• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

***New*** nikon D70 digiSLR! (1 Viewer)

I saw that last week, doesn't seem to be any mention of ccd resolution....I'd guess the same 6mp as the D100.
Let's hope it's a carefully thought out response to the Canon 300d, and not a 'rush job'.

There is some discussion, though, that this might be another hoax. I am sure Nikon will respond though, if it is a hoax, because they do not want their market share deleted any more.

hoax?

i am VERY sure that this is not an hoax, because nikon-europe announced this news on 3 december (for more info see www.nikon-euro.com, on the dutch page!!!)
Before that announcement for the last month a few rumours were spreading about this new camera, especially in the netherlands.
I looked on the nikon-UK-support-page and to my surprise was there no
info on the D70. on the pages of other countries e.g. france, germany, belgium etc) there was NO info about the d70!
Maybe it's a strategic move of nikon in The Netherlands,
and so outmarketing the canon 300D-SLR. (especially before the big "sinterklaas" (our dutch gift-party) and christmas-gift spendings!)
But it is really true, see also www.nikon-d70.nl for more info!
greets!

martijn

Anybody tried the new Minolta Z1. at the moment using
Nikon coolpix 775. I have always used Minolta 35mm kit
so I fancy the spec on this. Any idea`s
bert. ps. best price to date £259.

I had been looking at the Canon 300D but, have decided to hang on for the Nikon as I much prefer them. I've been unable to find any more info than the press release and a probable £800 body price. Has anybody seen anything else?

This is a real new model being introduced by Nikon, though it may be a few months before it's available, at least in the U.S. Obviously, for several hundred dollars less than the D100 it will not be quite as sturdy or full-featured, but users will have to decide whether the package meets their needs, just as Canon users have to examine the Digital Rebel in this light.

As for the competitive thing, I have seen in my time way, WAY too many Nikon vs. Canon flame wars. Not that this forum is prone to flaming, but people do have strong feelings about the topic and there's always that danger. I think that no matter what camera(s) we use, we should hope that both companies (and others?) continue to thrive, so that there is healthy competition in terms of both quality and price.

I tend to think that the availability of an affordable digital SLR will be crucial to persuading people to adopt a given marque. Certainly Canon seem to be producing the goods.

Hopefully this announcement shows a genuine intention on the part of Nikon to introduce an answer to the D300 earlier this year, rather than simply making an announcement to keep customers, and then announcing 'pre-planned' delays.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3-4MP though. (Yes I am a cynic!)

I wonder how long it will be before a Nikon mount ~6MP digital SLR with a metal body will be at the ~£800 price? Maybe in a year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back