 2.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 'Collared' Sandplover 2.jpg
    'Collared' Sandplover 2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 'Collared' Sandplover 3.jpg
    'Collared' Sandplover 3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 'Collared' Sandplover.jpg
    'Collared' Sandplover.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 90
The first picture is lesser considering the size of the bill compared to the head length. I would also consider the birds on the other pictures to be lesser, but the bills appear longer indeed, like race schaeferi.

Douwe

Bird on left in pic 3, and two birds on left in pic 4 are Great Knot Calidris tenuirostris

I am not referring to the knots for the longer bills, but the sandplovers on the right of picture 2 and 3 also appear to have longer bills than the birds on picture 1.

Douwe

Hello all,

The long-billed birds in the images are Grey-tailed Tattlers.

Cheers,

D.

Back to the plovers, the more distant images of the non-breeding plumaged birds are tricky, but the right hand bird at least has the heavy-billed, long-legged look of a Greater.

I wouldn't like to make the call though, unless you have closer pics.

Dave

I would be inclined to agree with Dave, that the birds in pictures 2-4 are probably Greater Sand Plovers.
Those in picture 1 are definitely Lesser (Mongolian).

I would say the first photo is two LesserSP
For the others, I would call GreaterSP (there are only two birds shown in pictures 2, 3 and 4 right?)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back