• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

There was a pair of shovelers on Beaulieu pond today. Last year the first pair I saw there was on 17th Feb, almost a year to the day. They were only there briefly in Feb last year, and then 2 pairs for a while in March. The heronry is a busy place at the moment, the herons have paired up and started fixing up their nests, always a nice time of year in there.

Attachments

• shoveler beaulieu 160207.JPG
    shoveler beaulieu 160207.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 127
  • shoveler2 beaulieu 160207.JPG
    shoveler2 beaulieu 160207.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 119
  • herons beaulieu 160207.JPG
    herons beaulieu 160207.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 128
fredbern said:
I would be delighted if we took a walk or two along the river. A bit early in the season yet but let's pencil that one in the diaries for later on. I still have your mobile number so I will contact you. If Margaret and Sandra are interested it might be a good idea to stake ourselves out along a stretch of the river and that way cover more ground.
Sounds good to me Freddie. Tommy would also be interested in coming along.
Saw those Shovelers in Beaulieu this evening, they were still there at sunset so hopefully they will be around tomorrow, so I might get better photos than I did this evening.
Hi Gerry k, great to have a new person on this thread, what a great experience with the owls .... roll on the summer evenings!!

Last edited:
62 pink footed geese at Lurgangreen (per Paul Kelly) today i think might be the biggest flock ever recorded in Ireland. the previous best was from cruisetown and was 50 something

Enda said:
62 pink footed geese at Lurgangreen (per Paul Kelly) today i think might be the biggest flock ever recorded in Ireland. the previous best was from cruisetown and was 50 something
I was at Lurgangreen this afternoon, counted 30+ pink footed geese but unfortunately hadn't the time to do a thorough count (Paul arrived as I was leaving). There were 2 barnacles there too and a nice few white fronted. 2 dark bellied in with the brent.

Long billed dowitcher is still on show at Dundalk Docks but some people seem to miss it - at low tide you have to walk along the metal fence towards the bridge - bird tends to hang out just out of view from the quay wall at the waterline.

As previously mentioned, Steve Newton, from BWI, will come and give a talk and slide show on seabirds at the Spirit Store tomorrow evening, Monday 19th, at 8pm - all are welcome!

The Shovelers were showing well at Beaulieu on Saturday. It was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine, there were also Little Grebes, Mute Swans, Moorhens (some displaying), Little Egrets and Herons. Beautiful sunset at Hermitage.
Eventually saw the long tailed ducks at Salterstown today, though they were too far out for decent photos.

Attachments

• tn_Sunset at Hermitage 2007 6.JPG
    tn_Sunset at Hermitage 2007 6.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 127
  • tn_Little Grebe at Beaulieu 2007 8.JPG
    tn_Little Grebe at Beaulieu 2007 8.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 106
  • tn_Moorhen Displaying in Beaulieu 2007 1A.jpg
    tn_Moorhen Displaying in Beaulieu 2007 1A.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 128
  • tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 27.JPG
    tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 27.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 118
  • tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 59.JPG
    tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 59.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 107
Eventually saw the long tailed ducks at Salterstown today, though they were too far out for decent photos.[/QUOTE]

Hi Margaret,

I was at Salterstown a little earlier and the LTDs were fairly close - near enough to digiscope but forgot my camera attachments this morning!! On my way back I called into Annagassan and had a beautifully marked buzzard and a grey heron sharing the same branch of a tree! A first for me I have to say.

Was speaking to Gerry K today who told me of a definite barn owl sighting in the last week. More info to follow.

One of three dark bellied brent geese present today at lurgangreen.no sign of the pink feet till 4pm

Attachments

• kicx1457 (4).jpg
    kicx1457 (4).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 111
Enda said:
One of three dark bellied brent geese present today at lurgangreen.no sign of the pink feet till 4pm
WHAT I MEANT WAS NO SIGN OF THE THE PINK FEET WHILE I WAS THERE UP TO 4PM IT PROBALY CAME ACROSS AS THE BIRDS FLEW IN AT 4PM,SORRY ABOUT THAT

Great turnout for Steve Newton's talk last night, interesting talk.

There was a pintail in Beaulieu pond for a while today, first time I've seen one in there. No sign of the shovelers.

We had to improve our promotional effort a bit!

Had a pair of ravens in the "garden" today - there is a dead sheep in the field next door - at one point there was a buzzard, three grey crows and three magpies - though amazingly canny - could not get a photo without spooking them! I believe that such groupings are called guilds?

Was meaning to get to the talk in the Spirit Store for once to put faces to the names but am stuck down the country working. Hopefully i'll make the next one !

Last edited:
Derek Watters said:
Gareth. Apologies for the delay in coming back with prices. I checked my receipt for Jolleys Newry - I got sunflower seed and peanuts - one was £1.19/kg and other £1.49/kg - roughly €1.80 and €2.25 per kg. Problem is the receipt dosn't show which is which!

East Coast Town & Country Stores in Drogheda are selling 25kg bags of Peanuts @ €38.50 (€1.54 per kg) and Wild Bird Mixture @ €20 (€0.80 per kg). They are in Newgrange Business Park, its a bit too far South for a lot of people. If I hear of of any other place selling at good value, I'll post it here.

MargaretM said:
East Coast Town & Country Stores in Drogheda are selling 25kg bags of Peanuts @ €38.50 (€1.54 per kg) and Wild Bird Mixture @ €20 (€0.80 per kg). They are in Newgrange Business Park, its a bit too far South for a lot of people. If I hear of of any other place selling at good value, I'll post it here.
ardee pet supplies has wild bird seed at 1.50 per1kg 4.00 per 3kg and 20.00 per 25kg, peanuts at 5.00 per 3kg 38.00 per25kg and sun flower seed at 5.00 per3kg, they are located in a small business park opposite the community school.

gerry k said:
ardee pet supplies has wild bird seed at 1.50 per1kg 4.00 per 3kg and 20.00 per 25kg, peanuts at 5.00 per 3kg 38.00 per25kg and sun flower seed at 5.00 per3kg, they are located in a small business park opposite the community school.

Thanks Gerry,

I live in Ardee and did not know the shop was there. Cheap and handy!

Peter Phillips

Looked at some of the lakes around Castleblaney last week. Heavy cloud prevented a decent look. Lough Muckno looks good and there is very good access around much of the shore line. Some shooters and boats around so the birds may be wary. I am heading up there next tuesday so will keep you all posted.

Peter

Quiet day out today, the LB Dowitcher was showing well at Dundalk Quay this afternoon.

Attachments

• tn_Dowitcher LB Dundalk Quay 20.JPG
    tn_Dowitcher LB Dundalk Quay 20.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 144
ardnasx1 said:
3 slav grebes at Lurgangreen this afternoon.

Super photo of the LBD Sandra.

Has a great view of a barn owl midweek. I was driving home from Dundalk along the N1 (old main road pre M1) and the owl flew directly across the road in front of me, at what was known as the Marsh Farm. It's the red bricked farm house and out buildings just before the lorry place on the left hand side driving south.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back