• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2015 (1 Viewer)

3 weeks to go til first Scottish trip of the year:t:. The weather here today is extremely squally so decided to stay in. The Shaun the Sheep Movie maybe on the cards:eek!:

Whilst making a cup of coffee this morning #112 was added at the base of the conifers out the back.

112. Treecreeper

Rich

Nice to have 2 year ticks before 7AM this morning from the balcony.

117. Long Tailed Duck
118. Common Scoter

Went for a walk to Findhorn Bay next and added:

119. Slavonian Grebe
120. Yellowhammer
121. Velvet Scoter Lifer#4 :t::t:B :)
122. Hooded Crow
123. Gannet

And Wales have just beaten the Irish to round off a fine day:king:

Rich

A great days birding today around the West of Scotland.

124. Ringed Plover
125. Ptarmigan
126. Black Throated Diver
127. Great Northern Diver

Rich

Ducked out after the game today with my youngest boy (congratulations to Ireland for winning the Championship:t:). A short walk around Usk Reservoir gave several Red Kite, Common Buzzards, Ravens, GSW, Goldfinch etc. The drive home gave my first Northern Wheatear of the year at Crai.

128. Northern Wheatear

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_7874.JPG
    IMG_7874.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7879.JPG
    IMG_7879.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7885.JPG
    IMG_7885.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 71
Had a quick hour at Penclacwydd this morning. The usual stuff along with some great views of Spotted Redshank. From here it was over to Sandy Water Park to look for the reported Greater Scaup. I only had 10 minutes before I had to leave to get my youngest from school. And there he was on the far west of the pond. One rubbish snap later and it was back to Neath

129. Greater Scaup

After picking the boy up he decided he wanted to go up the Gnoll. Nothing new to add to the list but 4 Goosander were unusual on the 2nd Pond and the female Goldeneye was there as well.

A couple of beautiful Staffies and a Black Lab were also up the Gnoll - very friendly dogs.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 53
As it's Easter I had both the boys with me today which was great. Headed down to Penclacwydd. Should have gone to the Boardwalk Hide as 4 Garganey were later reported. Heard a Cettis but didn't see it. A Green Woodpecker was also on the West side of the reserve. Did add from the Obsevatory:

130. Mediterranean Gull

Rich

Fantastic day in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion today. Decided to head to Cors Caron via Dinas RSPB Reserve. On the way, for the first time since I've had the car a fellow Scirocco driver waved. For some reason I didn't cringe as much as I used to when I used to drive the old man's camper:-O

At Dinas reserve were several Yellowhammers and a couple of Marsh Tits. These were watched whilst we had our bacon and egg rolls from Mile End Café in Llandovery. A couple od Red Kites and Common Buzzards also drifted over. This really is a great little reserve. We'll be back again in May/ June for the Redstarts and Wood Warblers etc.

131. Marsh Tit

Attachments

• IMG_7925.JPG
    IMG_7925.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7940.JPG
    IMG_7940.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 39
From here it was over to Cors Caron. Peregrine, more Buzzards, Kites etc. were seen on the way along with Skylarks, Wheatear, Stonechat etc. Cors Caron itself was fairly quiet with only a heap of raptors, Bullfinch, Treecreepers of note.

Back then into Carmarthenshire. 12 Whoopers, more Kites and Buzzards :eek!: along with the first Sand Martins of the year. Thanks to some advice from Wendell I also checked out the feeders in a particular garden. Whilst there the owner came to the door. I went over to explain myself but there was no need. What a fantastic lady (Julie):t:. She went on to enthuse about the birds visiting her garden and how lots of people often stopped. After being advised where best to look after about 10 mins sure enough species #132 arrived. Don't know if Julie reads BirdForum but if you do I hope you get over your hip operation soon girl.

132. Tree Sparrow
133. Sand Martin

From here it was back home. The only thing of note was coming back to my Vee Dub to find it parked amongst some BMW enthusiasts cars - Alpina Z4, M4, couple of M3's etc but the best of the lot (to my eyes) was the Z4M Coupe. A cracking little car.

Rich

The only negative of the day was getting stuck behind these numpties (not the words I was using in the car:-O). There was about 20 or so of them!! They insisted on riding side by side or even in 3's. On a single track road - FFS!:storm::storm::storm:

Thoughts of Animal House and the "RAMMING SPEED" scene were going through my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_7924.JPG
    IMG_7924.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 52
Great day today. Decided to head to the Far East and the land of the rising sun this morning. Anyway. An hour after picking up the old man we arrived at Newport Wetlands Centre. Now here's where I normamlly say I dipped on the Beardies again, blah, blah, blaho:D. But, after more than a dozen visits - not today Woody:king: This was made all the sweeter as my father was with me. 4 Bearded Tits were watched for quite some time.

All in all he had 4 lifers and I had 1. Plus the first Swallow and Willow Warbler of the year.

134. Cetti's Warbler (more than half a dozen of these though many more were heard)
135. Bearded Tits Lifer# 5 B :)B :):D:D:bounce:
136. Marsh Harrier
137. Willow Warbler
138. Garganey (handsome male)
139. Swallow

Rich

Last edited:
Had another cracking day's birding today. Wasn't expecting to add anything to the year list but just wanted a bit of peace and quiet on my own. As it happens I added a couple but for obvious reasons I've omitted the locations.

First stop of the day was Cwm Cadlan. A lovely little reserve. Thought there maybe the off chance of a Tree Pipit but there were none that I could see, or hear. The walk to the top of the hill was great. At least 3 Green Woodpeckers present along with Common Buzzards, Swallows, Grey Heron, Reed Buntings, Meadow Pipits etc. etc. At the top, being such a nice day, the views were stunning. I almost had a Lochindorb moment as I could quite easily have drifted off listening to Skylarks and Ravens.|=o|. Not going to happen though.

From here it was a fair old drive to the next location. Treecreepers, Siskin, Pheasant, LTT's and Common Buzzards were all present. On the way back a hawk came into view which raised the heartbeat. Quickly getting the Trinnies on it showed a female Sparrowhawk. A little further back along the track and I could hear what I thought was a young Buzzard. Another hawk came into view. Holy Moly!!!!!! A stonking great male Goshawk - the best view I have ever had. A Common Buzzard started giving it a seriously hard time which was the sound I could hear. It was time for a celebratory Bacon Sarnie with brown sauce:eat:

Next it was onto another location. Somewhere I'd always been meaning to hike to as it looked like a prime location for our rarest Thrush. Having found myself a suitable rock to rest against I sat and waited. A couple of Ravens that had been keeping an eye on me along the trail were cronking overhead. A couple of Wheatears checked a prospective nesting area. A pair of Kestrels did a mini display above. Then she appeared - Ring Ouzel:t:. For fear of causing a disturbance I did not stay long. A short distance up the track and her mate showed herself. Male and Female Ring Ouzels at a site that (to the best of my knowledge) is not in the public domain. I will be e-mailing the county recorder. To say that I was chuffed was somewhat of an understatemento:D

This was the end to a very good day's birding8-P

140. Goshawk (stonking male)
141. Ring Ouzels (M+F)

Rich

Went for a spin this afternoon to see if there were any migrants about. Certainly more Swallows and a few Wheatear. Also had another Green Woodpecker just North of Ystradfellte - seems like they are having a good year. Added a pair of the following which appeared to be checking out nest sites:

142. Stock Doves

Rich

Last edited:
Beautiful day here in South Wales today. Grabbed a quick hour out with my 4 year old this afternoon. Plenty of Common Buzzards on the thermals. Wheatears, Mippits, Stonechats, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs etc. on the drive up to Garwnant.

At Garwnant, whilst the boy was on the swings, several Crossbills were flying in the tree tops along with a few Siskin. Couldn't find the hoped for Lesser Redpolls though.

The short walk back across the car park did give an unexpected beauty of a bird though:

143. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker:t::D:D

Rich

Had a look for the Great Spotted Cuckoo this morning but no joy. Bloody freezing up there as well in the wind. Tried a couple of other locations whilst we were out and about. Previously located Rouzels were still there so hopefully they are a breeding pair. Also found a Kestrels nest.

Added the following:

144. Common Redstart (Cwm Cadlan)
145. Common Cuckoo (Cwm Cadlan)
146. House Martin (Penderryn)

All in all an enjoyable morning out with my work colleague -Kev. Even if he is a very nervous passenger!:-O

Rich

Really enjoying other people's lists this year. That brace of Owls by Gus must have been fantastic. I added Alpine Swift, Hoopoe, Red-Rumped Swallow, Crag Martin and YLG on the weekend but unfortunately none were in the UK.

Rich

Quick hour at Penclacwydd today. A few Med Gulls and Greenshanks around. Also had my first Blackcap and Common Sandpiper of the year.

A male Bullfinch was also looking great in the sun.

147. Blackcap
148. Common Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_8055.JPG
    IMG_8055.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8076.JPG
    IMG_8076.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8085.JPG
    IMG_8085.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8095.JPG
    IMG_8095.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 39
Question - Fight or Flight?

You see this running toward you in the Portugese hills - fight or flight?

Attachments

• IMAG0768_1.jpg
    IMAG0768_1.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 42
And of course the answer in neither flight nor fight but FUSS - what a softie.o:D

Attachments

• IMAG0769 (1).jpg
    IMAG0769 (1).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back