• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration. (2 Viewers)

Barred Wobbler

A couple of weeks ago I noticed when I was using my EL binoculars that the rubber casing on the left barrel felt loose beneath my fingers as if rubber had detached from the barrel. A few days later the rubber at that point developed splits.

The binoculars are only a couple of years old and as far as I’m aware never never received any abuse or exposure to chemicals that might cause the rubber to deteriorate in this way. I’m not in the habit of splashing DEET about near my gear.

Yesterday I was chatting to someone with the same model binoculars and mentioned it to him. He said that the same thing had happened to his, so he sent them in to Swarovski who replaced the casing.

He said that they had given the explanation that they had been forced to change the material used in the rubber to conform with new regulations on biodegradability. Surely not?

A pair of binoculars which have a 10 year warranty (I believe) yet the casing needs to be replaced after only a couple of years?

This is the new Field Pro edition ?
I notice the rubber armor feels a little different on the FP version than the previous version.

This is the new Field Pro edition ?
I notice the rubber armor feels a little different on the FP version than the previous version.
Haven’t a clue, to tell the truth, but could be. I just bought them as a pair of bins and can’t remember the model type. I’m on a trip away from home just now, so I don’t have the full details.

On a similar note I've long wondered what effect the perceived need for "eco glass" has on the many compromises already inherent in the optical design of binoculars. (Obviously there are many other applications where such choices are more easily implemented...)

A couple of weeks ago I noticed when I was using my EL binoculars that the rubber casing on the left barrel felt loose beneath my fingers as if rubber had detached from the barrel. A few days later the rubber at that point developed splits.

The binoculars are only a couple of years old and as far as I’m aware never never received any abuse or exposure to chemicals that might cause the rubber to deteriorate in this way. I’m not in the habit of splashing DEET about near my gear.

Yesterday I was chatting to someone with the same model binoculars and mentioned it to him. He said that the same thing had happened to his, so he sent them in to Swarovski who replaced the casing.

He said that they had given the explanation that they had been forced to change the material used in the rubber to conform with new regulations on biodegradability. Surely not?

A pair of binoculars which have a 10 year warranty (I believe) yet the casing needs to be replaced after only a couple of years?

Your issue is not common, so contact Swarovski, the service dept. will be of help. Let us know what you find out.

Jerry

Hmmmm..

I know this birding guide. We have the same binocular, a SV 8.5X42 FP. He doesn't seem to take care of much of anything and he probably uses THAT binocular almost every day. He literally has zip ties and rubber bands holding the armor on his binocular and the armor is visibly buckling. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I just chalked it up to just him. Maybe not.

I finally got around to contacting Swarovski this morning (I've been too busy with photos since I got back from the trip). I said in my first post they were a couple of years old. That was an estimate. In fact after I checked my records I found they are just over three years old (June 2016).

I've just had an email from them asking me to send the bins back to them for repair, allowing up to 4 weeks.

They give this explanation;

In accordance with its corporate philosophy, Swarovski Optik is committed to using top-quality, sustainable materials in its products. The armoring on the instruments in question is made of plastic (TPU). This material contains no plasticizers or protective agents, is low in allergens, and is biodegradable. As with all our products, we recommend regularly cleaning the surface of the instrument with a mild detergent and a damp cloth.

The particular properties of this material mean that optical changes such as clear abrasion, tears, and cracks may occur in the armoring when the product is subjected to frequent use

Attachments

• IMGL2522-800web.jpg
    IMGL2522-800web.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited:
wow that looks bad and after only 3 years of regular use. If it happened to me I'd probably ask them to just remove the armor and adhesive underneath (if any) and don't bother to replace it since they're saying it's gonna happen again anyway with frequent use. I'd just go with a metal binocular (no armor) and take good care of it ... but that's me.

Hi BW,

That’s an interesting photograph!

From the appearance of the binoculars:
A) The wear to the edges of the exposed magnesium is the same as on other EL’s that have had heavy use
It’s consistent with rubbing/ friction from handling (and perhaps aggravated by wearing coarse textured gloves?)

B) And the smoothing of the texture on parts of the RA is also consistent with this

C) However, other wear on the RA is clearly from sharp edged pressure (and in places it extends from the RA across the magnesium)
And there is also clearly the effects of scratching/ scoring at various places, including on the inboard portion of the left barrel near the torn area

D) Finally, the tearing seems to be the result of an extreme form of C)

Obviously individuals treat their gear with varying degrees of care. However if just shown the photo and told that it was a 3 year old unit,
my first thought would be that it spent much of it’s time in a bag along with other items, sliding and bouncing around in the back of a vehicle

As to ‘They've had a lot of use . . . but no abuse’, will Swarovski see it that way?
- at worst you’ll have to pay for the RA replacement

John

Last edited:
Hi BW,

A) The wear to the edges of the exposed magnesium is the same as on other EL’s that have had heavy use
It’s consistent with rubbing/ friction from handling (and perhaps aggravated by wearing coarse textured gloves?)

B) And the smoothing of the texture on parts of the RA is also consistent with this

C) However, other wear on the RA is clearly from sharp edged pressure (and in places it extends from the RA across the magnesium)
And there is also clearly the effects of scratching/ scoring at various places, including on the inboard portion of the left barrel near the torn area

Obviously individuals treat their gear with varying degrees of care. However if just shown the photo and told that it was a 3 year old unit,
my first thought would be that it spent much of it’s time in a bag along with other items, sliding and bouncing around in the back of a vehicle

As to ‘They've had a lot of use . . . but no abuse’, will Swarovski see it that way?

John

I agree John. In the region of the damaged armour there are at least 3 impacts of a short and penetrating kind visible. It wouldn't be surprising if the splits in the armour are obscuring similar impacts.

Lee

... Obviously individuals treat their gear with varying degrees of care. However if just shown the photo and told that it was a 3 year old unit,

John

This is what I was 'hinting' at. It is certainly pretty 'heavy use' for a 3 year-old instrument. I have a 15 year-old 8x32EL which has had heavy use but looks nothing like these!

RB

Hi BW,

John
And you'd be wrong on all counts.

The underside of the binoculars, the side that rubs against clothing and other stuff is almost like new. I've just been photgraphing it. I've noticed also that the right hand barrel is starting to go the same way. One of the cracks on the left barrel is on the inside of the barrel in an area that comes into contact with nothing, yet it's expanded, come loose and cracked. The cracks (or tears) appeared only in early September a few days after I noticed that the plastic was feeling loose under my fingers. During that time I was in Spain on raptor migration. I sat in the side of my vehicle awaiting birds with my camera, the binoculars lay on the adjacent seat, occasionally picked up to identify aprroaching birds, before being put back down. At the end of each day they were carried from the car to the cottage and placed on a table. No impact, no piercing.

The side that routinely faces the sunlight has deteriorated. The side that lies in the shade and rubs against my body has not.

When I'm out with them I'm wearing them, otherwise they lie on the upholstery of the passenger seat alongside me - never 'bouncing about in a bag on the back seat'.

If anything these binoculars have had lighter used than my previous ones.

I've spent the morning doing some statistics.

The binoculars that these replaced were a pair of Opticron DBAs that I bought for myself as a birthday present in 2000. After over 12 years of heavier use than these Swarovskis, the rubber armour was starting to show its age and I had it replaced. It looked a bit like the armour on this pair, but worn on the underside also, and in black rather than green.

I used those binoculars until June 2016 when I bought the Swaros and gave the Opticrons to my son.

I've been looking at my usage over the past years going back to 2015, when I was using the Opticrons, and before the welcome arrival of a grandchild who is partly the reason I have less time birding these days. The other is an incrreasing lack of enthusiasm. I don't keep a record of my birding trips, but I rarely go out without taking photos of the birds, my main aim these days, so I do have a record of every photo.

Some numbers:

In 2015 I was in the UK for 307 days. Of these I was out with my bins (Opticron) and camera on 103 days, ie 33.6% of the available days. I would say that this was fairly representative of the previous years, although maybe on the low side, between 2004 and 2016.

In 2016 I was in the UK for 307 days. I was out taking photos on 62 of them (the grandchild effect), or only 20.2% of the available time. 5 months of that time was spent with the Opticrons 25 days out of 115, at a rate of 21.7% of the available time. I used the Swarovski's on only 37 of the remaining 192 days that year, (19.3%).

In 2017 I was in the UK for 328 days and birded on 78 of them, (23.8%).

In 2018 I was in the UK for 312 days and birded 56 of them (17.9%).

Now we have just completed 9 months of 2019. I've been in the UK 221 days and birded only 31 of them (14.0%).

So all in all I had over 12 years use with my old Opticrons, cost about £550 before they needed new armour and they were in use for something over 33% of the days I was in the UK, based on 2015 usage.

Since I've had the Swarovskis I've been in the UK 1,053 days and used them on 199 of them. Only 18.9 % on average from June 2016 to today.

And I've been treating them like a baby. After all they cost 2,000 quid, a lot of money, not the £550 of the Opticrons whose armour lasted 4 times as long.

Last edited:
In accordance with its corporate philosophy, Swarovski Optik is committed to using top-quality, sustainable materials in its products. The armoring on the instruments in question is made of plastic (TPU). This material contains no plasticizers or protective agents, is low in allergens, and is biodegradable.
I suspect that you're correct in guessing that sunlight is largely responsible for this deterioration, and will be careful with my Swaros in the bright Colorado sun. Plastic armor covering a long-lasting (and expensive) metal binocular from which it won't normally be separated has to be "biodegradable"? That's absurd, and obviously counterproductive.

And still my Swaro box must bear a sticker saying: "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." One just can't win.

It looks like the armor on the Field pros may have had a bad batch/mixture, sort of what happened to the IS Canons a while back ( rubber armor deterioration). I am sure that if replaced and it happened again, then it might need further explaining.
Here is another issue I had a friend who played tennis and his tennis racket handle always deteriorated quicker than his wife's, it turns out his pH of his sweat was slightly more acidic.

Andy W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back