• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Some junk photos but at least you can tell what they are I suppose:-O. Now it's time for a pint of Somerset Cider (or two!)B :)

Attachments

• IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 102
Grabbed a couple of hours birding with a mate before today's game. Apart from forgetting my memory card and missing out on some easy shots everything went well. For once, everything was where we'd hoped it would be. At the Knapp the Glaucous Gull was showing very well (an early candidate for bird of the year:t:). Initially located along the beach by the car park and then on the pond itself. Stood out like a sore thumb amongst the LBBG's. A Mediterranean Gull was also present amongst the BHG's.

124. Glaucous Gull
125. Mediterranean Gull

From here it was on to Cosmeston. And within 3 feet of the bank on the East Lake was the Lesser Scaup.

126. Lesser Scaup

Next it was on to Penarth Marina. I'd read on the Glamorgan Birds Website that Plas Taliesin was a good place for Black Redstarts during the Winter. It's been years since I've seen a Black Redstart in the UK so we thought it was worth a try. Sure enough there was a handsome male on top a roof. Looking stunningly handsome in the Winter sunshine:t:

127. Black Redstart.

Rich

Went down to Penclacwydd this morning with the boys and Kev. Female Goldeneye present along with the usual Greenshanks, Lapwings, Curlews, Siskins, Reed Buntings etc. Out on the marsh though we had cracking scoped views of a male Merlin perched upon some driftwood.:t::t:

128. Merlin

Took my brother's dog for a walk down Rhossili. She does a great impression of a mini Wookiee:-O. Didn't get the hoped for Chough but had fantastic views of Ravens. Added to the year list were:

129. Fulmar
130. Kittiwake
131. Common Scoters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 103
Had a cracking couple of hours with my old man and brother's dog at Rhosilli today. The weather was absolutely gorgeous for a change:t:

Didn't get the hope for Chough but the supporting cast wasn't too bad. A few rafts of Common Scoters were out in the bay and a female Kestrel seemed to follow us most of the way around our walk. (She even photo-bombed one of the shots I took of my father:-O). The male only appearing as we came back to the car park. A Peregrine was also good to see along with stunning views of the resident Ravens.

Near worm's head, whilst scanning the water, there were several GCG's dotted about and something which looked significantly different. As I'd left the scope in the car the little SX50 came into it's own. Despite a huge distance between us and the bird we were able to positively ID a RTD. As we walked further round toward the look out point it came a little closer so a very slightly better photo was taken:t:. It was also at this point that another diver species was picked out. This one had the decency to come a lot closer:-O. It's been a while since the old man has seen a Great Northern Diver in Wales so he was more than happy. To top it all off, the hound was immaculately behaved:bounce:

132. Red Throated Diver

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Had a cracking (very comfortable) session birding yesterday with a mate. Spent a few hours in the Beacons looking for Birds of Prey. Nothing new to add to the list as like last weekend I couldn't get enough on the bird to confirm it was a Goshawk. We also had a bird that certainly sounded like a Goshawk (the same as the Collins App:eek!:) but it did not come into view:-C

Several Common Buzzards were seen along with a few Red Kites. Dipped on the GGS (again!!) but had a good view of a Green Woodpecker. A couple of Ravens were displaying around us as well making that amazing croaking sound. They were so close at some stages we could clearly hear their wings beating:t:

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 127
Finally had a new year tick today. Went with my 5 year old up to the Beacons and had a great morning. Pretty certain I had a brief glimpse of the over-wintering Great Grey Shrike at Garwnant. At the same location were Mistle Thrushes, Common Buzzards, Grey Wagtails, Green Woodpeckers and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. The hoped for Willow Tit did not materialise however.

From here it was a short drive to another location. Somewhere where I've been lucky enough to see Goshawk in the past at this time of the year. Sure enough, there was a fantastic male displaying. My 5 year old also claimed to see a Golden Eagle but as I didn't I won't put it on the year list:-O

133. Goshawk:t:

Had a good morning out with a mate this morning. Finally the Little Owl at Sker Point showed itself and gave good views. At Sker Point the tide was out but we managed to pick out some distant Purple Sandpipers. This is usually a good spot for them. Good to hear plenty of Skylarks singing. Good numbers of Meadow Pipits and Stonechats present but we couldn't connect with the Wheatears that had been seen earlier.

Heaps of school children were at Kenfig Pool enjoying some outdoor classes.

Had a quick look at Aberavon for some Turnstones but no joy.

134. Little Owl B :)B :)
135. Purple Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 118
Had a cracking couple of hours at RSPB Dinas today. Didn't see the hoped for Marsh Tits but the Yellowhammers were a welcome distraction. It's got to be one of my favourite reserves. I'll definitely be back in 6 weeks or so for the Redstarts/ Wood Warblers etc.

The journey up gave plenty of Red Kites, Buzzards and a Kestrel. On the way back we stopped off to check a site for Ring Ouzels. No joy there but the first Wheatear of the year was great. A female Peregrine also put in an appearance:t:

136. Wheatear

Attachments

• IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    629 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 145
Some Yellowhammer grabs:

Attachments

• IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 128
Headed down to Kenfig Pool for a quick half hour this morning following a message on Twitter from @oriolebirding��

A couple of CBC members were already there and were as extremely helpful as usual. Spending a lot of time in the reeds the reported Garganey could easily have been missed.

137. Garganey
138. House Martin
139. Sand Martin
140. Swallow.

Rich

Had a full day to myself yesterday so decided to make the most of it. I did my man calculations and the long staying Hoopoe (100days?) in Staffs was worth it. Rob, a local birder, gave me some excellent information and directions etc. but mentioned it had not been seen the day before.

Alarm set for 4:25 I was up and off. Decided to stop at Coombe Hill, Gloucs, on the way up. Glad I did as its a great little reserve. The bushes along the canal were stuffed with Chiffs, Goldfinch, Greenfinch etc. Be warned though. It's very muddy and the boardwalk was under water in places(ankle deep).

Had a chat with a local birder on arrival (Colin) and we set about looking through the large number of Eurasian Teal for the GWT. After 15 mins or so we located it but it was very distant.

Next it was up to Staffs. I spent an hour or so on site but couldn't find the Hoopoe at all. It was pretty cold and raining though so maybe it was hunkered down. I checked the Staffs website this morning and nobody else reported seeing it yesterday either:-C

141. Green Winged Teal Lifer #3

Rich

From here it was down to Severnside. The weather was now much improved and there were plenty of people using the coastal path (gotta love a Labrador:t:)

Along the path itself, just up from the bridge, was a White Wagtail. Easily close enough to see the grey rump. At Pilning Wetlands some Hirrundines were over the water there and some Teal and Shelduck on the estuary. Scanning dozens of Meadow Pipits I couldn't pick out the reported Water Pipits. Others had seen them though. Got chatting to a couple of decent locals at the second box who were watching a couple of Little Ringed Plovers. Superb looking birds in the sunlight. :t:

Again the bushes were full of Chiffs but also a couple of Willow Warblers.

142. White Wagtail
143. Little Ringed Plover
144. Willow Warbler

Decided to begin heading home now. A quick can of Red Bull provided the required caffeine and it was off to Goldcliff. Late afternoon is not the best time to visit the reserve as all bar one of the hides faces West. Still plenty around though. Seemed to be more Avocets there than I can remember seeing before. Lapwings, Blackwits and a Greenshank were all picked out from hide 1. A Spotted Redshank was also good to see.

Had planned to drop into Newport Wetlands where a Bittern has been reported booming. Unfortunately time had gotten away from me and I received a text from Sars to say she was ordering a Chinese. Newport Wetlands will have to wait:eat:3:)

Got home at about 6:30. Enjoyed a delicious Chinese and decent bottle of red. A good end to a very enjoyable days birding (despite dipping on the Hoopoeo:D)

145. Avocet

Rich

Had a cracking morning at Penclacwydd today. The sun was out and the birds were singing. A pair of Med Gulls were seen from the Herons Wing Hide in full Summer plumage. When showing a quick grab I took to a volunteer (?) warden, he was interested in the ring it was wearing. I can't praise the little SX50 enough sometimes, as when I got home I was able to crop an image, and tweet the code to the warden.

Around the reed beds were several Cettis, a couple of Sprawks, Dabchicks, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and countless Wrens belting out their tunes. A Garden Warbler had been heard by the Welsh Water Hide but I must admit I didn't pick it out. I was also an hour late for the Ruff and Lesser Whitethroat at the British Steel Hide. I was really after the first Blackcap of the year though. At Black Poplar Wood I heard the distinctive notes and sure enough there was a handsome male singing away. This was followed by 6 or 7 others - all males.

Over at the British Steel Hide the local fox put in a brief appearance and out the back there was a large flock of Blackwits with some Redshanks and Knot mixed in.

Now to plan Saturday's session;)

146. Blackcap
147. Knot

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 119
Had a day out birding round the Gower with a mate today. Overall it was surprisingly quiet. Missed out on the Chough at Rhosilli. The resident Ravens and Kestrels were present along with plenty of Stonechats and Wheatears. Plenty of evidence of nest building going on.

Over at the Burry Inlet there were more Wheatears along with a couple of Great Crested Grebes and a Red Breasted Merganser. A distant Sandwich Tern was also added to the list.

148. Sandwich Tern

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 119
Had a cracking day out with my old man today. Appears the Ring Ouzels are back a site I found last year:t: This was a first for my old man so he was well pleased.

Plenty of other birds around including Skylarks, Wheatears, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Kites, Ravens, Willow Warblers and the first Common Redstarts of the year.

149. Ring Ouzel
150. Common Redstart

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    619.3 KB · Views: 122
Nothing new to add today but had a decent walk up the Black Mountain (Carmarthenshire) with the old man. Despite our best efforts we were unable to locate any Dotterel. Plenty of Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Ravens and Wheatears but not the target bird. Weather didn't really help as it was snowing lightly when we arrived; cleared out at the top but started coming down heavier before we could reach the other Cairn.

Did see several Hooded Crows last weekend but as they were in Berlin I won't include themo:)o:)

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1291.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 120
Went out with the family to Garwnant today. Plenty of Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Kites, Jays etc. and almost in exactly the same tree as last year was species number 151.

151. Tree Pipit

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back