• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino-scoping (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Yo all, just spent 2 weeks birding in NE Bulgaria (will try and post report next week) and a wonderful holiday it was, lots of good birds. One afternoon whilst slowly driving down very minor road near Cape Kaliakra came across a Roller perched on fence post. Took no notice when we stopped car (and engine) to watch him. Wifey suggested I try to get a photo, only have a 5mp Olympus digi with a 3 x zoom so image was miniscule.

Thought I'd try to improve things by photographing thro my bino's, they are Nikon 8 x 42 HGls and the soft rubber eye cups pull well out and much to my suprise fitted snugly around the camera lense barrel and allowed sufficient room to zoom the lense out to cut out vignetting. Chuffed with results, not brill I know but makes a nice desktop.

Anyone else had acceptable results using this or similar methods?

Stewart

:hi:

Attachments

• Roller 1.jpg
    Roller 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Roller 2.jpg
    Roller 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Hello Stewart
Fabulous photos! I've had a go at doing this from home, but find that the digital camera keeps switching off, just when a bird arrives! Haven't had much luck so far, but will keep trying, having seen yours!
Mary

Stewart J. said:
Yo all, just spent 2 weeks birding in NE Bulgaria (will try and post report next week) and a wonderful holiday it was, lots of good birds. One afternoon whilst slowly driving down very minor road near Cape Kaliakra came across a Roller perched on fence post. Took no notice when we stopped car (and engine) to watch him. Wifey suggested I try to get a photo, only have a 5mp Olympus digi with a 3 x zoom so image was miniscule.

Thought I'd try to improve things by photographing thro my bino's, they are Nikon 8 x 42 HGls and the soft rubber eye cups pull well out and much to my suprise fitted snugly around the camera lense barrel and allowed sufficient room to zoom the lense out to cut out vignetting. Chuffed with results, not brill I know but makes a nice desktop.

Anyone else had acceptable results using this or similar methods?

Stewart

:hi:

Nice photos.

It depends what you call acceptable. These:

http://philip.fotoblog.me.uk/c334391.html

are some snaps I've taken by holding an Olympus C120 (2 mp) up to the telescope eyepiece. If there's any kind of movement quality deteriorates instantly, but some are passable for my purposes (record only).

What a great idea! I would love to have a quality binocular/digital camera, but even if I had the money, I wouldn't know what brand to decide on.

Mary said:
Hello Stewart
Fabulous photos! I've had a go at doing this from home, but find that the digital camera keeps switching off, just when a bird arrives! Haven't had much luck so far, but will keep trying, having seen yours!
Mary

Hi Mary, on my camera if you press the button in half way it 'reactivates' it so you can keep the camera from turning off

Yes Stewart i've done this at times as well though i wouldn't make any claims as to the standard of my pictures (!) ...seems to me much easier than trying to do it through a scope. Good photo :t:

fantastic effort stewart, not bad at all.

been doing abit of bino-scoping myself now and again, sometimes i just cant get the focus right, but you can still get a half decent image.

i use a samsung mobile with 1m pixel camera, held to my leica ultravids.

Attachments

• fox shot from walker side of tyne.JPG
    fox shot from walker side of tyne.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 93
  • grey squirrel.JPG
    grey squirrel.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 112
Stewart J. said:
Praise indeed, when you off mate?

Stewart

PS Had 160+ species (no checklist with us so had to keep a roliing count)

B :)
We're not going back to Bulgaria this year, but are doing South Africa in November. Seems like forever away!

If taking pictures with a digital camera through a telescope is called digiscoping, then this technique must be called digibinning but not to be confused with the act of throwing your binnies into the bin when you have failed to see something!!!!

LOL I've been tempted many times in the past Colin ;) And take up knitting or embroidery or some other suitably 'girlie' hobby ;)

Great pic of a stunning bird......I NEED to see one of those!!! WOW!!!!!! :clap:

Gill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back