• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need recommendation for budget binoculars for kids (1 Viewer)

The Kowa YF 6x30 I use them Superb little pair of bins Eye cups stay put and have a a great clear sharp view.So good I got another pair just in case I loose them

I was actually checking out Vortex Vanquish binocs. Those and Yosemites 8x30 are currently on my list. Papilio doesn't seem to be sturdy enough for my two boys. :)

You have lots of suggestions, but it still comes back to the Yosemite.
It is not just a child's binocular or a toy, it is a very nice binocular, and
used by many nature lovers.

And be sure to get the 6x30 model, the 8x30 is not as good, I have
tried both. I have 3 on hand to give to my grandkids, when the time is
right.

Jerry

And be sure to get the 6x30 model, the 8x30 is not as good, I have tried both.

If I go with Yosemite, I would actually get the 8x30. I just do not see a reason to get exact same model (6x30) as I already have. The extra magnification may come in handy plus I can get them in a Mossy Oak camo which I know my kids would like. That of course unless the 8x30 is a lot worse optically.

The 8x30 is also quite good. Alone, it's a little jumpy for kids, but combined with
having the 6x30 on hand, you really have a nice variety of distances and depths to work with.
And...you have the familiar size and shape, so swapping is easy. The 6x30 will be for that
which is closer by and moves around more, the 8x30 for distance and/or studying what's still.

Drabina - You already have experience with the Yosemite 6x30 and thinking about going to 8x30 model? Jerry's post above (#22) matches my experience. It is not that the 8x30 is optically inferior,but rather its smaller EP makes is less bright and fussier to manage. And the field is smaller. The 6x30 IMO is a proven performer so why change horses in the middle of the stream? I have forgotten how many 6x30s I have given away and nary a complaint have reached my ears. I have some friends who own the best of the best and still will use the 6x30 as a knock around binocular. If it is stolen or badly damaged, no great calamity.

A tip for those of you who have used your Yosemite a lot and find the frame holding the barrels together starting to move with little effort, i.e., not stiff enough. I don't know what kind of polymer is being used, but I believe it has its own lubricating qualities. I have discovered a few judicious drops of Loc-Tite (blue) on the joints will stiffen things nicely. Give it a week or so and it should help. I see no evidence of damage to the polymer using this stuff.

John

......... I have some friends who own the best of the best and still will use the 6x30 as a knock around binocular. ............
John

I can only agree. I have several alpha type binoculars available, yet the Yosemite 6x30 model pleases me just as much optically and with its light weight. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the somewhat "sucking" feeling of the focus that is due to trying to make a porro waterproof. But nothing to keep me from buying other 6x30's when the time comes to give one to the grandchildren. My attempts with more compact models have been disappointing in that respect.

I can only agree. I have several alpha type binoculars available, yet the Yosemite 6x30 model pleases me just as much optically and with its light weight. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the somewhat "sucking" feeling of the focus that is due to trying to make a porro waterproof. But nothing to keep me from buying other 6x30's when the time comes to give one to the grandchildren. My attempts with more compact models have been disappointing in that respect.

Agree with John and Swissboy completely, I find the 6X30 to be the one I pick up more than any.

And you wont really have 2 of the same, your kids will have one like yours.
8X just isnt as friendly to me.

Here is another one to throw into the mix if you are looking for something different. For several years my two boys fought over who used this pair.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...niRfeJPtwB9uR8aAjJP8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

They are now 12 and 9 but I bought them three or more years ago. No problem with IPD obviously. Really easy view because of the low magnification and wide field of view. The downside is they are only fully-coated so not as contrasty as fully-multicoated models but my kids wanted to use them over their Yosemites and similar models.

Hi Frank,

I was just wondering how these (Bushnell xtra-Wide 4x30) may be for kids. Low mag, wide field, large EP (despite being just a 4x24 or so) and no need to focus sounds all perferct for kids.

Interesting to see you and your kids liked them. I found no info on the IPD, perhaps you could measure the min. IPD for us? Also they look a bit bulky, how they are compared to the Yosemite 6x30? Weight seems a bit lower...

Best, Florian

I am about to pull the trigger on a Yosemite clone, the Celestron Cypress 7x30. It looks to be a very close in specs to Yosemite with slightly better magnification. I guess my older son will get those and my younger one will get the Leupolds. I hope they are decent as I can't find a lot of reviews but they were mentioned here in this thread. They are also cheaper than Yosemites with free shipping.

I have not seen the Cypress, but it does look similar to the Leupold. Specs show an IPD of 52m compared to Leupold spec of 50mm for the 6X30. The Cypress specs say it if fully multicoated which is good.

B & H Photo has one review posted and it has the max of 5 stars. Their price is $57 and it includes a lens pen. Those are very handy for the brush and are worth having just for that. I do not have an opinion about the other end with the lens cleaner. B & H is known as a quality vendor with a good return reputation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917633-REG/celestron_71352_7x30_cypress_binocular.html

If you get it, please come back and let us know how it compares to the Leupold Yosemite, especially the eye cups and initial focus feel.

I have not seen the Cypress, but it does look similar to the Leupold. Specs show an IPD of 52m compared to Leupold spec of 50mm for the 6X30. The Cypress specs say it if fully multicoated which is good.

B & H Photo has one review posted and it has the max of 5 stars. Their price is $57 and it includes a lens pen. Those are very handy for the brush and are worth having just for that. I do not have an opinion about the other end with the lens cleaner. B & H is known as a quality vendor with a good return reputation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917633-REG/celestron_71352_7x30_cypress_binocular.html

If you get it, please come back and let us know how it compares to the Leupold Yosemite, especially the eye cups and initial focus feel.

It has a real wide FOV if the specs are correct. 430'@1000 yards.

Bob

OK then, Celestron Cypress 7x30 it is on the way. It should ship today with tomorrow's delivery (NY to NJ). Gotta love ordering from B&H.

Thanks to all who replied and provided valuable advice. Once I get the binoculars I will write small and non-scientific review comparing them to the Yosemites.

Good deal. B & H has always been great in my dealings with them.

You can't beat one day shipping. I had a package shipped Tuesday from the east coast via UPS and it will not be delivered out here till next Tuesday. :-C

I am looking forward to your comments on the Cypress.

Last edited:

The sucking feeling can actually help a little with hysteresis.
What's a lot worse is the 'stiction'. I didn't it because I'm sure Leupold
got the word, and the other clones don't have it now.
If you have sticky focusing, cycle the full range 3-4 times and you're good
for the day.

The sucking feeling can actually help a little with hysteresis.
What's a lot worse is the 'stiction'. I didn't it because I'm sure Leupold
got the word, and the other clones don't have it now.
If you have sticky focusing, cycle the full range 3-4 times and you're good
for the day.

Mine has excellent focusing, fortunately. And the ones I had bought for our school all had decent focus as well, though there was some variation. I had selected the best one for myself. :-O

I am looking forward to your comments on the Cypress.

That's a great opportunity for all of us to get a direct comparison. I'm particularly interested whether the Celestron provides equally clear stressfree views.
From the specs, it looks like a very interesting product. And from the pictures, I presume the tactile feel may be similar as well. To me, the Yosemite is probably the model I like best from the way it feels in the hands. And I'm comparing it here with several "alphas" again.

The Celestron binoculars arrived Friday. Today, I am going to take both out and do comparison. I should be able to post an update by Monday.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back