• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

Have got speaking to Louth SPCA inspector. They will be taking some sort of action tomorrow. Hopefully a prosecution will follow. I have never seen such cruelty to animals before !!

gareth2005 said:
Have got speaking to Louth SPCA inspector. They will be taking some sort of action tomorrow. Hopefully a prosecution will follow. I have never seen such cruelty to animals before !!
I'm not particularly familiar with that area Gareth. We did see some fields of deer between Mulahattin and the Dundalk/Greenore road during the summer and they looked ok from a distance at that stage. Lets hope that the SPCA take action quickly, it sounds like a pretty horrible set up.

Derek Watters said:
Hi all and welcome Jimmy C. Unfortunately I missed the Spirit Store meet last week as I was abroad. While in Warrenpoint on Saturday evening I noted large numbers of crows flying SW towards the wood at the Park Hotel. They came from North of Carlingford Lough - from the Mournes beyond Rostrevor and also from the Carlingford / Omeath direction. I counted over 1,400 while I watched but I'd say there were many more. There seemed to be no movements from West to East (i.e. from Newry etc).
While near Grange, Cooley yesterday evening I noted crows gathering and flying WNW in the direction of Omeath. I can only assume that they were heading to the above mentioned roost - some 9 miles away.
Where are there other large roosts in Louth - it would be a good way of estimating crow numbers in the area.
QUOTE]
On my way home this evening a large number of crows flew across the Boyne river. I pulled in and watched as huge numbers of crows flocked around, there had to be a couple of thousand, the sky was filled with them when I stood at the river and looked North towards Baltray. I watched to see where they would go but they kept flying around for about 5 to 10 minutes. At one point during that time there was a loud whoosh from the trees beside me and possibly a hundred crows all flew out of the trees together. The numbers got smaller and I assume that they landed in the trees at Queensboro. It was quite a sight and I will check there again at the same time to see if this is a daily occurance, it was dusk - about 5:30pm.
Was in Wexford over the week-end, weather disappointing on Saturday, really poor visability but Sunday and Monday better. Saw the Velvet Scoters at the North Slobs.

Attachments

• Velvet Scoters North Slobs Wexford 2A.JPG
    Velvet Scoters North Slobs Wexford 2A.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 123
Weather similarly aweful in west cork...still yellow-browed warbler, american golden plover, lesser yellowlegs, ring bill gull, hen harrier, though a bad dip on a red breasted flycatcher...ouch!

In the meantime a white-rumped sandpiper was reported at the mouth of the Fane viewable from the Blackrock side on Sunday and Monday, might be still around.

Forsters tern still at Cruisetown today, showing very well. Quiet week apart from that. Highlight of last weekend was finding a black redstart in Co Wexford.

ardnasx1 said:
Forsters tern still at Cruisetown today, showing very well. Quiet week apart from that. Highlight of last weekend was finding a black redstart in Co Wexford.
sandra could tell me where cruisetown is.also saw 8 egrets at seabank lunchtime today.this is the time i haved used this site regards peter

PJR said:
sandra could tell me where cruisetown is.also saw 8 egrets at seabank lunchtime today.this is the time i haved used this site regards peter
Hi Peter, welcome to this thread. 8 little egrets was a great number to see at Seabank, I've never seen that many there.

Cruisetown strand runs between Dunany and Clogherhead, it is also known locally as the Big Strand. It's the area where the road runs right along the sea. The area where the forsters tern hangs around is the Clogherhead end where a channel runs out and there are normally gulls there. Are you familiar with that area? If you're not I can give you detailed directions.

Last edited:
a couple of pics from rosscarberry,co. cork from last weekend,of a lesser yellowlegs & american golden plover.weather was terrible but not a bad weekend overall

Attachments

• 9995(3).jpg
    9995(3).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 9929(2).jpg
    9929(2).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 127
Lurgangreen this afternoon showed plenty of greylags and some brent geese, couldn't see any whitefronted geese or whooper swans this time though. Saw one ruff among the plentiful waders and the only other thing of note was a good number of pintails.

black throated diver showed quite well off cruisetown both this morning & afternoon. no sign of the forsters.a number of scaup and unusually a shoveler was mixed in with the scoter flock offshore.a merlin also on the fence at cruisetown. heard of an eider between cruisetown &clogherhead where a chiffchaff was also noted in a hedgerow

Black-throated diver showed also on Monday, too far out for photography. Yesterday at balaggan point a merlin flew in from the sea, landed about 10 yards away and started preening - plumage in poor condition but it perked up after about 20 minutes and later i distantly saw that it had caught something...also saw a flash of a hen harrier, third time in the area in the last 10 days.

Later twitched little stint and white rump sandpiper at belfast reserve - both showing well (water levels are down). After that searched for goosander at larne but no joy - tide was too far out. However several long tailed ducks and a possible vevet scoter (with a large flock of eider) off carrickfergus made up.

Attachments

• merlin balaggan nov 06.jpg
    merlin balaggan nov 06.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 134
  • hen harrier departing cooley.jpg
    hen harrier departing cooley.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Tried Cruisetown 3 lunchtimes this week looking for the black throated diver but had no luck. Saw a pair of slavonian grebes in among the scoters today though. Huge numbers of birds out there at the moment.

Birding The Gambia - A Talk and Slide Show

On Monday the 20th of November '06 Lorraine Benson will give a talk and slide show about a birding trip to The Gambia in West Africa at the Spirit Store. The Gambia is one of the most accessible and affordable countries in west Africa - it also boasts over 500 species of bird. The talk will cover the birds seen on the group trip as well as some practical information on getting there (but will be interesting even if you never plan to go!).

The talk will start about 7:00pm.

Admission free - any contributions welcome.

Last edited:
MargaretM said:
Derek Watters said:
Where are there other large roosts in Louth - it would be a good way of estimating crow numbers in the area.
QUOTE]
On my way home this evening a large number of crows flew across the Boyne river. I pulled in and watched as huge numbers of crows flocked around, there had to be a couple of thousand, the sky was filled with them when I stood at the river and looked North towards Baltray. I watched to see where they would go but they kept flying around for about 5 to 10 minutes. At one point during that time there was a loud whoosh from the trees beside me and possibly a hundred crows all flew out of the trees together. The numbers got smaller and I assume that they landed in the trees at Queensboro. It was quite a sight and I will check there again at the same time to see if this is a daily occurance, it was dusk - about 5:30pm.
Have been checking at Baltray most evenings and this is a large roost of crows. Tommy, Sandra and myself agree that there is certainly in excess of 5,000 in this roost at Baltray. Pity that its more or less dark by the time they fly across the river so its difficult to assess the numbers.

good day today ,forsters tern & 2 velvet scoter at cruisetown with this green wing teal also at Dundalk harbour,have also heard of barnacle & a pink footed goose with the greylag flock at Dromiskin

Attachments

• gwt4.jpg
    gwt4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 113
Good day out indeed, also saw the velvet scoters and the green winged teal. Good numbers of red throated divers off Hermitage, some in summer plumage. Two slavonian grebes there too.

Quick trip to Cruisetown today, couldn't find the velvet scoters (but that's not to say they weren't there). Saw 6 slavonian grebes together.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back